F.a.s.t. MIR

-
Very impressive ! I would have guessed T/A heads but of course they would be illegal .
How many rpms ? 7200 ish ?

T/A's are 915 casting# heads. Nothing illegal about them. The heads on the car are the originals off my father's AAR. He wasn't too happy. Yes shifts are around 7-7.2 rpm.

My brother is building a car for this class or the stock class and we have theorized about build profiles at length .
Wide LSAs so as not to blow off tires yet carry speed through the rest of the track , intake/exhaust choices and mods , carb selection , chassis set up ,
Gear choices ... such a balancing act .
Looks like you figured it out .

My brother is building a car for this class or the stock class and we have theorized about build profiles at length .
Wide LSAs so as not to blow off tires yet carry speed through the rest of the track , intake/exhaust choices and mods , carb selection , chassis set up ,
Gear choices ... such a balancing act .
Looks like you figured it out .

What car is he building?

pardon my ignorance, but back around post #5 there was weather this was 1/8 mile or 1/4. I assume its 1/4 mile, but since Im following this thread (wicked awesome car BTW) this is 1/4 mile right? You cant have a trap speed that high with that slow of a ET in the 1/8th....can you? Again, Im stupid, but the #5 post threw me off, and Im totally diggin the car!

It has 915 casting J heads, ported with no welding and stock valve size, intake is a factory 71' with porting, no welding or epoxy, ported 71' exhaust manifolds, solid roller cam. Nothing super trick about it, just lots of careful details to get the most out of it. Honestly would love to do a different build but with no one close it's hard to justify it.
Congrats on the low E.T. !!! I remember seeing that car at E Town quite a few years ago it was impressive then.. even more so now!!!

pardon my ignorance, but back around post #5 there was weather this was 1/8 mile or 1/4. I assume its 1/4 mile, but since Im following this thread (wicked awesome car BTW) this is 1/4 mile right? You cant have a trap speed that high with that slow of a ET in the 1/8th....can you? Again, Im stupid, but the #5 post threw me off, and Im totally diggin the car!

It’s 1/4 mile.

Considering this is a FAST combo on repro bias ply tires, the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile conversion for the 10.67 run lines up very closely(within about .01) with what would be a pretty well sorted out bracket car(1/8 mile was 6.793 on that pass).

You rarely see that out of a FAST combo.

Usually the 1/8 mile ET converts to a noticeably slower 1/4 mile ET than what the car actually runs.
Typically, the cars leave relatively soft, so the 1/8 mild times aren’t great, but they pull hard(the good running ones) on the back half.

If you’re going to be running D port heads....... having them as good as you can afford will be a good place to spend money.
They are ported to 270 cfm. Car should run well . He is just looking to have fun and run a decent time . Engine dyno'd at 450 hp. Its a factory 3sp car .

Engine dyno'd at 450 hp.

That’s a good number.
What cubes?
Tested with exhaust manifolds and the air cleaner assy installed?

3 speed manual trans?
My guess is that’s going to cost some serious ET.

400 cubes with manifolds .
Pontiac used a Ford truck 3 sp which was stronger than a Muncie I am told.

Pontiac used a Ford truck 3 sp which was stronger than a Muncie I am told.
I’m not talking about whether it will live or not...... just referring to how fast it will go(how much it will be holding back the ET).

I’ll be interested in hearing what you guys get out of it.

For new combos, I look at the speed to judge the potential.
It often takes a while to get the chassis and driving technique ironed out.

There are several good running Pontiacs in the FAST and PS type classes.

Yes it will lose some ET but he left it as is because it is unique. Car was a low mileage survivor and in really nice condition . He has a low 11s 68 Firebird for all out racing .

It’s 1/4 mile.

Considering this is a FAST combo on repro bias ply tires, the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile conversion for the 10.67 run lines up very closely(within about .01) with what would be a pretty well sorted out bracket car(1/8 mile was 6.793 on that pass).

You rarely see that out of a FAST combo.

Usually the 1/8 mile ET converts to a noticeably slower 1/4 mile ET than what the car actually runs.
Typically, the cars leave relatively soft, so the 1/8 mild times aren’t great, but they pull hard(the good running ones) on the back half.

Yeah as you know, the car doesn't make a ton of power so I have been focusing on squeezing every little bit out of it. Went through my notes and the last time it was at MIR it went through the traps at 7500rpm, this time it went through at 6700rpm. I sent the converter out earlier in the year for a freshining and it seems they tightened it up quite a bit. Going to throw a set of 4:10's in (3.91's in it now). We are going to Cecil in three weeks.

They are ported to 270 cfm. Car should run well . He is just looking to have fun and run a decent time . Engine dyno'd at 450 hp. Its a factory 3sp car .

That is a cool combo. What's it weigh? You might be able to keep up with the race car...

That is a cool combo. What's it weigh? You might be able to keep up with the race car...

I have no idea what Firebirds weigh but my guess would be 3600 .
The other Firebird is a full body and interior car with stock Rallye wheels.
Ive run it before and it is a torque monster !

Brian, low gear set in the 904? I’m leaning that way.

What do you do when your car goes the quickest it's been? Take it apart and change things of course... Made a different thermoquad since at MIR Saturday morning I woke up to a puddle of fuel on the intake. Q16 does some funky things to these things. Cecil this weekend.

IMG_20211114_122313250.jpg

IMG_20211114_123443525.jpg

Well, the list of things wrong with my car is VERY long!!!!!!!
Here’s my list of excuses. It is NOT exhaustive!

1) FAT! Not PHAT but FAT! 3445 lbs with the fat guy driving and I’m not going on a diet!

2) solid flat tappet cam, not one of those fancy smancey roller thingies!

3) C12, not that rocket fuel that is clearly melting your brain.

4) did I mention the fat guy?

5) 727!!!!!!! Fat!!!!!

6) The second largest piece of window glass ever put in a production car! Fat!

7) Tiny tiny AVS carb, not the plastic wonder!

8) no thermoquad intake!

9) lack of talent!

and on and on……..

Well, the list of things wrong with my car is VERY long!!!!!!!
Here’s my list of excuses. It is NOT exhaustive!

1) FAT! Not PHAT but FAT! 3445 lbs with the fat guy driving and I’m not going on a diet!

2) solid flat tappet cam, not one of those fancy smancey roller thingies!

3) C12, not that rocket fuel that is clearly melting your brain.

4) did I mention the fat guy?

5) 727!!!!!!! Fat!!!!!

6) The second largest piece of window glass ever put in a production car! Fat!

7) Tiny tiny AVS carb, not the plastic wonder!

8) no thermoquad intake!

9) lack of talent!

and on and on……..

You going Saturday?

Low gear set 904, good converter, q16 and it will be ready for a rollbar. Then you will be back to 11.70's wondering why you just put a bar in it... Ask me how I know.

Yep, going Sat. Hoping for mineshaft air and sunny day. Get some heat in the track. Only supposed to be 45? We’ll see what the 904 does for it next year. Pulled the 904 apart from the other fastback. Looks good, no red flags or excessive wear. Going to go through it and address the weak spots, get 5 clutches in it, install the low gear set, and move the RMVB over from the 727. I’m still NOT going on a diet! I won’t put a bar in this one. Original 340 car and all. Would probably just swap everything over to the goldfish and put a bar in that one, but I’ll burn that bridge when I get to it!

Yep, going Sat. Hoping for mineshaft air and sunny day. Get some heat in the track. Only supposed to be 45? We’ll see what the 904 does for it next year. Pulled the 904 apart from the other fastback. Looks good, no red flags or excessive wear. Going to go through it and address the weak spots, get 5 clutches in it, install the low gear set, and move the RMVB over from the 727. I’m still NOT going on a diet! I won’t put a bar in this one. Original 340 car and all. Would probably just swap everything over to the goldfish and put a bar in that one, but I’ll burn that bridge when I get to it!
Haven't heard any follow up on your fabricated Frankenstein intake. Curious about the performance results +-.

-
Back