Fan Blade elimination on slant 6

-

Vali68

Reaction score
Is there a way to eliminate the use of the fan blade on a slant 6 and use the electric type fans for cooling the engine? I know when some people do their mods, they get rid of the fan blade assy. on bigger block motors, but not sure if the same could be done for the slant 6.
What would be involved in doing the swap if it can be done?

Any input is helpful.

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 166
If you have the solid mount fan, there are benefits from switching to an electric fan. Quicker throttle response, quicker warm up, and less drag on the engine at hwy speeds.
Find a dual fan setup out a salvage yard. Just make sure the shroud fits your radiator or modify it to fit.
You'll also need a adjustable temp fan controller.
You'll also need shorter bolts for water pump pulley. It's not that hard to do and in my opinion, well worth it.
Summit has way better prices on fans than your local parts store, but personally I'd only go that route if you can't find exactly what you need at the yard
The only reason I suggest a dual fan setup is that there isn't a whole lot of space between the water pump pulley and the radiator and it may be easier to get a dual fan setup to fit.

Are you having overheating issues now?

My 64 Valiant had no fan on the water pump when I bought it, just short bolts to hold the pulley on. It had a pusher electric fan from a Mercedes in front of the radiator and was wired to be always on. It had no temp switch. I can't recall if it was wired directly to the ignition switch (dumb). Anyway, I had to jumper ignition from the battery to drive it home and didn't connect the fan, and drove home 90 miles but it was winter. I think I will keep the Mercedes fan, but add a Hayden thermal switch/relay I got for ~$28 on rockauto (sensor goes into water, not the "stuff in radiator fins" type). I can't fit a factory fan with the non-factory radiator in the car now.

That Autozone fan is pretty wimpy. Most people have better luck with a factory fan from a junkyard car. The Mercedes 300D and 300SD fans are popular and reliable. Those cars also have thermal clutch fans on the water pump. Hot Rodders like a Ford 2-spd fan, but probably too big and unneeded for a slant.

-
Back