Factory Hemi Exhaust Manifolds

Discussion in 'SUPER STOCK HEMI Barracuda and Dart forum' started by STR-14, Oct 30, 2018.

1. STR-14

STR-14 I put the hoar in hoarder

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    7:44 PM
    Can anyone tell me if the factory cast iron, hemi exhaust manifolds will fit on a 426 in an A-body? Any pics?

2. HemiSSDart

HemiSSDart Dartus Interuptus

Local Time:
    9:44 PM
    No way they will fit, all factory Hemi A-Body's came with headers, exhaust manifolds simply will not fit.

3. FUELFISH

FUELFISH New Member

Local Time:
    8:44 PM
    Hello, I ran into this problem when I built my 67 Barracuda in the early 1990s.
    Hello, I ran into this problem when I built my 67 Barracuda in the early 1990s. It is correct that they will not normally fit so I had to do something very abnormal. I had to modify my steering box! It was strange but it worked. I drove and raced the car for several years and still have it. Unfortunately I don't think I have detailed pictures of the exhaust manifolds in the car. After sitting for many years I just rebuilt the motor this summer and replaced the manifolds with TTIs. But I am still using the steering box. The manifolds were a tight fit. They were almost sitting on the torsion bars because I wanted to get the engine under the stock hood. It was also a challenge for the exhaust shop to make the pipes coming off of them. I would recommend TTI headers. Only upside with the manifolds is that you wont trap the starter.

4. STR-14

STR-14 I put the hoar in hoarder

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    7:44 PM
    Is there any chance you could dig up some pics of the steering box showing what you did? I'm intrigued!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  5. FUELFISH

FUELFISH New Member

Local Time:
    I can take a new picture and try to post it. I say try because I am not very computer literate, but I am getting better! It requires cutting and welding. The bolt above and to the right of the center adjusting nut ( Looking down at the box from looking over the left fender) will no longer be in that position. That section is cut out. I knew a guy that was good at welding aluminum at a now closed shop called Martyn Motors in Morrisville PA weld in a flat aluminum 1/4 thick plate in a different configuration. To keep the sector shaft from hitting the plate and potentially breaking through I fashioned a stop that slid over the shaft inside to stop the worm gear from turning before the sector shaft hit. I was concerned that I would loose the ability to make tight left turns and although I have lost a little bit in that area it is not enough to even notice. I packed it with light grease and its been like that for going on 26 years. Just uploaded the photo. It was a much tighter fit with the exhaust manifold. So tight that I had to file one side of the washer down a bit. Not something I ever wanted to highlight about the car. Sure a lot of more knowledgeable folks would question it. But it worked!

IMG_0207.JPG

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  6. 604B1duster

604B1duster Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1AE702EB-8E63-4C16-AA38-5B3C8837907B.png
    Maybe this will provide more clearance???

7. OtownMissile

OtownMissile Well-Known Member

Local Time: