exhaust issues with newer smog heads

-

waggin

moving on ain't easy if you drive a Ford :p
Reaction score
the 273 drivers side manifold will not fit with the later style heads such as 302's grinding the head in that area is a big No-No as it has a water port there, so be careful or you'll have a broken 273 manifold on your hands

Attachments

• lotsaparts 045.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 200
  • lotsaparts 046.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 186
  • lotsaparts 047.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 202
  • lotsaparts 048.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 211
Have you tried a double gasket? It might just clear. Cometic has been a big help, they can give you almost any thickness you want.

..........could u not do alittle grinding on the head and manifold to make them work.....i've used thick header gaskets on 67 up 318s....kim....

it will take about 1/4" of gaskets to fix the problem.I posted this up to save some headache's for others, friend of mine did this to his car and I have the broken manifold and the head that got trashed. just had the camera in hand while I was digging for something else

I have done it on mine. At first I tried to just take it from the head and hit the water jacket as soon as it cleared. My 2nd attempt was 1/2 from the head and 1/2 from the manifold and that worked nice.

I ground down the lower port casting just a bit, same on the manifold and made spacers with 1/4 aluminum plate for the ports. I had done the same thing your buddy did with another set of heads and it took 6 years before the water jacket rusted through.

Couldn't the water port be welded closed again ?

Good info. I think I would just use the right head and be did wif it.

I broke 2 manifolds before I figured out the problem. Had one manifold welded and then ground the head while still in the car. I was unaware of the water jacket issue. I guess I got lucky. The manifold fits and no leaks from the head. The 1st one I broke I thought I had the gasket pinched or something, nope...

I have the later A-body 318 manifolds on my '70 dart with '83 smog heads with the air injection bosses. I carefully ground down the head till the drivers side manifold fit. I use exhaust dealer with no gaskets. No problems so far.

Sorry Waggin, I have the 302's on my 273, but never tried the OE manifolds on the engine. ;)

It's ok dawg just tryin to save folk's some headache, the 302 heads are awesome that's why we have this thread, the manifold and the head were both learning experiences so figured a good idea to share........:glasses7:
Sorry Waggin, I have the 302's on my 273, but never tried the OE manifolds on the engine. ;)

Hay curtis, I know you didn't put this in the mix.....but I bet the Dakota manifolds will fit that late model head. At any rate, it's good info. Might keep somebody from bustin a otherwise good mannyfold.

-
Back