Factory ride height

-

AHamilton

Reaction score
I am in the process of redoing all of my susspension in my 1970 Dart Swinger. I am buying PST 1.03 torsion bars and new rear leaf springs. I was planning on a 2" drop in the rear but looked under and noticed the factory exhaust hung quite low. I am lowering the front end as well, to get that good stance. Long winded way of trying to get the factory ride height/clearance for the front and rear suspension. Thanks

Lowering the front ride height, using the T-bar adjusters, away from the factory spec; will probably affect your camber curves, to the point that you may experience bump-steer. You can get the static camber back with the Moog Problem-Solver UCA bushings, but they do nothing for the geometry. I spent the better part of a day modding parts to get the curves to be acceptable. Bump steer is a major cause of wandering and hunting on uneven roads especially rutted asphalt.
Every car is different and it depends on how aggressive you get, I just wanted to let you know about this. On the street you won't notice much of a handling difference in one inch of height.
If you just want the stance, IMO, it's better to stagger the tire heights and/or raise the rear; then put the front at whatever ride height gets you the most stable camber curves........ which is gonna be like the OEM height,lol.
I use 24.5 tires on the front and 27/28s on the rear which is akin to a 1.5 inch rake on the 108 wheelbase which is a lot.
I then dearched the rear springs to nearly flat to about half that amount. This also made the rear-end more stable in the turns. With the short tires on the front I only have about 5.75 inches under the K so I had to fabricate a skid-plate for my oilpan. But at the back I have room for dual 3" tailpipes and honking big Dynomax 3-pass mufflers. The 1.03bars and HD shocks keep her from bottoming out on landings.
Good luck.
Happy HotRodding

Last edited:
-
Back