Favorite Crate Engines?

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So my dreams of a new hemi in my 67 project Dart are evaporating as quick as the money in my pocket it's taking to just get the car back to road-worthy. That being said, I'm now debating a small block crate or buildup swap since the car already has a 318 in it. So my question to everyone is, what in your opinion is one of the best crate small block options out there? I realize it all depends on application, but how about stuff like what's the cheapest (quality or reputable) build, most powerful, most reliable, etc. engine out there? I was just looking at a Blueprint brand 408 stroker mentioned in another thread, but it seems like a bit of a sketchy company. Ideally I myself am looking for something around 400+ horse that I would probably drop a blower on at some point down the road when I make some more money, but is there any good base out there I could start with or am I going to just have to build from the ground up? Does anyone besides Blueprint offer anything remotely near 400 horse for around $4000?

All of the crate type engines I know of and would recommend far exceed the $4K complete, plus shipping. Find a 360 locally, have it rebuilt with decent pistons, and run it. Witha moderate cam your at 400+

I wouldn't necessarily need something complete top to bottom, I don't mind pulling some stuff off my current engine like a carb, fuel pump, accessories, etc. How about stroker kits or something of the like? Is there anything out there for a reasonable price? I have no problem doing the engine assembly myself, I enjoy it, but it seems like buying parts isn't as cost effective as crate lately unless you really look for deals. That and I'll admit I really don't know much about combinations. I could find parts for good prices, but I wouldn't really know what would work together and finding parts for Mopars seems to be quite a challenge when I start looking around.

not so much of a challenge, but more cash than other big 3 parts. It's open for opinions but I can't see a quality stroker going together for $4K. You'll get more out of a properly designed 360 than a 4" arm with not enough head, header, intake, or carb. Stroker kits are not creted equal, cheap stuff needs work beyond plastigage and a service manual, and need to have air to make power. A basic 360 with hyper pistons at 0 deck, a set of Brian's (OU812 on here and Moparts.com) LA-X heads, and your current intake and carb and you can reliably reach 400hp/430tq with a fairly mild cam. You can save by factory balancing it and use the B&M flexplate, don't need main studs or anything fancy. I'd think by assembling yourself and re-using a carb, intake, ignition, and headers you could be out of it for around $3800.

-
Back