factory 340 forged crank

-

davescuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a question on a factory 340 forged crack.
Here is a picture of the differences. Why is one drilled through the #1 journal and the other is not. Is one better than the other? any help

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

Very likely two of your 340s had a 318 stsel crank swapped in at some point ocer the last 45 plus years. 318 has the same stroke, main and rod journal diameter.

Might have to do with the crank castings themselves. Or the material. Better iron is heavier. I'd say it's probably balancing issues but that's a total guess.

Usually the drilled pins are 340 because the Bob weight is so much heavier than the 273/318 cranks. Truth be told, I used 318 poly cranks and 273 cranks in my stock stroke aluminum rod engines. I sell had to turn the counter weights down some.

Every 340 I have had are drilled, 273 - 318 are not.

Another question. Is it better to use a 318 crank in a 340 if you use the new light weight pistons and I good new I beam rod?

Another question. Is it better to use a 318 crank in a 340 if you use the new light weight pistons and I good new I beam rod?

Depends on who is doing the balance job. I'd rather have a lighter counterweight than drill it like Swiss cheese. So I'd rather use a 318 crank to start with.

It's also hard to turn the CW down unless you have a real rigid lathe and they still don't like an interrupted cut. Then there is cam grinding the CW. You can drive yourself nuts and not gain anything.

The cranks look Identical besides the hole in the #1 Journal, Is there anything else visual to the cranks that I can see.
thanks

Depends on who is doing the balance job. I'd rather have a lighter counterweight than drill it like Swiss cheese. So I'd rather use a 318 crank to start with.

It's also hard to turn the CW down unless you have a real rigid lathe and they still don't like an interrupted cut. Then there is cam grinding the CW. You can drive yourself nuts and not gain anything.
This make sense.

-
Back