Factory original key tags, and a truly amazing find!

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Gentlemen: Does anyone remember that little aluminum ring that originally came with your car's keys when the car was delivered new? It was about as large as a quarter and had a six digit code ("key code" according to the owner's manual) stamped in it. Does anyone still own their original? The owner's manual says to record the number, then destroy the tag. Not sure why you wouldn't just keep the tag. Apparently, the code on the tag could be used to reproduce your keys. Any photos of this tag out there? Does anyone repop these? Thanks!

They probably thought folks would just let them hang on their keys. If they did anyone could get a key cut and still your car.

I work at a GM dealer in parts, and you have to have a title or current registration along with valid ID to get a key code.

SAM_2464.JPG

I bought a number of Mopars from original owners way back, most gone, but but still have parts from some. Several came from Vietnam Vets that had run the **** out of them for 30 or 40k miles and then ran them low on oil and blew them up, or some just needed a major tune-up and brakes and they had kids by then and a muscle car just wasn't what they needed.

Note there's the round ring and the other diamond style.

Last edited:
Last month I found a set of 60?-65 door locks in an antique store. L and R, keyed alike, with the numbered ring.

View attachment 1715666546
I bought a number of Mopars from original owners way back, most gone, but but still have parts from some. Several came from Vietnam Vets that's had run the **** of them for 30 or 40k miles and then ran them low on oil and blew them up, or some just needed a major tune-up and brakes and they had kids by then and a muscle car just wasn't what they needed.

Note there's the round ring and the other diamond style.
Yeah, the round one at the bottom of the photo is the one that I remember. Thanks for posting.

Guys - I just had a truly unbelievable find. The original owner of my Duster found the original key code tag for my car and is sending it to me from Portland OR. Matches the tag code on the vehicle sale paperwork from December of 1973. Incredible! He found it in the bottom of a coffee mug filled with old keys in the back of a cabinet in his kitchen, still attached to the factory original wire loop. If you're a historian, this is what one of these tags from a St. Louis built 1974 Duster looks like. Here's a photo:

100_5892.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back