Fast ratio steering box

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 16:1 fast ratio boxes are getting pretty scarce these days, and therefore overpriced. Mopar made replacement worm/nut assemblies in 16:1 and 20:1, but they seem to have gone away also. I got a 20:1 from Mancini a while back, maybe they have some left.

Flaming River makes a 16:1 replacement box which is not visually correct (or even close), but it's 40 years newer than any factory part. Sadly the Flaming River box is also expensive, although cheaper than a nice factory box.

I have an NOS mopar 20:1 ratio gear assembly. YOu have to have it installed in your box.

pm me when you are resolved to not find a fully ready to go unit.

Not looking to step on any toes 680340Fish, but if you're not interested in Chingnikred's worm assembly I am. <--that didn't sound right

Think I'll go with the Mancini box. fzmax -- help yourself to chignikred's "worm" assembly. Thanks for the info!

Stupid question How many turns lock to lock on a fast ratio and what did they come on? Thanks for any answers.

Fast ratio manual boxes were part of the Formula S package, and might have been an option on Darts.

Not sure but I think the fast ratio worm gear from Mopar only works in the 73-76 steering box. I had a worm gear I sold to a member here, it only worked in the 73-76 box. I have a factory fast ratio box from a 66 Cuda, I will check the turns for you, I got my car together before I got the box so it hasn't made it in the car yet.

I have a Firm Feel fast ratio pitman arm set-up, including the center link. The Firm Feel parts are new in the box, and the center link is a good used c-body part. Asking $265 plus shipping.

http://www.firmfeel.com/fastrati.htm

Thanks, Jeff

That is for a POWER steering car. And will not fit an A-body with any type of headers. (Except for Schumacher TriY's w/440 motor) Very very hard to fit with 340 manifolds, but I have seen it done. Needs custom drivers side headpipe and patience.

A C-body centerlink will not fit an A-body.

Now, I realize the original poster didn't say he was looking for manual fast ratio box. But in 1968 the only option fast ratio steering was manual.

Stupid question How many turns lock to lock on a fast ratio and what did they come on? Thanks for any answers.

The optional on any 66 to 69 A-body Fast Ratio 16:1 steering box is 3.6 turns lock to lock.

Same ratio and lock to lock as a standard power steering box/setup.

66 Baracuda

Fast ratio discription: http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1966/66_Barracuda_0011.jpg

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1966/66_Barracuda_0019.jpg

69 Dart

69_Dart0030.jpg

Fast ratio manual boxes were part of the Formula S package, and might have been an option on Darts.

No.

It was not part of the Formula S package. Fast ratio manual steering was availible in any Barracuda or Dart 66-69.

$14.45 on any 69 Dart. Option code S75

69_Dart_3.jpg

That is for a POWER steering car. And will not fit an A-body with any type of headers. Very very hard to fit with 340 manifolds, but I have seen it done. Needs custom drivers side headpipe and patience.

A C-body centerlink will not fit an A-body.

Now, I realize the original poster didn't say he was looking for manual fast ratio box. But in 1968 the only option fast ratio steering was manual.

Wow Steve, it took you two whole days to get on this one. I'm losing confidence..(J/K)

Was the whole pitman arm thing an E body deal?

Not sure but I think the fast ratio worm gear from Mopar only works in the 73-76 steering box. I had a worm gear I sold to a member here, it only worked in the 73-76 box.

Is that the 20:1 steering gear they sold through Mopar Performance? That was original made for the Kit Car circle track program that started in the mid 70's. So I'd guess they'd use the large sector boxes that were available then.

Wow Steve, it took you two whole days to get on this one. I'm losing confidence..(J/K)

Was the whole pitman arm thing an E body deal?

Yes. Optional on 70 AAR's and T/A AND standard on every 71 340 E-body made with power steering after like March? 1971 (dumping inventory?)

Now B-bodies have the same steering geometry as E-bodies so they can use the longer Fast Ratio pitman arm too.

The number of turns lock to lock; 24:1 5 1/2 turns (standard), 20:1 4 1/2 turns,
16:1 3 1/2 turns. My personal choice for everyday driving is the 20:1.

I have a c-body center link on my 70 A-body with fast ratio arms and 1:24 box. The box was rebuilt by firm feel(stage III), and fells like a modern car. I can help others out if interested. I will try to post pictures later.
convx4 AT yahho DOT com

I found a fast ratio manual box with all the steering linkage today at the Mopar Nationals, out of a '68 Barracuda. After looking at it closely for a few minutes, I asked the guy how much he wanted for it. Apparently he didnt know what he had, because after learning it was a fast ratio box he decided not to sell. WTF? Needless to say I was a little upset. Mostly at myself for informing HIM of what HE had! Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Here are the pictures of the fast ratio power steering on my 1970 Dart.
They are c-body pieces( gear box with 1.100 spline, idler and pitman arms, centerlink and turnbuckles ). These parts were made to fit on the dart. The idler arm needed to be reduced in size to fit the k-frame bracket, and the passenger side turnebuckle was cut down from both ends to 7" overall. The drivers side splash pan was modified so there would not be any rubbing. From the rear mounting hole forward to the opening for the turnbuckle to pass though is a measurement of 7 3/4". The drivers side turnbuckle is standard length of 8 3/4".

Attachments

• Dart fast ratio steering 007 (Medium).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 824
  • Dart fast ratio steering 006 (Medium).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 845
  • Dart fast ratio steering 014 (Medium).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 773
  • Dart fast ratio steering 012 (Medium).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 735
  • Dart fast ratio steering 010 (Medium).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 752
Status