Fair price for a '70 340 engine that needs rebuild

-

Alberto

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have a 340 motor with a date code of 10/69 (1970 motor cause of late date?) The engine is all there except a carb and distributor. The short block needs a rebuild(has original bore). The heads were redone with three angle valve job and new, better than stock springs. This was done over 30 years ago:eek:. (Life got in the way) The heads have been stored in a climate controlled room, soaked in oil and wrapped in plastic. They look like they just came from the machine shop..:)
I have someone that is interested in the motor but I don't know what a fair price would be for this motor. I don't want to gouge the guy, but I don't want to give it away either. I looked on several different sites, Ebay, RacingJunk, etc., but there wasn't really much to compare to.
Any suggestions would be appreciated..:thumbsup:
THX..AL

If you havent already please post the vin, in our "lost and found" forum. Vin is on the pass side down by the oil pan rail. Lots of members looking for their original engine.
I would think $1000-$1500??

If you havent already please post the vin, in our "lost and found" forum. Vin is on the pass side down by the oil pan rail. Lots of members looking for their original engine.
I would think $1000-$1500??

THANKS 4spdragtop!!
I did post the vin early this year but have not heard anything. I was thinking around $1200, so glad to see I am in the ballpark..

I sold a set of X heads finished for $800.00, The rest has to be worth more than that.

Harder and harder to find rebuildable 68-71 340s. If I were close by I'd be offering you $2000 and thinking I got a bargain... X heads, forged crank...

Ask $1800 and go from there. Like Brian6pack said, finished 340X heads are worth $800.

Heads in the condition you state are worth $1000. The short block is worth more apart then together if everything is OK and standard. Another $1000 apart and inspect-able. If it is together "as is" its worth $500. You never know whats your getting when you can't see whats inside. Many times guys do not use the rods and pistons Due to the cost of resizing the rods and new bolts its cheaper to get new. But the hardware for the block is very desirable . Timing cover ,windage tray, Pan, Oil Pick up, 340 valve covers are on their own, slinger, dip stick. And all the things such as bolts and reusable that add up pretty quick.

Sold a 70 340 long block last year with no exhaust manifolds or carb, aluminum intake for $1500 and the guy was happy to get it at that price. I have a 69 block standard bore I won't let go for less than $800...

I have blocks, cranks,forged pistons and rods. Heads and intakes too. I don’t even advertise them anymore. All in a semi trailer. My daughter says she will give the trailer away and whoever takes it can clean up the mess, cause she is not. Kim

Last edited:
I have blocks, cranks,forged pistons and rods. Heads and intakes too. I don’t even advertise them anymore. All in a semi trailer. My daughter says she will sell the give the trailer away and whoever takes it can clean up the mess, cause she is not. Kim

Ummm, what kind of trailer? :)

I bought my 340 long block for $800 and then spent $2,500 for all the machine work, new pistons, rods, gaskets, etc. No assembly in that price. Just FYI.

I bought my '71 340 in 2010, so for what it's worth this might help give an idea of prices today...I paid $1000 for a bare block that had been magnafluxed and all machining done to it, ready for .040" over pistons. Parts included with it were the TRW forged pistons, original forged crank, reconditioned TRW rods, rod bearings, main bearings, cam bearings, HV oil pump, original windage tray, and that was pretty much it. No heads/intake. I thought it was a pretty good deal, but I agree with oldmanmopar. He is right all those nuts, bolts, various bolt on parts/covers, dipstick, etc etc all adds up.

-
Back