Exhaust tips

-

Shenango

Reaction score
the chrome tips on my 70 seem to be sticking out too far. The hanger seems to be in the right place and the tips are as far as they can go on the pipes. I have looked at many pics on the interweb but most rear pics have different tips or are not clear enough. I have faith that someone here can help.

exhaust tips.JPG

I think a lot of the tips are designed to work with TTI exaust which repositions there own tip hangers more forward

Those look like 69 dart tips. I think the 70 dart tips are the same as the 69 cuda tips which are shorter, because they both have the rolled pans under the bumpers. Here is a picture of mine. I will actually be selling them as I am switching to TTi exhaust.

IMG_1744.JPG

Those look like 69 dart tips. I think the 70 dart tips are the same as the 69 cuda tips which are shorter, because they both have the rolled pans under the bumpers. Here is a picture of mine. I will actually be selling them as I am switching to TTi exhaust.

View attachment 1715046179
If they'll work on a 70 Dart I would be interested in them if the OP isn't.

View attachment 1715046179
When you make the switch let me know, I might be interested in your old tips.
Jerry

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Just installed tips on 72 Demon from Accurate Ltd. Photos for your evaluation if it will help in any way. Not positive it is absolutely correct, just what I ended up with.
Yote

The last post shows the difference between the 69 dart style tips which are longer and have the hanger welded on the round section and the barracuda type which are shorter and have the hanger welded on the square outlet. For those of you possibly interested in mine, they are off the car now. They are stainless and have a 2 inch ID. They are designed to fit over the outside of the stock tailpipes as opposed to the stock tips which fit inside (1 7/8 OD). PM me if you are still interested.

I don't see how '70 Dart tips can be the same as '69 Cuda tips. Dodge tips are rectangular while Plymouth's are oval. Or they are supposed to be.

All I know is that Accurate Ltd. lists these as fitting a 69 Barracuda and a 70 Dart.

accurate tips.jpg

All I know is that Accurate Ltd. lists these as fitting a 69 Barracuda and a 70 Dart.

View attachment 1715046555
Interesting. I wonder if they supply you the correctly shaped tip depending on year/make/model? If anyone would know there is a difference between Dodge and Plymouth tips, they should. Or at some point did Mopar start using the same shape tips on all the cars?

the chrome tips on my 70 seem to be sticking out too far. The hanger seems to be in the right place and the tips are as far as they can go on the pipes. I have looked at many pics on the interweb but most rear pics have different tips or are not clear enough. I have faith that someone here can help.

View attachment 1715046170
To answer the original question, yes those are sticking out way too far. The ones in Yote's post look about right to me. I'd say ideally the top edge of the tip should extend a little beyond the bottom edge of the bumper.

If they stick out a bit the exhaust won't discolor the chrome on the bumper.
001.jpg

..factory spec they must not extend further than the bumper on any model
there are a gazillion repos now...and they are all similar but not the same

Dart and Barracuda tips look the same from the rear, almost rectangular and not oval or round. The 70 tips are one year only, but the Barracuda tips will work.

Question: These tips have a hook on them that slips into a bracket mounted on the car. Is the bracket something that you install to the frame or is it something that should already be there? I dont see anything like that on my 70 Duster. Just curious.

It's a bolt-on part. If the Duster wasn't factory equipped with the tips, those brackets won't be there. Or someone took them off?

-
Back