EZ wiring

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So I'm finding out that wiring for a 74 duster is almost non existant.

When the 74 duster came to me it was missing the engine harness. Looking at re pop wiring, they do not make anything re pop for 1974.

Sooo my options are crusty used wiring or possibly a EZ wiring kit which I see are very affordable.

Does anyone have experience to share about Ez wiring kits in a mopar??

When the 74 duster came to me it was missing the engine harness. Looking at re pop wiring, they do not make anything re pop for 1974.

Sooo my options are crusty used wiring or possibly a EZ wiring kit which I see are very affordable.

I rewired my 68 fastback w/ an EZ kit. I`m probly farther from an auto. elec. than you are . If u have a problem , call Sean at EZ , pretty darn smart dude !
The biggest thing is switching stuff from GM to Chrysler , the ign switch/and steering column connector , was the biggest thing for me , had to tie 3 wires together at the switch to get the msd to fire on start up ----------------YOU CAN DOOOO ITTT !

Summit Racing® 18-Circuit Universal Wiring Harnesses SUM-890020

I did that kit, you'll spend a lot of time doing wiring, picking up lots of packard 56 series connectors and re-doing some connectors on harnesses like the heater, overhead light, etc that they don't give you all the wiring for. It can be done. Like what was mentioned, its not bad other than the ignition switch and headlight switch.

No way in heck would I ever put a stock style wiring harness back on a Mopar. I tell you what I did. I was just stumblin through the clearance and garage sale stuff on Speedway Motors one night and found a 21 circuit harness for my rat truck normally 399 bucks for 89 bucks. I thought it was a mistake, but I ordered it anyway. To my astonishment, it arrived a few days later. Each individual wire is marked accordingly. Yes, it uses GM colors, but so what? They are pretty much universal in the wiring world anyway. Anybody that's ever worked on cars any time at all knows red is batt, pink is ignition, purple is starter. Simple. Plus NO firewall connector. You simply run the wires through a grommet.

The only word of caution I give is this. Don't cut the length on anything until you have run each individual harness exactly and I mean EXACTLY as it will run in the as finished position and you are ready to terminate RIGHT THEN. And even then, cut LONG. I even coil some wire up and zip tie it up out of the way before I cut to length, because you never know what might happen later. That way, you always have extra wire in the event you need it.

I used their kit. It's in my build thread. They're local to me so I drove over and picked it up. Saved even more on shipping. Met Sean while I was there. Sharp guy. BUSY, but knows his product. Not plug and play, but every wire is marked. I used parallel splices, a good crimper and heat shrink. Quality is good, but their documentation lacks a little. I'd prefer a full wiring diagram with the instructions. You can do it!

No way in heck would I ever put a stock style wiring harness back on a Mopar. I tell you what I did. I was just stumblin through the clearance and garage sale stuff on Speedway Motors one night and found a 21 circuit harness for my rat truck normally 399 bucks for 89 bucks. I thought it was a mistake, but I ordered it anyway. To my astonishment, it arrived a few days later. Each individual wire is marked accordingly. Yes, it uses GM colors, but so what? They are pretty much universal in the wiring world anyway. Anybody that's ever worked on cars any time at all knows red is batt, pink is ignition, purple is starter. Simple. Plus NO firewall connector. You simply run the wires through a grommet.

The only word of caution I give is this. Don't cut the length on anything until you have run each individual harness exactly and I mean EXACTLY as it will run in the as finished position and you are ready to terminate RIGHT THEN. And even then, cut LONG. I even coil some wire up and zip tie it up out of the way before I cut to length, because you never know what might happen later. That way, you always have extra wire in the event you need it.

Stellar advise !

Go with the EZ harness or find a deal like Rob did... Best money I ever spent on my car..

Rob is 100% correct with what he said on how to do it.

Oh and as mentioned Sean @ EZ is awesome and a huge help if you need it.

Yes, I did end up using that harness and at the time of install the tech support was awesome. I spoke with them numerous times and always to the same person. I recommend this harness.

-
Back