Factory BBP on 7.25 axle

-
Thanks, I do live in a beautiful part of the country here.
I have no idea what the gear ratios are. Should they have a tag on the outside?
Dallas

yes sir a tag under a cover bolt with three digits 245, 276, ???

Fehlhafers inc.
800-742-7370
edgar motor co. Inc.
800-666-3315
capital city auto recyclers
402-475-2982
singer auto parts
877-611-4707
jim defreece auto parts
800-752-2886
olston's auto recyclers
800-223-7020

Fellhoffers is close but last I asked they did not have a 7 1/4.
Thanks for the suggestion.

According to the info I have, the LBP 73+ 7.25 rears are 1.8" shorter flange to flange than the 72 back rears. Might make a difference if you are already tight on real estate under your car for tires.....

The 73+ 7.25 rear flange to flange is listed at 51.4"
72 back is listed at 53.2"

Interesting though, they list all 8.75 a-body rears and 73+ 8.25 and 7.25 at 53.2"

According to the info I have, the LBP 73+ 7.25 rears are 1.8" shorter flange to flange than the 72 back rears. Might make a difference if you are already tight on real estate under your car for tires.....

The 73+ 7.25 rear flange to flange is listed at 51.4"
72 back is listed at 53.2"

Interesting though, they list all 8.75 a-body rears and 73+ 8.25 and 7.25 at 53.2"

I'm not sure that is correct but I will find out. Another factor to consider is how far the axle extends out from the housing flange. Wheel location could be within a 1/4 of same. I will find out.

I'm not sure that is correct but I will find out. Another factor to consider is how far the axle extends out from the housing flange. Wheel location could be within a 1/4 of same. I will find out.

IF this chart is correct those are the measurements. Was this done to accommodate the wider brake shoes that started in 1973?

Attachments

• Mopar rear end dimensions.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 738
So housing length is all that changed. Perch location and wheel location remains about the same

So housing length is all that changed. Perch location and wheel location remains about the same

Here is another tidbit of information you might find interesting.

This is a TSB on the 73 A-bodies showing the front end and the rear end has different widths. It states the front end was widened another 1.6" for a total of 3.6" wider than the rear.

02-04-73D%20p1.jpg

Here is another tidbit of information you might find interesting.

This is a TSB on the 73 A-bodies showing the front end and the rear end has different widths. It states the front end was widened another 1.6" for a total of 3.6" wider than the rear. Would this be the case on the earlier cars also?

I believe all A-bodies had wider front track than rear track -- the exact amount changed over the years. Apparently, by 1973 it had become noticeable to the average joe on the street, hence the bulletin.

I believe all A-bodies had wider front track than rear track -- the exact amount changed over the years. Apparently, by 1973 it had become noticeable to the average joe on the street, hence the bulletin.

I forgot to delete that last sentence. It was copied over from another thread where I had posted it.

To me that TSB would mean that the rear end hub to hub measurement was the same or very close or they would have mentioned it there.

Send someone to the Nats and ill bring the one I have that's "underfoot" as it was called above!! You can have it for a $25 delivery charge, cause its heavy and ill have to put it in my brothers truck bed, which is as clean as a babies bottom!!

Let me know if you can work that out!!

IIRC, the front track was widened significantly with the '67 model year (to accomodate the B/RB engines).

Years ago the family was in route to the beach. I was driving our 73 Valiant. Other family members in their cars. I moved to the front of out little convoy for a time. Later on my Dad asks, " How long has it been since that car was aligned son ? It dog trots badly". When I said it was just an illusion he laughed it off. "Whatever you say son".

When I switched to BBP front discs on my '71 Scamp, my donor car was a '75 4-door Dart Custom, with a /6. To keep the same 5x4.5 BP at all 4 wheels, I also swapped out the 7.25 rear ends. I didn't notice any differences at the time. I compared them side by side and didn't see anything to cause concern. Not that I can remember anyways. Had there been something really off I'd think I'd recall. (This was done 8-9 years ago.) To this day the Scamp is running with the Dart Custom front brakes and 7.25 rear. I kept the same drive shaft though. Wish now I'd taken pictures of both rear axles side by side, for reference.

I put my Scamp's SBP front drums and 7.25 on the Dart Custom and sold it. The guy who bought it was going to use it for more parts, but he told me later on he ended up driving it for a while. So it seems any differences are minimal between 68-72 and 73-up a-bodies as far as these parts go. EDIT: I should clarify that the differences are minimal as to affecting their usage in a swap. Obviously they are "different".

As far as u-bolts, during the swap I twisted the threaded end off one while unscrewing some very rusted nuts. I don't recall now which one, as I reused two good u-bolts for my Scamp and just put the Dart back together as best I could with the one broken u-bolt. I certainly don't remember them being different sizes. Again I wish I'd taken pictures for reference.

A lot of guys (myself included) buy the 4 door parts cars for the disc brake setup and scrap the rest. As noted above, all of the 73 up a bodies with disc brakes will have a big bolt pattern rear even if it's 7 1/4. A 7 1/4 rear of ANY ilk is not a big seller, so I've scrapped several. You could post a "wanted" ad and find a local one or perhaps have one delivered to the Nats. I don't have one right now but I'm certain I'll get another eventually. If I had one, it would be a $50-$75 part at the most. The parts yards probably get more because they obviously don't know how undesirable they are. The same logic that makes an a body 8 3/4 a $150 part to the U pull it, makes a 7 1/4 rear the same price :(

-
Back