exhaust coating options

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
what and where are a guys options on coating a set of headers. These are raw, never been painter or even ran. Besides chroming (I'm checking into cost on that), what else can be done? I know from the header manufacturers you can get ceramic coatings but who does that ? Also will powder coating last ? what else is there and who does it?
thanks

#-o#-o

There is a product out now for the DIY'er. You can ceramic coat your own headers at home.

Engine Power did a test of it a while back, and it fared pretty darn good. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but maybe do a search on PowerNation TV and see if you can find the vid.

It comes in a spray can.

My dad got his 360 manifolds done by jet-hot. I can't remember the price (like 4 years ago) but they look good, and ceramic coating is easy to clean.

I am looking at this, Not sure what the techs here have to say about it yet, I have new headers aswell

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8WRUGl-3yk"]Hi-Temp Internal Exhaust Coating Paint from Eastwood - YouTube[/ame]

My dad got his 360 manifolds done by jet-hot. I can't remember the price (like 4 years ago) but they look good, and ceramic coating is easy to clean.

Jet hot :cheers:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttXkL5LcD-4"]Jet-Hot on Motorhead Garage - YouTube[/ame]

Ceramic coating can be done at home as I was told by Leanna. Get a hold of her and she will let you know what is required. JMO

Depends on where you live??? I live in S. Texas near the ocean. Salt air, high humidity!! I paid for expensive Jet Hot coating (inside and out)....it lasted about 1 1/2 years before it started to show corrosion. Never again!!! If you live in a relatively low humidity area with no salt in the air then almost anything will last.
Treblig

If you want to DIY it you can use Cerakote Chromex but they to have tumbled or polished because they come out of the oven looking like they went it - flat.

beforeafter.jpg

They were about $350 a couple years ago when I had mine re-done. Lifetime warranty so they'll do them free if you take them back rusted up or whatever.

I've done several sets with Performance Coatings in Jonesboro, GA. Fantastic & long lasting results. Less expensive than Jet Hot. They actually do header coatings for one of the big 3 header manufacturers. Performance Coatings 9768 Feagin Road, Jonesboro, GA 30236
(770) 478-2775

There used to be a guy near me that alumacoated headers, it was like a fine aluminum coating, that was sprayed on. I had a set done in the 80's and there still holding up. I don't hear about this process anymore. Did anyone hear of this?

I am buying a set of dougs and was wondering about at home coating options to keep heat low, if I go the raw option... still not sure about 600+ for a ceramic coating...

Just did my cast manifolds yesterday. Used 1200' hte Sand blasted , cleaned and sprayed. Didn't have oven to cure (wife) so used rosebud tip on torch and digital thermometer. Heated to 200', cooled 30 min. Heated to 400', cooled 30 min. Heated to 600' and let cool. Trying to follow directions on can. Torch didn't phase the coating, but directed heat to interior as even as possible thru each port. Looks good, will try to remember to let you know how it turns out.
Yote

I was once told buy a powder coat guy who did some work for me and owned his own coating company that any good powder coater can do a good ceramic coating job on headers, inside and out, for a reasonable cost. He did great work for me. I've never had headers done but it makes sense.

There is some powder coating that can withstand high heat, the place by me said they have done headers and turbo exhaust side and haven't had people come back and complain it flaked off. They are working on getting ceramic coating. They do some good work, did my bumpers will have them do my exhaust once I get to that point

High temp powders are only good to about 1200 degrees, and regular "cosmetic" powder coating won't last on exhaust applications.

I was looking at doing that ceramic coat thing. But the guy near here that does it wants $250. And I'm on a budget, that's my new rear gears! I got a can of VHT, so I'm gunna blast em, wipe em clean with acetone, spray, let cure for 48. Then run em through the proper heat cycle on my car. Might not reduce temps as well as the special ceramic coat, but I've always heard it works well.

Lustle, it's more of an 'insurance policy' to retard deterioration and corrosion later. But it's your car ... :-D

I am buying a set of dougs and was wondering about at home coating options to keep heat low, if I go the raw option... still not sure about 600+ for a ceramic coating...

Look on the autozone site for a 20% off coupon and they are right at $500. Maybe get summit or jegs to match.

any body try Calyx? I have some but haven't used it yet.
I have used hi heat Cast Blast and satin hi heat clear coat...lasted
about 5 yrs but my cars live in a heated shop.

-
Back