External voltage regulator to internal voltage regulator?

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
My 69 has a 1 wire alternator and the voltage regulator is on the firewall. What would I need to do to convert to a alternator with a internal regulator?

If you have a firewall regulator you do not have a "one wire" alternator Is this the original Mopar setup? Then you have an alternator with one field connection. Modern replacement regulators are almost all or all solid state. There is no advantage to an internal (integral) VR. Mopar never made such a thing. There are some aftermarket add-ons, the only ones I've seen are NOT internal, they are a small box that bolts to the rear of the alternator

Now try asking the real question?

What are you doing and why are you trying to do it?

I have a voltage regulator on the firewall. Yes I meant 1 field. Yes I am looking at Summit racing for a new alternator. I see a lot of them are internal regulator alternators. I did find a 1 field 80 amp alternator external regulator, I may just buy it.

Well you need to be careful. Stock wiring does not hold up well to large alternators, much over 50A and especially now that these girls are old. Read this article for the why of it. If you want a great big alternator you need to do something to bypass the ammeter

Catalog

Well you need to be careful. Stock wiring does not hold up well to large alternators, much over 50A and especially now that these girls are old. Read this article for the why of it. If you want a great big alternator you need to do something to bypass the ammeter

Catalog
Thanks, that article was very informative and I understand now the limitations inherent in my 68 Barracuda. So im at a cross roads. The harness is out so I have the opportunity to inspect every inch. The car is a shell save for running gear and built 340 ( original 318 is shelved). I am doing a final fit up with headers and will run in the new 340 before final disassembly. I would like a chrome alternator to match all the other chrome. I'm running a stock distributor upgraded with Pertronix electronic ignition. No stereo plans. No A/c plans. Knowing the electrical limitations of this system it sounds like an internally regulated alternator has no advantage. I think I'll look for a 50 amp,chrome, non 1 wire alternator if there is such a thing Your thoughts?

Sure you can get higher output. "The thing is" first, "do you want' the old round back style for "restore correct" and if not get a 73/ish and later "squareback' which has improved low charging output. In that whole series though, I think it was the 45-47A output had better low output than some of the higher output units.

The other thing is there are LOTS of ways to fly depending on your budget and so on, how correct you want the car and so on.

Since there are few cars (only up through 69) that are grounded field, and since you are looking towards chrome (aftermarket) you may have to settlel for an isolated field, and ground one of them for the old style regulator

many guys disparage the old style regulator, but all replacements I've seen are actually solid state, so the oldl criticisms don't really apply

Sure you can get higher output. "The thing is" first, "do you want' the old round back style for "restore correct" and if not get a 73/ish and later "squareback' which has improved low charging output. In that whole series though, I think it was the 45-47A output had better low output than some of the higher output units.

The other thing is there are LOTS of ways to fly depending on your budget and so on, how correct you want the car and so on.

Since there are few cars (only up through 69) that are grounded field, and since you are looking towards chrome (aftermarket) you may have to settlel for an isolated field, and ground one of them for the old style regulator

many guys disparage the old style regulator, but all replacements I've seen are actually solid state, so the oldl criticisms don't really apply

Square back is OK with me. I already have the solid state regulator from Tuff Stuff. So I don't know if I'm clear on all of the nomenclature nuances, Lets say I go chrome, I thought all I had to key in on is either single wire (internally regulated) or externally regulated. Can you expand on your comment regarding "isolated field"
Thanks
Tim

-
Back