Factory 1967 big block cars Fan shrouds, Other owners please chim in!!!

-

31pickemup

Reaction score
Hey Gang
This one goes out to other owners of factory 1967 A-body 383 cars. Did your car come with a fan shroud or didn't it? My car is a 383 auto CAP car (Clean Air Package, California) Would that car come with a fan shroud? I know only cars with a AC or optional rear end package received them. But did they try to cool down the big blocks as a standard option? Because you couldn't get AC or any other rear besides 3:23 from the factory.

My buddy has a 383 DART. It doesnt have one. It is mostly original but, he is like the 3rd owner.

Mines a 67 gts dart that I got from the original owner with 16,439 miles on it. It did not have a fan shroud. Without out one it runs hotter in slow traffic or stopped in above 90 temps. I have the stock radiator which was just recored a couple of months ago. I did manage to find the correct shroud but it's not easy. Haven't installed it yet but it should solve the hot days slow/stopped traffic heat issue. Mopar City told me they have been lucky and found a shroud that was close enough to work.

I do believe these cars came with a plastic shroud and the fan was a solid fan set up not a clutch fan. I believe the part # was 2785312. It is difficult to find. I can't speak on what the California cars with the clean air package came with. My 67 GTS dart ran much cooler once the proper fan was installed. Keep in mind that the seven blade fan needs to be about 1 inch from the radiator to cool effectively. This can be accomplished with the proper spacer or a thicker fan belt pulley.

I know the 312 is listed as the shroud for 67, but I recall trying to fit a 312 into my car and it did not fit. The guy had a 273 car and put a Hemi in it. I bought the dash harness, an original piece, from him and it was near perfect.
His car was as close to original as they come, but sometimes memory is not.
I'll have to look for some pics of original 383 cars, I know I took a few.
At this point, I am not convinced my car came with a shroud.

-
Back