Exhaust system recommendations

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
The car is a 65 valiant with a 170 /6, manual transmission.

Been looking at getting rid of the glass pack the previous owner installed and replacing it with something a little quieter. Currently, the front pipe measures at 1.6" and the rear is at 2".

What's a reasonably "cheap" source for a new system that won't lighten my kids wallet too much?

Thanks

-=C

Local exhaust shop made mine for a 63 Valiant at a cost of $130.Complete from engine to rear bumper.That was about 6 years ago I'm sure now will be in the $200 range. If you have a good auto part store (Not the popular chain stores) they may still be able to get the pipes for you. I know the muffler still is available.

Find a shop with a bender, shouldnt cost too much for a single exhaust. Go 2 1/4" and it will give it a decent sound. A dynomax standard muffler should work good and they are fairly cheap.

Find a shop with a bender, shouldnt cost too much for a single exhaust. Go 2 1/4" and it will give it a decent sound. A dynomax standard muffler should work good and they are fairly cheap.
Perfect!

If you are going to go the route of the custom bent exhaust, use the 2 1/4 from the manifold back to the muffler and then 2” from the muffler out to the bumper. The exhaust gas has cooled and condensed enough by that point that 2” is all you need. Plus it gets rid of the hollow drone noise a single exhaust slant can create. I went with a walker quiet flow and it’s okay. Not as loud a a turbo muffler. The noise is fun with a loud exhaust....at first. Especially if this is a daily driver.

I made one myself for my slant 6. I ran a 6/1 header and 3" exhaust all the way to the back. Cheap and easy.

On my 225 Slant6 I run Hooker headers 3 into 1 from the collectors back I have 2.25” Aluminized pipe w/ “H” pipe crossover all the way back through 2, 26” Glass Pak Walker mufflers, one for each side. Around the tank to 2 Cuda style bright tips. This was a few years ago and ran me $350.00, it sounds fine to me, but still exhaust through Glass paks.

Amazingly enough, I was able to order a complete stock replacement system for my '64 Dart (6 cylinder). I went to the local auto store and had them bust out their Wagner catalog. I'm pretty sure that was the brand. I special ordered it and it was a simple bolt in. It was inexpensive, looked stock and I loved it. Maybe you could find the part numbers on Rock Auto's site, then take the numbers to your local auto store. I try to support local businesses as much as I can, by trying to NOT order stuff online. I realize that's not always possible...

-
Back