Exhaust manifold restore

-

pyrojim

Reaction score
Who has done what to restore exhaust manifolds??
Paint, powder coat?? Something?? Nothing?
318 mild build with a stock exhaust!
Thanks.
Jim

I had mine sand blasted, then I painted them with POR manifold gray and a foam brush. Still looking good and doesn't scratch off like spray paint will. I bought the smallest size can and applied 2 coats and only used half the can.

Had mine powder coated

Attachments

• 360 manifold (Medium).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 492
  • 36001 (Medium).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 472
  • 36004 (Medium).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 503
I had the headers on my 71 powder coated, wasn't real impressed. Flaked off, etc. maybe it was the craftsmanship. Yours look great by the way!

I used the por manifold paint and it flaked right off. On the Challenger I just blasted them and painted them engine color. They were originally painted with the engine so engine color is correct. Most of it has burned off but there is still blue around the flanges.

I used the Easdtwood cast paint but I couldn't put them on and heat them up to cure them. It has been quite a few years but they are rusting through the silver. Not a problem though. I had expected that to happen. Nothing lasts forever.

I had mine sand blasted, then I painted them with POR manifold gray and a foam brush. Still looking good and doesn't scratch off like spray paint will. I bought the smallest size can and applied 2 coats and only used half the can.

Do you have any pics ? How long has it been?

Curious about how it looks when brushed.

I sand blasted my 340 exhaust manifolds, metal conditioned them with PPG Metal Conditioner DX520 and painted them with Bill Hirsch high temp cast iron manifold coating in 2001 and they still look like as great as the day I painted them.

I get tons of comments on the look of my exhaust manifolds. The Bill Hirsch stuff was brush on out of a quart can. It spread really thinly with absolutely no brush lines at all.

I see they just have the spray can on their website though.

Properly prepped and applied VHT 2000* primer and paint will last forever. It says FLAME PROOF on the can.

I use Eastwood factory Greg manifold paint.
Stuff works really well. With any paint,prep is key.

I sandblasted dads and used the POR. Not impressed....my prep might not have been the greatest, but the POR is discoloring with only about 1000 miles on them.

By the way I have used POR on my Kframe and it turned out great. Both Kframe and Manis were brushed on without a brush mark. Here's pic of my kframe

Attachments

• my kframe.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 331

Off the car now, got my headers. Prob ran em a year, been off a couple more. The brush marks disappear when you run them on the car.

Attachments

• 140130_006.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 368
Has anyone ever used Rust bullet or even heard of it?

I use it for suspension, and inside/outside of the undercarriage , but I do not believe it is really rated for manifolds.

just checked the website, I think you would be on the ragged edge...but if you do it, let us know how if works!

from the site:

After*fully*cured,*Rust*Bullet*coatings*have*a*service*temperature*range*of*314°F*(157°C)*continuous,*and*can*tolerate*maximum*temperatures*
between*617°‐*662°F*(325°‐350°C)*for*up*to*72*hours.**

I tried the Bill Hersh last night on a Durango manifold (2 1/8" outlet). Did it with a foam brush and it looks really good. I am going to fire up the barbeque and cook it for an hour at 400 degrees and see how it looks.

I did order some Por-15 Factory Manifold Gray and I will try that on the original 273 manifolds for comparison.

I blasted the manifolds clean with #70 aluminum dioxide.

P1100050.jpg

P1100051.jpg

A little shiny now but I am sure they will die down a bit after I cook it.

I tried the Bill Hersh last night on a Durango manifold (2 1/8" outlet). Did it with a foam brush and it looks really good. I am going to fire up the barbeque and cook it for an hour at 400 degrees and see how it looks.

I did order some Por-15 Factory Manifold Gray and I will try that on the original 273 manifolds for comparison.

I blasted the manifolds clean with #70 aluminum dioxide.

P1100050.jpg

P1100051.jpg

A little shiny now but I am sure they will die down a bit after I cook it.

The Bill Hirsch paint will flatten down when cooked. This paint has lasted on my manifolds 12 years and still looks awesome.

I hope you will be happy with it.

When did you buy your pint?

I only saw spray paint cans of the cast iron gray on his site.

Is the brush on pint can still available?

Looking to buy another pint can for future.

Well, I bought the POR 15. Gonna tap the holes andbolt where I took the butterfly out and paint it tomorrow. Going manifold grey I think.
Thanks for all the input!!
Jim

The Bill Hirsch paint will flatten down when cooked. This paint has lasted on my manifolds 12 years and still looks awesome.

I hope you will be happy with it.

When did you buy your pint?

I only saw spray paint cans of the cast iron gray on his site.

Is the brush on pint can still available?

Looking to buy another pint can for future.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Hirsch-Cast-Iron-Gray-Hi-Temp-Exhaust-Manifold-Paint-Pint-BH-CIP-/360653914692?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item53f8a60244&vxp=mtr"]Bill Hirsch Cast Iron Gray Hi Temp Exhaust Manifold Paint Pint BH CIP | eBay[/ame]

-
Back