Factory rake of a 1970 Dart Swinger?

-

David Eldridge

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the rake of a 1970 Dart should be sitting with no weight in it. I know the manual has a way to do it by measuring the control arms at different points, but the nose would be way high. Any imput greatly appreciated

squatted pretty good in the rear...

2112_5_low_res.jpg

2113_4_low_res.jpg

2114_3_low_res.jpg

2115_2_low_res.jpg

I always thought those brochures made it look like they had a couple of sand bags (or dead bodies) in the trunk. In real life I always remembered that they sat higher than that.

Yea man! Stock OE ride was dead level to almost a saggy rear look considering that we all raise the rear so much... it's like normal now.

I have seen varying stances of Mopars in factory ads/literature. Some low ..some not.

Alan, That's awsome.
I don't recall if I'd seen that before.
The only rear height info I've seen from the factory is at Hamtramck Historical.
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry "Chrysler Passenger Car Bumper Heights 1965 thru 1976" Page Note that on page two that these are for fully loaded (5 passengers, full fuel) but does not say what options. Also the bumpers are somewhat adjustable and the body has some slop. So these are visual body related specs, not so much suspension setup info.

From a suspension perspective a flat spring when typically loaded is basicly correct. This is how Chrysler designed 'em, and why there are so many different spring packs to match the various weights and use. Chrysler explains it in the in this booklet about handling.
An exception were the cars intended for drag racing which came with the super stock springs. Arch is one way to increase anti-squat.

The factory stance is basically level, I tend to drop the front about 1/2"

Alan

The level stance or even lower in the rear (not favorable by most tastes) optimizes handling.
Even though many prefer the rear higher, it is destroying the handling.of the car with almost any setup.

-
Back