Extra electric fan?

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 512 rb that thankfully runs relatively cool. While driving around town in 90* weather it stays around 190. It may creep up to 195-200 if left idling for more than a few minutes. It has a stock mopar 7 blade fan and aluminum shroud I installed.

The cramped engine bay gets super hot and I wanted to cool it down after I stopped, like at a show or the strip. Would an extra pusher electrical fan be worth the effort to install? Also would it restrict flow that otherwise is working well? Any advice appreciated. I have a Holley super sniper with fan control capability but I am not sure that the controls would work after the ignition is off. I would like to have the fans run to cool it down while sitting and not running.

A pusher fan in front of the radiator will restrict the air flow. You're current setup seems to be working well, not sure I'd mess with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! IMO 65'

I did not care for the "look of it" but someone here found photos where someone had installed some exhaust blowers up in the inner fenders

If yours is not puking and not going much above 200 it is not technically overheating. A 512 in that tiny engine bay doesn't have much radiation room LOL

The coolant temps do not get too high but there is no room to dissipate the heat from the headers and block. It gets hot in there and I just lost a starter that I think was from heat.

I have a 512 rb that thankfully runs relatively cool. While driving around town in 90* weather it stays around 190. It may creep up to 195-200 if left idling for more than a few minutes. It has a stock mopar 7 blade fan and aluminum shroud I installed.

The cramped engine bay gets super hot and I wanted to cool it down after I stopped, like at a show or the strip. Would an extra pusher electrical fan be worth the effort to install? Also would it restrict flow that otherwise is working well? Any advice appreciated. I have a Holley super sniper with fan control capability but I am not sure that the controls would work after the ignition is off. I would like to have the fans run to cool it down while sitting and not running.

A pusher fan in front of the radiator will restrict the air flow. You're current setup seems to be working well, not sure I'd mess with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! IMO 65'

200°F is not hot, that's a normal operating temperature. Remember the stock thermostat was a 195°. On the factory gauge 200*F isn't anywhere near maxed out, pegged on the stock gauge is over 230°F.

212°F is not boiling if you're running anti-freeze and a pressure cap. Even just a 7 psi cap makes the boiling temp more like 230°F for straight water. A 16 psi cap means more like 250° for boiling temp. So if 200°F is as hot as it gets, you're doing great.

The pusher out front will just block air most of the time. If you're going to run an electric, lose the mechanical fan and run a puller that can move more than 2,500 cfm. Since your mechanical seems to be working fine, you don't need to do anything.

The coolant temps do not get too high but there is no room to dissipate the heat from the headers and block. It gets hot in there and I just lost a starter that I think was from heat.

Install a heat shield. If the engine bay is getting so hot that it's killing starters, your cooling system is working great if the engine is staying at 200°F. There are a lot of possible reasons for a starter failure, and heat is only one of them.

IMG_0469 (3).JPG

I have a 14'' elec. fan in front of my rad. , set to come on a t 205 if I remember right , also have a switch to control it manually . My fast 2.0 is programmed to run the fan only for a few seconds after shut down , urs id probably the same way /if not adjustable on the time .
I havent had to use mine this summer ----------------it will block air flow ''a little" out on the hi way , but not enough to concern me , cause the temp still drops out on the hi way .
I have the exact mate to that 14'' fan laying on the bench , with almost no hours on it , if ur interested .
Two wouldnt keep my 505 cool----------------

I checked and without getting into complicated, multiple switches to control ignition, efi and fuel pump separate from the EFI controls, you cannot have a timed delay that would run the electric fan for 5-10 minutes. I am not sure the battery would last that long. Or if it would make a difference in the radiant heat produced from the headers and engine. The regular fan keeps the coolant temps where I want it but the radiant heat is high. Thanks @famous bob but since I cannot control it, the fan would not work for me.

I do have a heat shield on the way for the starter and the headers are ceramic coated. Hopefully that is enough.

@thesiren74 I have a hole in the hood for the air cleaner. Still hot and I have not closed it off like Famous bob yet.

The day that the starter died I was washing the car after a ride of about 40 minutes. Just a cruise on the freeway and roads. Since there is a hole in the hood, I am not blasting water all over. Just enough to wet and rinse. While washing the wheels, if water touched the rotors it would hiss like it was water dropped into a hot frying pan. There was no hard braking to heat them up, just the radiant heat from the headers. This is what led me to think about radiant heat possibly frying the starter. During the trip it never got over 200* on the coolant temp. The efi is running well and the plugs do not appear to be overheating to me. As Del said, the big engine in a small engine bay, the heat has nowhere to go.

Try some header wrap. Did a great job on the 427 Cobra replica I built several years ago. That engine is a 429 SCJ.

I checked and without getting into complicated, multiple switches to control ignition, efi and fuel pump separate from the EFI controls, you cannot have a timed delay that would run the electric fan for 5-10 minutes. I am not sure the battery would last that long. Or if it would make a difference in the radiant heat produced from the headers and engine. The regular fan keeps the coolant temps where I want it but the radiant heat is high. Thanks @famous bob but since I cannot control it, the fan would not work for me.

I do have a heat shield on the way for the starter and the headers are ceramic coated. Hopefully that is enough.

@thesiren74 I have a hole in the hood for the air cleaner. Still hot and I have not closed it off like Famous bob yet.

The day that the starter died I was washing the car after a ride of about 40 minutes. Just a cruise on the freeway and roads. Since there is a hole in the hood, I am not blasting water all over. Just enough to wet and rinse. While washing the wheels, if water touched the rotors it would hiss like it was water dropped into a hot frying pan. There was no hard braking to heat them up, just the radiant heat from the headers. This is what led me to think about radiant heat possibly frying the starter. During the trip it never got over 200* on the coolant temp. The efi is running well and the plugs do not appear to be overheating to me. As Del said, the big engine in a small engine bay, the heat has nowhere to go.

Amen on the heat , I think I mentioned that I put some chromed plastic louvers/vents , 2 1/2'' x 12'' long in my fiberglass hood, on each side of the 6 pack
scoop , the one on the pass. side is melting enough to deform it . When it gets bad enough ,I`ll go to s/steel .

-
Back