FBO's black HEI ignition box

-
I made a mistake in post #71: that the Pro 20 mag spark duration [ @ 6000 rpm ] is 71 mSec. It is in fact a LOT less, 1.4mSec & is the same for the 44 mag.

RB,
I don't think we can can get baby steps small enough for you......

The 20 mag produces 0.3 amp [ 300 mAmp ] of secondary [ spark plug ] current, & the 44 mag produces 1.2 amp. Both less than battery & coil ign as shown in earlier posts. Maybe that explains why very few people use mags.....
To produce these spark outputs, the 20 mag generates 20 amps & the 44 mag generates 44 amps in the primary coil. You do understand the difference between pri & sec??

RB,
I don't think we can can get baby steps small enough for you......

The 20 mag produces 0.3 amp [ 300 mAmp ] of secondary [ spark plug ] current, & the 44 mag produces 1.2 amp. Both less than battery & coil ign as shown in earlier posts. Maybe that explains why very few people use mags.....
To produce these spark outputs, the 20 mag generates 20 amps & the 44 mag generates 44 amps in the primary coil. You do understand the difference between pri & sec??

Do you? Because neither the 20 or the 44 make that many PRIMARY amps unless you use the fucked up math that MSD uses.

So once again, you don’t know **** about magnetos, how they SHOULD be rated or plug gaps or really much anything else.

Go pound sand smart guy.

Smart guy,
Go the MSD spec sheet:
'primary current 44 amps'. 20 amps for the 20 mag

I will take MSD's word over your useless info...............every day of the week.

Smart guy,
Go the MSD spec sheet:
'primary current 44 amps'. 20 amps for the 20 mag

I will take MSD's word over your useless info...............every day of the week.

You do realize (I doubt you do but I’m trying to be nice to you, you know age and senility and all) that MSD does NOT rate it’s Mag’s but the industry standard of RMS???

Ooooooooopsie. That’s right. To sell their junk they had to change the way they measure primary current.

Thats why all those fools who had 5 or 10 amp Mallory mags were massively disappointed because their shiny new MSD mag didn’t make any more power.

They got suckered by the MSD marketing department.

So believe the liars at MSD all you want. I mean, why wouldn’t you? You think big plug gals make power, the GM advance mechanism is the greatest thing ever and that a bigger Main Air Bleed delays booster start.

You’re so damned gullible you believe any crapola that comes along.

RB,
The new glasses are not working. I have provided IN THIS THREAD examples of bigger plug gaps making more HP. Go look for it.

I didn't get suckered by anyone, least of all you. You are the one claiming MSD figures are false. Prove it!!!!! Provide another manufactures specs that uses RMS.

RB,
You clown, I never said the HEI adv mech was the greatest ever. What I did say is that the design allowed for easy changes to the curve due to the variety of weights/centreplates available.

Twice now in this thread you have introduced air bleeds into an ign thread. I ignored the first time....
Like just about everything else, you are WRONG about air bleeds.
I will highlight it for you in case the glasses are not working or YOU are becoming senile.
"BIGGER MAIN AIR BLEEDS START THE SYSTEM LATER, NOT EARLIER".
Don't take my word for it. Mike Urich, Holley engineer & later VP:

RB,
You clown, I never said the HEI adv mech was the greatest ever. What I did say is that the design allowed for easy changes to the curve due to the variety of weights/centreplates available.

Twice now in this thread you have introduced air bleeds into an ign thread. I ignored the first time....
Like just about everything else, you are WRONG about air bleeds.
I will highlight it for you in case the glasses are not working or YOU are becoming senile.
"BIGGER MAIN AIR BLEEDS START THE SYSTEM LATER, NOT EARLIER".
Don't take my word for it. Mike Urich, Holley engineer & later VP:

Mike Urich…the same idiot that in his book says to set power valve opening at 1/2 idle vacuum?

No wonder you get everything wrong.

Increasing the MAB starts the mains SOONER. It does NOT delay them.

But I digress. MSD lied about it s mag output AND it’s battery fired ignition output.

And since you have itching ears you love to be lied to.

rest of post #84

- the mixture will become leaner as the size of the bleed is increased'
- Carter Carbs, Dave Emanuel: 'As bleed size is enlarged, the vacuum reqd to initiate fuel flow is INCREASED. Conversely, a reduction in bleed size reduces vacuum signal requirements & the fuel flow is more easily initiated.'
- Graham Bell, 4 stroke Performance Tuning: 'a large MAB leans the mixture, especially at higher rpm'
- Graham Bell, Modern Engine Tuning: ' The AB reduces the signal from the discharge nozzle....a larger AB leans the mixture.'

Here are a couple of hints to help you understand how an AB works:
- high school physics. The real physics, not your version when it suits you.
- what happens if you block the fuel bowl vent.

rest of post #84

- the mixture will become leaner as the size of the bleed is increased'
- Carter Carbs, Dave Emanuel: 'As bleed size is enlarged, the vacuum reqd to initiate fuel flow is INCREASED. Conversely, a reduction in bleed size reduces vacuum signal requirements & the fuel flow is more easily initiated.'
- Graham Bell, 4 stroke Performance Tuning: 'a large MAB leans the mixture, especially at higher rpm'
- Graham Bell, Modern Engine Tuning: ' The AB reduces the signal from the discharge nozzle....a larger AB leans the mixture.'

Here are a couple of hints to help you understand how an AB works:
- high school physics. The real physics, not your version when it suits you.
- what happens if you block the fuel bowl vent.

Here’s a clue. You are wrong. And an idiot. Go read NACA 49 and get back to me.

Once you get that done, read Taylor’s books. Maybe it will sink in then, but I doubt it.

Still waiting for proof about MSD 'lies'. A statement from you proves nothing, because 90% of the time you are WRONG.
And on what page does Urich say use 1/2 of the idle vac for the PV?????????
He says this on p. 129 as a tuning example; 'If a 65 PV is in the carb & vac occasionally drops to 5" of Hg at idle or part throttle, install a 4.0 PV'.

I have read plenty of books on carburetion & don't need to read anymore to know how air bleeds work.

So, expert, tell us how an air bleed works????????????? What actually causes fuel flow from the booster? How does the AB affect that flow? You wouldn't have a clue.

...And plug gaps:
[1] 'The bigger the gap, the more energy the first & most critical nanoseconds of the spark has.' D. Vizard

[2] 'Use as much spark plug gap as possible for a strong running but not to the point of misfire. With most race ign systems the plug gap tends to be in the 050-060 range'. D. Vizard

...And plug gaps:
[1] 'The bigger the gap, the more energy the first & most critical nanoseconds of the spark has.' D. Vizard

[2] 'Use as much spark plug gap as possible for a strong running but not to the point of misfire. With most race ign systems the plug gap tends to be in the 050-060 range'. D. Vizard

Yep, tested it. ZERO horsepower. ZERO. Keep spewing bullshit. It will stick to some poor sucker and screw him over.

I have read plenty of books on carburetion & don't need to read anymore to know how air bleeds work.

So, expert, tell us how an air bleed works????????????? What actually causes fuel flow from the booster? How does the AB affect that flow? You wouldn't have a clue.

Schools out. I’m not your teacher or your buddy.

I said read NACA 49 and Taylors books. In fact, this has come up so much before I took a picture of what Taylor says about MAB and how they function. And I posted that picture right here on FABO a so guys can see what an idiot you are.

Im not doing it again. What I will do is say its in volume 2. If you ask me very nice I will even give you the page number.

The rest is up to you.

Still waiting for proof about MSD 'lies'. A statement from you proves nothing, because 90% of the time you are WRONG.
And on what page does Urich say use 1/2 of the idle vac for the PV?????????
He says this on p. 129 as a tuning example; 'If a 65 PV is in the carb & vac occasionally drops to 5" of Hg at idle or part throttle, install a 4.0 PV'.

Try this again. An MSD 12 amp mag does NOT produce 12 amp, primary or otherwise. The same can be said for the 20 and the 44.

Like I said, MSD uses a different method (not RMS) to measure its mag output. They did that for marketing. Nothing else.

I call that disingenuous at best. Really it’s lying.

I hate liars.

So because YOU tested it, it doesn't work. Must be true then! We are all relieved to hear that.

You might want to tell Phil Jacobs, maybe he will give you his PhD in Electrical Engineering, because he says this: ....The sparkplug gap, which can range from 0.018"to 0.125" in a modern engine.

Still waiting to hear how fuel flows from the booster & how the AB affects that flow. If you don't know the theory, then you couldn't know how it works in practice.......

So because YOU tested it, it doesn't work. Must be true then! We are all relieved to hear that.

You might want to tell Phil Jacobs, maybe he will give you his PhD in Electrical Engineering, because he says this: ....The sparkplug gap, which can range from 0.018"to 0.125" in a modern engine.

Still waiting to hear how fuel flows from the booster & how the AB affects that flow. If you don't know the theory, then you couldn't know how it works in practice.......

It wasn’t just me. Do you not read well? Not one single guy I know who has actually tested those big gaps found any power. NONE.

NONE. And I’d bet that’s probably 40 guys who I trust (some of them with dyno pulls going back to the 1970’s for proof.

I have wasted whole days at the track (I got paid but the stupid customer lost his ***) testing plug gaps. That’s ALL we tested. And never anything. Ever.

On the dyno it’s the same. Wheel dyno, crank dyno didn‘t matter. ZERO.

So live on in little fantasy Pontiac world where real testing doesn’t matter.

Since Jacobs said it it must be true. But it’s NOT. A .125 gap? That’s stupid.

Again, I’m not explaining anything to you. You are too stupid to learn.

Go read the Taylor books. He explains it in two or three sentences. You should be able to understand that.

Spark plug gap, wider doesn't always produce a better kernel.
I've found bordering on the lesser side as producing the best spark.
I learned that years ago dealing with 2 strokes

RB,
I don't need to read Taylor's book or any other book to understand how an air bleed works. I know how it works, it is not that hard; but you haven't got a clue because you cannot describe the process.

Fishmen,
This clown RB keeps thinking of power & plug gaps as in peak power. Whatever the peak power rpm is, the engine starts producing power from idle all the way to peak power. If a larger plug gap makes more power at, say, cruise rpm, & doesn't lose HP anywhere else, than that is win-win.
And often this is the case.

Fishmen,
This clown RB keeps thinking of power & plug gaps as in peak power. Whatever the peak power rpm is, the engine starts producing power from idle all the way to peak power. If a larger plug gap makes more power at, say, cruise rpm, & doesn't lose HP anywhere else, than that is win-win.
And often this is the case.

Wrong again moron. I’ll say it again. I’ve found ZERO horsepower anywhere in curve. EVER. Not even once.

Of course, your *** dyno is so accurate you could find .1 HP across 10k RPM.

You need to calibrate your *** better because it’s way off.

-
Back