Fenton Gyro slot mag wheels for 68 fastback project

-

ssba

Reaction score
I just got these today, haven't cleaned them up yet.
Rears are 15" x 11"
Fronts are 15" x 6"
Both pair are 4 1/2" bolt pattern
Also got 4 N.O.S. Fenton caps
I wanted to get some opinions on what tires you guys would run with these wheels?
I don't have a preference yet radial or bias plys.
The car has the 73 up spindles and cordoba disc brakes.
Also has had the rear springs moved into the rails and inner wells widened.
Bodywork has not been started so fender trimming or stretching is not a problem
Truck Dana has not been cut yet. No gear selected yet.
The car has a 440 mechanical secondary six pack engine with solid .528 cam and a passion 18 spline 833.
I am building this car for street only. Air cond, console and full interior. Weight not a concern.
If this was the 70's I would just buy me a set of formula 1 super stock tires, all opinions welcome, what rubber would you put on them. I can't seem to make a choice on this car.
I will add a picture or two.

Pictures of the fentons

Attachments

• IMG_20140404_221505_256-1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG_20140404_221547_500-1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_20140404_221608_977-1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 477
15x11's are new to me,nice find. Are you doing a set period look,or trying to get some modern performance? With that kind of torque(and a stick), I was thinking something semi sticky(drag radial,perhaps?).

That is kind of where my indecision lies. I have always built my cars with period parts.
This one I want to be able to use more as a daily and not just for sunny afternoon shows or drag only. I am trying to work out the type/size of tire and gear ratio that I can take it on a interstate trip. Of course a vintage look appeals to me but I would sacrifice the square corner tire look if I need to on this car. I have never had a set of the drag radials to know if they are interstate worthy. Hoping to learn from others who have used some of the more modern tires to make a tire choice.
This car will never see the track, that I am sure of. I would like to keep the tires as tall as I can. I am almost certain I will cut the fenders for a tall dia. I'm thinking 29 or 30. Do they even
make drag radials in these diameters?

Maybe BFGoodrich Radial T/As since they're close to period correct and a radial design. The widest that would fit the 15x11s would be a 295/50R15 and maybe something like a 215/70R15 for the 15x6s.

Check out Coker Tire for a set of "Pos a Traction" tires. They were popular here in the mid west back in the late 60's early 70's
Jim

Check out Coker Tire for a set of "Pos a Traction" tires. They were popular here in the mid west back in the late 60's early 70's
Jim
Max wheel size they can be mounted on is 10", done noticed that or would have also recomended them.

That is kind of where my indecision lies. I have always built my cars with period parts.
This one I want to be able to use more as a daily and not just for sunny afternoon shows or drag only. I am trying to work out the type/size of tire and gear ratio that I can take it on a interstate trip. Of course a vintage look appeals to me but I would sacrifice the square corner tire look if I need to on this car. I have never had a set of the drag radials to know if they are interstate worthy. Hoping to learn from others who have used some of the more modern tires to make a tire choice.
This car will never see the track, that I am sure of. I would like to keep the tires as tall as I can. I am almost certain I will cut the fenders for a tall dia. I'm thinking 29 or 30. Do they even
make drag radials in these diameters?

I was thinking ,from a safety standpoint. If stuff happens,a big inch wedge/stick can be a hand full on the traction aspect.I run 275/60/15 BF G Drag Radials,27" installed on a 15x8 rim. Done time on the interstates,they are fine. Some of drag radials go up to 315 ,on a 15 inch rim. Tire life, I can't vouch for. I would look at a good radial,whatever you do. Kegan suggested, B.F.G's .(not a bad choice).

Mickey Thompson and Coker makes N50- 15's in their sportsman tire line which would look good on the 15 x 11's

Mickey Thompson and Coker makes N50- 15's in their sportsman tire line which would look good on the 15 x 11's

Decent tires,Sportsman's. The Sportsman Pros are wrinkle wall,watch for that. Check for need of tubes ,on these.

Thanks for the input guys, I will check the B.F.Goodrich for sizes first. I think I want to stay away from tubes if I can on this car. Might have to go with the sportsmans or N 50s to get something that fits the width though.
I do think when these wheels were made they would have got N 50s or slicks.
It seems most of the newer radial tires with any width I have seen are for 17 & 18" wheels.
And have a shorter sidewall.

Decent tires,Sportsman's. The Sportsman Pros are wrinkle wall,watch for that. Check for need of tubes ,on these.

The n50 M/T don't need tubes , as they are not the pro's. Had a set for a few years now on my car and I checked before I put them on

295/50R/15s.
These are mounted on 10 inch slotted wheels (1960s), springs have been moved in 3/4". Tires are just inside of the widest part of the wheel well.
And they don't cost a fortune!!!
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC01625.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC02683.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC02686.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC02688.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC02693.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 462
The n50 M/T don't need tubes , as they are not the pro's. Had a set for a few years now on my car and I checked before I put them on

Correct,Geo. A couple of the smaller sizes Sportsman's, don't need tubes. Never tried the N50 size.

OK, I have done some research on drag radials and decided they are not for me.
I have seen some Hoosier pro street radials that are sized well for my wheels.
They have a directional tread that I wasn't sure I liked but they are steel belted.
They are not priced nice but most things aren't these days.
I haven't found a B.F.Goodrich tire that works with the 11" wheel width yet.
Still sorting through the Mickey Thompson. Tires. They make a lot to look at but they must have discontinued the sportsmans and only have the sportsman pros that has a wrinkle sidewall that I don't want.
Still looking for N 50s.

-
Back