Explore rear disc brakes

-

amzchad

Reaction score
I heard of using the ford explore rear disc brakes on the rear ends of our mopars

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

chad

They'll fit the rears without tapered bearings. Help me out here, guys, the 8 3/4s need to be fitted with green bearings for this swap, right?

There is this summit kit SUM-BK1329. And yes I believe you need the green bearings.

Maybe the Jeep 8 1/4 rear disc will bolt on. The difference is the bottom bolt won't bolt up as the Jeep uses the 8 1/4 with 4 bolts, or maybe it could be just drilled out.
I think someone has done this swap on FABO, so hopefuly they will chime in.

There is this summit kit SUM-BK1329. And yes I believe you need the green bearings.

Maybe the Jeep 8 1/4 rear disc will bolt on. The difference is the bottom bolt won't bolt up as the Jeep uses the 8 1/4 with 4 bolts, or maybe it could be just drilled out.
I think someone has done this swap on FABO, so hopefuly they will chime in.

I've seen the swap done over at dippy.org on the 8 1/4 using the Explorer brakes, but like you, I was hoping someone who's done the swap was going to throw it out there.

Chad and I were talking about this last night. I just picked up a 1998 ford exploder rear axle with the disk brakes. It was one of the clunkers at the dealership. So I got it for free. I am hoping to do the swap in the next few months. I will keep everyone informed and if anyone can offer advice. I would be very happy.

I was trying to fit '96 jeep Grand Cherokee disk on my 8 3/4 last night. Disks fit fine, but the caliper adapter is 3/8" thick and causes the bearing to barely engage the axle housing. I have the green bearings on yukon axles as info. I am trying to figure out a way to modify the caliper adapters and make it work. Any suggestions?

I have 96 explorer disk brakes on a 8 3/4 rear end. Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of how it was done as I bought the rear end with the conversion already done.

I got the rear from 446acuda on BBD.

There are some pictures of the brakes and rear here

I am doing this swap also, but it's going on a big bearing 9" under the dart. I pulled mine from an Exploder for $40. The only issue that I am going to have is getting the fords parking brake cables tied into the darts cables and make it look good. Looking forward to pictures.

I have 96 explorer disk brakes on a 8 3/4 rear end. Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of how it was done as I bought the rear end with the conversion already done.

I got the rear from 446acuda on BBD.

There are some pictures of the brakes and rear here

In them photos they look like Ford housing ends. I could be wrong.

The Explorer rear disc brakes use a large piston size. You need to match that with the proper front caliper size and master cylinder size or else the system won't work. Big piston size in the back with smaller calipers up front means the car will spin.

I have stock 73 front disks with a stock 73 disk/drum MC (w/ residual value removed) and teh explorer disks in the back

Would you all say that it is worth it just to buy a kit vs making your own?

how are you making these brakes off the explorer work on the mopar rear end,are you changing the housing ends.thanks for any info.

-
Back