External oil cooler??

-

Lazares81

"Mopar: You're either with us, or behind us!"
Reaction score
Was curious if any of you guys are currently running an external engine oil cooler,/ or and external transmission fluid cooler? I am getting ready to install my 360 and bring my project to a close, i was reading there is theory of more power and life of your motor by running the cooler and keeping oil between 180 and 210 degrees any thoughts or past expierences?

I am running a trans cooler on my scamp and coronet. I figure the cooler the better. To much heat kills mechanical parts.

Ask oldmanmopar, he has one on his car (plus its installed beautifully).

the 87 gran fury cop car i pulled my drivetrain from for my 66 had external trans, oil, and power steering coolers. I janked em all. currently in running an external trans cooler (B&M) as a standalone unit, eventually ill piggyback it with the cooler in my american-eagle radiator, as for the oil cooler, i need to retrofit the mounting bracket to make it work, but in that factory application it fed out of the 1/8 pipe thread port in the back of the block, through a 3/8 steel line along the fenderwell, Teed off to the oil pressure sensor and a light switch, fed into the cooler, and returned through the inner fuel pump mounting bolt, obviously hollowed out, and had a rubber flex line that was crimped to the special bolt. I will run this when this snow melts off and i can work with it.

I run a oil cooler on mine along with a oil temp thermostat to control it. You also don't want the oil to run too cold. Also have a trans. cooler on mine. Heat is an auto trans. killer. Here's a pic of my remote oil filter and thermostat/oil cooler setup. The bottom picture is looking up at the oil cooler mounted behind the grill. You can also see one end of the longitudal trans. cooler in that pic.

Attachments

• DSC03105.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC03106.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC03110.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC03109.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 330
thank you for all your input and advice. much appreciated, i think i'm gonna run 2 external coolers one for the trans and one for the engine oil. ill post some pics and updates eventually. i wish i could make more rapid progress and keep consistent updates but ey i work the auto repair buisness im lucky to get one day a month to work on my own car and normally that day im in such a rush to get to the shop i forget my camera or forget to take pictures lol

fishy does some real slick work! looks really nice!

-
Back