Exhaust leak at the choke stove

-

B Taylor

Reaction score
I have been trying to get this exhaust leak closed but I have not. On my exhaust where the choke stove is, leaks. I have the cover and I bolt it down but it still blows out. Main issue maybe that I can not find a stock gasket and most materials I use are not good for exhaust (Heat).
What have any of you used that holds?

By your description, you're working with a '70-'72 exhaust manifold, the kind with the open-hole choke stove. '60-'69 and '73-up manifolds have a cast-in pocket with no path to the interior of the exhaust manifold.

The '70-'72 type is prone to exhaust leaks. The stainless steel choke cup warps, and the correct gasket is no longer available (the V8 gasket is, but it's not the same/doesn't fit), so your options are either to seal up what you have or swap to a different manifold. If you decide to try to fix what you have, you'll have better luck making a flat steel blockoff plate about 1/8" thick of the correct shape and size; that way you'll at least have a sturdier clamping surface for your homemade gasket. Also this way you can have a solid piece of gasket material instead of a much flimsier open-centred ring of material. Use Remflex material to make your new gasket. Discard the original choke cup and thermostat and plunk a № 1231 Electric choke kit on top of your new blockoff plate.

I have been trying to get this exhaust leak closed but I have not. On my exhaust where the choke stove is, leaks. I have the cover and I bolt it down but it still blows out. Main issue maybe that I can not find a stock gasket and most materials I use are not good for exhaust (Heat).
What have any of you used that holds?
Did you ever attempt what was suggested by slantsixdan? I have a 70' dodge dart swinger 225 with the same situation. Are there any alternatives other than what was suggested?

Yes, I bought the gasket material and cut to fit. As of now no exhaust leaks.
How is it now? Any leaking? I'm about to do this for my dart. Had to put the project on hold. Did you use the block off plate to completely seal or put a choke cup on? If the former, did you get the electric choke kit?

-
Back