Feeling a little guilty

General Discussion

1. plum crazy dart

plum crazy dart Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:50 PM
    I was surfing fabo and making macaroni salad a little while ago when there was a knock on my door. I went to the door and the man standing there says to me.. "I go by here fairly often and I've seen you working on bikes and stuff in the driveway. I have a bike in the storage facility up the street and it won't start I was wondering if you could take a look at it." I told him I'm not a mechanic but i'd be willing to help him out if I can. He told me he just put a new battery in it and it has no power to anything. So I shut off my stove (had eggs and macaroni boiling) grabbed my test light and multi meter and off we went. I check the battery with the test light and it had juice but the connections were loose. He didn't have any tools and all I brought were those two. After a drive back to my house I loaded a bag with tools and went back. Had to remove the seat and sadddlebags to get the side cover off to find a fuse box. Found it and found a blown main fuse, replaced it and it had power. Then I proceded to look for why. Well it is a suzuki 1400 and the battery sits in front of the swingarm, you have to unbolt a "trap" door and the battery comes out from the underneath. Found that there was a wire nut on a splice to the + terminal with some exposed wire. Tightened the connections and taped up the exposed wire and put everything back together, making sure the extra wire he had put onto the battery leads were covered and made sure they weren't going to rub tire or anything else. The whole ordeal probably took a couple hrs. He had been telling me how hard he had been trying to get someone to look at it, he had no way to take it anywhere.
    Here's where the problem starts.. He says what do I owe you (I'm thinking maybe $40) I said what's it worth. He says I'll give you $100. I immediately said NO thats way too much and he says I might need help some other time. So we go to the gas station to get some gas for it and he comes out with a soda and $100 for me. We had been talking about sea foam and I told him I had just got some and he asked if he could get a splash. He brought me home I gave him some sea foam and gave him $20 back and told him that $100 was just too much money. I gave him my # and told him if he needed any help to call me. Now I'm thinking that I really should have given him $40. back and I'm feeling guilty and have no way to get ahold of him :( Am I wrong for feeling this way?

2. Oklacarcollecto

Oklacarcollecto Life is an experiment

Local Time:
    8:50 PM
    He was greatful for the help and was willing to give you the money so just count your blessings because he is counting his too since his bike is running.

3. Swinger803

Swinger803 1973 Dart Swinger 225

Local Time:
    Everyone has a different level of knowledge and understanding. To you it was a quick troubleshoot. To him it might have seemed like you were a magician! Not all good deeds go unrewarded.

4. 65BCODA

65BCODA Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Don't feel guilty........he paid what it was worth to him.

At least you went out of your way to help a stranger........lotsa folks would have shut the door in his face not wanting to miss dancing with the stars.

Never did say how your mac salad turned out.............

5. 67cudafb

67cudafb Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    There is no reason to feel guilty. The guy got his bike running and he is happy. If he had to call a tow truck and had it hauled to a bike shop it would have cost him $300 to $ 400 bucks. You did the guy a favor.

6. VDART

VDART Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Good Man!!--- you fixed his issue-- he rewarded you-- enjoy your moment!!

opportunity knocked you answered & were given thanks -- doesn't get much better,

Lawrence

7. kahuna1949

kahuna1949 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Look how much worry you took off his mind, that sounds like a good deal for both and your a good man.

8. bighammer

bighammer Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:50 PM
    Just call it a $60 fee, if that make you feel better, and a $40 tip!

That new friend of yours seems like a cool guy.

9. gunbunny

gunbunny FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Nope, you did good. I charge $88.50 hr flat rate. Of course you're not keeping a shop open, but your time and experience is worth something.
    He'll remember you, he'll be back needing other things done.

10. superdart426

superdart426 Banned

Local Time:
    don't feel guilty..it was worth 100 to him.and now his bike is fixed and he is happy..

11. ramcharger

ramcharger Dismember

Local Time:
    7:50 PM
    I'm very cheap and only charge 50 and hour. You saved him a tow fee and probably a $300 labor charge plus parts. PLUS, you are unemployed IIRC. Keep it and feel good about it.

12. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    [​IMG]

Besides, what a "mechanic" would have charged to pick up tools and ride out there would have been more than that at going shop rates.

13. '73 Root Beer

'73 Root Beer Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    As stated I think what you did was commendable, he paid what he thought was fair to him.

I'd be worried you have a new "buddy". Projects are fun when they are yours, work when they are others.

14. plum crazy dart

Local Time:
    Thanks for the comments. I only took the $80 because yes I am still unemployed. But I still feel guilty. Never before have I been given so much for doing so little. I really think I would feel better about myself if I had given him $40 back.

15. RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod Lemmie see your b00bs. FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    No need to feel guilty. You did something he couldn't get anyone else to do. You helped him.

16. MoparDaddy

MoparDaddy Damn Right I Carry!

Local Time:
    I see no reason to feel guilty. You gave him your number in case he needs help in the future. He may née as little as to borrow a screw driver later. You both receive a blessing today. Cherish that thought :)

17. R4Sedan

R4Sedan Larry FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Don't worry about it. You might gain a nice friend too, and those are hard to come by.Down here in Florida you can get these lazy you know what's to do anything you can throw your checkbook at them and they'll still run from you.

18. roadrunnerh

roadrunnerh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You're a really cool guy who was able to help him in a pinch! No need to feel guilty. You went above and beyond!

I wanna hear about your macaroni salad recipe, don't hold out on us......:D

19. 67dartgtgo

67dartgtgo FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Pete, I'm thinking you're probably going to see him in the future. If you still feel this way when you see him you could do whatever you think.
    In the meantime, you did what most guys wouldn't do. You helped a complete stranger who knocked on your door asking for a longshot maybe. That's totally commendable my friend and he wanted to reward you for being you.
    Don't feel guilty but follow your heart when the time comes if your in the notion and not cash strapped.
    By the way....I'd like to knock on your door when I need help too. Inspirational.

20. Bad Sport

Bad Sport HALF A BUBBLE OFF Staff Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    I'm with the others on this, think of it this way, when he did find someone to help with the repairs it would have cost him a lot more than what he gave you to call a shop, transport the bike to the shop etc.

I bet he thinks he got a bargain.

21. 19 Again..

19 Again.. Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Sometimes we entertain Angels unaware... You may see him again, you may not. But your selfless act says alot about your character.. That speaks volumes to all of us who read your note. If you feel guilty then return the favor given to you to someone unknown to you who may need a little help.. My hats off to you.. If we'd all be a little less busy and alot more understanding we'd all be better for it,,

22. plum crazy dart

Local Time:
    Thanks you all so very much for the compliments :prayer: It's just who I am.
    If ya really want to hear about my mac salad recipe i'll tell ya. I do get people asking me to bring it to functions so it must be ok.
    67dart or any one else out there if you were ever in need and I could help I would hope you would look me up. I'd be honored. I was going to say I'd help any stranger that knocked at my door...but I think I already did that. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside :D

• Like Like x 1
    • 67dartgtgo

67dartgtgo FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Thanks bro...works both ways.

• 4spdragtop

4spdragtop CONGRATS NORTH AMERICA! FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Good on ya Pete! I bet he will be back and as someone above said he may come looking for more advice/help. If he does take him out for a burger.

• stilliniraq73

stilliniraq73 72scampjocky

Local Time:
      4 stars for honesty my brother.........but remember, he may be back sooner than you think....lol that's what always happens to me anyway.....
      a Real American you are.......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.