Factory build sheet discrepancy

-

IbJoeC

Reaction score
Good evening,

I recently acquired what appears to be a numbers matching ‘66 barracuda. VIN matches the broadcast sheet. Everything lines up... except the engine. Sheet and VIN shows a 225, in the vehicles is a ‘66 273-2bbl. Block is a stamped ‘66, and EVERYTHING appears to be stock - stock A/C, stock points, etc. Only thing that stands out is the 273.

Are there any articles about build sheet discrepancies? It feels as though this was a factory mistake. Would love some articles or resources to take a look. Thanks all.

-Joe

Post a clear pic of the fender tag and we can tell you what engine it was born with.
I appreciate that, but as I mentioned I have the fender tag, the VIN, and the broadcast sheet.

I’m asking if there are any articles or information regarding factory discrepancies - instances where what is in front of you on paper may be a mistake or was changed before it left the assembly line.

I appreciate that, but as I mentioned I have the fender tag, the VIN, and the broadcast sheet.

I’m asking if there are any articles or information regarding factory discrepancies - instances where what is in front of you on paper may be a mistake or was changed before it left the assembly line.
Nope what is on the tag is what it came with. Build sheets can be wrong but the tag will be correct.

There are factory mistakes, but generally with letters/numbers that do not belong there or a number omitted. After 50+ years it is likely that the drivetrain was changed.

If the engine was changed, so was the transmission.

Dig deeper.

There are factory mistakes, but generally with letters/numbers that do not belong there or a number omitted. After 50+ years it is likely that the drivetrain was changed.

Working on documentation as this was my wife’s grandfathers car and he passed shortly after I bought the car from him. The story he told me is he was the second owner since new, and simply had it as a weekend car.

I need to get the car on a lift to confirm the drivetrain, but everything else is numbers matching on the car. All options that the car came with are present. Has the certicard in the glovebox to boot. Haven’t been able to research the Chrysler service codes on the sheet yet.

If the engine was changed, so was the transmission.

Dig deeper.

Will do. IF the transmission is correct, then what next would be my question?

I understand it’s a hypothetical, just curious where the path goes from there or if anyone has experience in that direction. Thanks!

I need to get the car on a lift to confirm the drivetrain, but everything else is numbers matching on the car.

That term "numbers matching" might not mean quite what you're using it to mean here. What exactly do you mean when you say "numbers matching"? Which numbers match what?

You have three points that all agree, typically a typo or mistake only happens in one place.

VIN engine code says 225
Data/Fender tag says 225
Broadcast sheet says 225

Then it is a 225, I'm not up on 66 but in 67 a 273 would likely have 10" drum brakes and a 225 would likely have 9" drums
The engine is on the broadcast sheet in three places, the VIN, the engine code (37-38) and in the build code portion
There are multiple parts on the broadcast sheet that are exclusive to the different engines, dist, rad, hoses, carb...

Alan

That term "numbers matching" might not mean quite what you're using it to mean here. What exactly do you mean when you say "numbers matching"? Which numbers match what?

I’m referring to what the broadcast sheet says the car has for options.

Apologies for the confusion.

Check the engine assembly date (front of block beneath driver side head).
Is that date close to the car assembly date?
This whole scenario seems strange, posting a couple of pictures of the documentation might be helpful.

There is nothing strange here, a /6 car with a 273 in it, having a proper date on the engine doesn't change the fact that all the documentation says it is a /6.

A picture of the VIN tag, a picture of the Data tag and a picture of the broadcast sheet will answer all questions.

It wasn't that uncommon to upgrade shortly after purchase to hide the performance from the insurance companies.

We are not talking about a 6 figure car, build the car to suit your interest or how you feel your relative had it.

There is nothing from what has been presented to indicate any form of factory discrepancy.

Alan

I’m referring to what the broadcast sheet says the car has for options.

Okeh, that's not what "numbers matching" means. "Numbers matching" means the engine, transmission, etc are verifiably the ones that were originally factory-installed in the car.

What are the first six VIN digits?

Does the VIN on the build sheet match the tag in the door pillar?

I've seen very very few factory numbers mistakes.

All but one have either been a missing digit, or two digits transposed.

I'm not sure about engine swaps after the purchase of a brand new car being "common" back in the day. Perhaps in professional drag racing circles.

What is quite common however, is for a back seat containing the build sheet for a different car, but having the same interior, to be installed in any given car.

Man lots of fuss over nothing. It’s not like it being a factory 273 2bbl Car will help value much. Sounds like a slant 6 Car that someone dropped a 273 in. No big deal.

Screw it. Doesn’t really matter either way. Do with the car as you wish and have fun.

kevin3.jpg

One fine day in a wrecking yard, in the Spring-Summer of 1972:

"Hey, how much for the complete V8 motor with all bolt-ons and trans outta that '66 Barracuda (…Dart, Valiant…) y'got out there?"

Make sure you stick around because there is alot on this site to learn about these old cars and alot of help when needed.

Let me weigh in, There is a slim chance that something got goofed up along the way. Because the VIN, fender tag, and build sheet all say it was born with a slant 6, there is no way to prove otherwise. VIN#'s weren't stamped on engines until 1968 so that rules out the "numbers matching" argument. It is what it is. Build it and enjoy the ride.

Let me weigh in, There is a slim chance that something got goofed up along the way. Because the VIN, fender tag, and build sheet all say it was born with a slant 6, there is no way to prove otherwise. VIN#'s weren't stamped on engines until 1968 so that rules out the "numbers matching" argument. It is what it is. Build it and enjoy the ride.

-
Back