Exhausted Demon Frustration

-

HellerHighwater

Reaction score
Ran into some major brick walls in putting together a basket case Demon and need some help. ](*,)

Is there a difference in k members from one year 67-76 A body, automatic vs 4 speed, or difference in Slant 6 vs V8 steering boxes? CANNOT GET EVEN TTI's TO FIT!!!

Have a 72 /6 Demon automatic bought from someone that was in the middle of converting it to a 340 4 Speed. Floor pan changed. Owner said it had the new K member and "all" the parts needed. Wrong... Here's just a few of the many things I have run into-

*bell housing was from a 276 Commando, got the right bell housing

*tried to put engine in- wrong k member, pulled it and put in the right V8 K member

*tried again with a set of headers- ran into steering box/arm, spent the money and got TTI headers (ouch)

*tried again with the TTI's and same problem- ran into power steering box and arm. Engine won't drop into motor mount holes in frame. Hangs up on the p/s arm and box.

*pulled steering box, looked at a 70 Swinger and the box bolt holes are in different locations on the K member. Current steering box cast #2267262.

Does anyone have any information on this, or ran into this before? TTI's should clear, but won't. Any help would be greatly appreciated! dheller@chartercom.com

68-72 K-frames three types:

SB V8
/6
BB V8
All have biscuit type motor mount

73-76 K-frames two types:

V8
/6
All have spool motor mount

67 K-frame three types and the idler arm mount is different:

SB V8
BB-V8
/6
All have biscuit type motor mount
I prefer the 73-76 with the spool mount.

Steering box shold mount in same location for all.

If you are using the bicuit type mount you may need to shim the motor up for TTI's to fit. That is how the the mock-up at the spring flings in so-cal was done.

Hope this helps you.

I have spoken with an A Body guy and went throught the possibilities. K member is correct, motor mounts are correct, power steering gearbox is correct, on and on... TTI's still won't clear gearbox shaft. Trying to use a /6 motor mount to get a little clearance on the drivers side and then see if we can get the headers to clear. His advice is throw away the headers and go back to the stock exhaust...

I am ready to take up that advice soon- anyone interested in a brand new set of TTI's with 0 miles... lol

Anyone have any experience dealing with this kind of header clearance problem? :-k Thanks!

Not to sound like an a$$hole, but are you sure those TTI headers are for an a-body? This is the first time I have ever heard of someone having a problem installing them. And if you throw do them away, throw them in my direction.

Headache Remedied!

Realizing the clearance was within a 1/4 - 1/2 inch or so, an A Body fanatic friend (and header hater) told me to try using a /6 motor mount (less than 5 Bucks @ NAPA) on the DRIVERS SIDE... Voila! With a little persuasion and removing the back tranny mount, the motor mounts dropped into the K member and gave me just enough clearance for EVERYTHING.

Hmmmm... Seems easy now - And, I guess TTI's DO fit! I will let you know when the key turns. . .

Thanks for the PM's and replys!

-
Back