Fender tag decode

-

WILLIAM BEATY

Reaction score
fender tag.jpeg
looking for help with my road runner fender tag. Im getting different thing when using a fender tag decoder online

I'm NO expert on fender tags, but that's an odd one to me?? Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in...

Cool car, one of my favorites............
The V.I.N. on the dash should be RM23J9A219964
Reading from the bottom left of the tag it goes as follows:

Line 1
RM23- Road Runner 2 door hard top
E74- 426 Hemi engine
D32- H.D. 727 torqueflite automatic transmission
131- scheduled build date of January 31, 1969
246609- the order number

Line 2
F8- main body color of dark green metallic
F8- roof color of dark green metallic (this car was all one color with no vinyl roof)
H2X- Upholstery style is Medium class vinyl bench seat
X9- interior was black in color

Line 3
7X- longitudinal pinstripe black in color
N96- air grabber hood (fresh air hood)

Line 4
26- 26 inch radiator

Line 5 and 6
I'm not sure what the numbers on line 5 pertain to, my best guess is that they are assembly line info that the workers would use during assembly.
Line 6 numbers I'm not sure of the first 2 sets, but the last set is the last numbers of the V.I.N. which is
9A219964.
9- 1969 model year
A- Assembly plant which is Lynch Road, Michigan
219964- the last 6 digits of the serial number of the car

So, from what i get is that the car is a Dark green colored with black side stripe '69 Road Runner 2 door hard top, 426 Hemi, column shifted automatic, mid grade black bench seat interior car with headrests (head rests were mandatory after January 1st 1969) built on or around January 31st 1969.
The 26 inch radiator and air grabber hood support the Hemi car option because they would have been standard with the Hemi option.
A pretty low optioned car really, it was most likely built to spend some time at the drag strip as there weren't many comfort options ordered.
The broadcast or build sheet would tell the whole story about any other options the car came with or for sure how it was originally equipped.

I hope this helps you!

B.T.W., i would love to see pictures of the car and the build sheet..........

-
Back