Fan motor doesn’t fit behind the big block valve covers

-

RonsSwinger

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a 71 dart with a 440ci. The previous owner removed the heater box (only drove it on sunny days) because the fan motor wouldn’t fit behind the valve cover. I am aware that there is a shorter fan motor that will fix the issue but for the life of me I can’t find it. Does anyone know where I can get the shorter fan motor, manufacturer, part numbers etc

There is no reason why the fan motor won't fit with a 440 in an A-Body, Chrysler did it from the factory! Heck I even had Cal Custom valve covers on a 69 GTS 440 and the fan motor fit. Something is wrong with the installation of the 440. Now if it is a factory A/C car then that could be your problem...

There is no reason why the fan motor won't fit with a 440 in an A-Body, Chrysler did it from the factory! Heck I even had Cal Custom valve covers on a 69 GTS 440 and the fan motor fit. Something is wrong with the installation of the 440. Now if it is a factory A/C car then that could be your problem...
It’s a factor A/C car

It’s a factor A/C car
OK, you should have mentioned that first thing. You can convert it to a non-A/C car by welding in the proper firewall part and installing a non-A/C heater box, or go with an aftermarket setup like Vintage Air. There is no way to use a factory A/C box with a 440...

One of the boys from down under modified his valve cover. It looked like a factory job when he was done. Really nice job. I don't remember his screen name. You might try a search.

I didn’t mention it was an A/C car because I am specifically looking for a shorter motor. I stumbled across an old article from “halifaxhops” who used a direct replacement shorter fan motor and showed pics of the fan motor nicely behind the valve cover. He made reference to “New Universal Products” Part number “AH451” but I can’t find it. I sent a message but he may not be active. I think the post was around 2016. Sorry for the confusion Ron D

I didn’t mention it was an A/C car because I am specifically looking for a shorter motor. I stumbled across an old article from “halifaxhops” who used a direct replacement shorter fan motor and showed pics of the fan motor nicely behind the valve cover. He made reference to “New Universal Products” Part number “AH451” but I can’t find it. I sent a message but he may not be active. I think the post was around 2016. Sorry for the confusion Ron D
You can alert him by posting @halifaxhops . He's active, so maybe now he can chime in.

OK, wasn't aware there was a direct fit motor. The last time I put a 440 in an A-Body with an A/C was in the 1990's, so I may be out of the loop with what's available now. I have put a modern Hemi in an A-Body with Vintage air in the last 15 years though...LOL..

I suspect there is a direct replacement, but until I can get one in my hands I can’t confirm it hahaha. Until Halifaxhops steps up it’s just hopes and dreams

I suspect there is a direct replacement, but until I can get one in my hands I can’t confirm it hahaha. Until Halifaxhops steps up it’s just hopes and dreams
I am fairly new to the site. I this I think I reached out correctly, time will tell

If you arent a stickler for keeping the car factory, you could pull the stock heater box, and install a hot rod heater.
Speedway Universal Fit Street Rod Heater, 12 Volt, 20,000 BTU{match_type}&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SMI%20-%20Shopping%20(CSE)%20(Bing)&utm_term=4577679224227357&utm_content=Google%20Sucess%20Skus%20II%20(Feb28_2020)

Been a while guys. I think I found it at surplus center. Biggest thing is 12vdc rversable and dimensions, I am sure there are others out there but what worked for me.

Been a while guys. I think I found it at surplus center. Biggest thing is 12vdc rversable and dimensions, I am sure there are others out there but what worked for me.
Thanks for the reply. I think I am moving in the right direction with all the help, and ideas our Mopar Family is sharing. Cheers Ron D

Mine fit with factory style valve covers. I did end up replacing the unit with vintage air now I can add the roller rockers and tall valve covers

-
Back