Fiberglass... What's good?

-

TopherSM

Reaction score
So I've been looking for some fiberglass parts for my 68 Barracuda Notchback which I want to build a type of BO29 look with the fiberglass front end (minus the Hemi), but the reviews are all over the place so I thought I would start my own thread.
The questions I had were what is everyone else running? How was the quality and fit-up along with the overall company experience.
I live right down the street from Unlimited so I was thinking about going with them to save money on shipping, but I haven't heard anything good about them.
So please let me know your thoughts and if you could post some pictures and some advice for mounting as well. Thanks for your time I appreciate it.

Chris

Everyone speaks favorably about VFN and Glasstech. The SS hemi hood I got from Kramers is very nice....but for $1350 it damn well should be. I still need front fenders for the car if I finish it so am also wondering who produces the best pieces.

As a body guy, almost any piece I've had in my hands needed some work as far as fitment. On the flipside it was usually supplied to me so I didn't always verify who's or where the stuff came from. Race weight stuff is almost unworkable and I've had to rework the better stuff that comes out of FLA. Just expect that it's going to need some work if you're looking for a nice fit-up.

As a body guy, almost any piece I've had in my hands needed some work as far as fitment. On the flipside it was usually supplied to me so I didn't always verify who's or where the stuff came from. Race weight stuff is almost unworkable and I've had to rework the better stuff that comes out of FLA. Just expect that it's going to need some work if you're looking for a nice fit-up.

Yeah I've heard you always need to do a little tweaking when it comes to fiberglass, so I understand that. I was just trying to get a few opinions as I don't have any experience with it. Thanks

I have a lift off hood on my duster. Dunno who the manufacturer was but with a bolt on hemi scoop and hood pins at each corner of hood, the center of the hood starts to bow upward at speeds near 100. Also consider; simple stuff like checking oil and coolant requires yanking hood and finding a place to set it without tearing it up. The upside is you no longer have to work "under the hood".

I have a lift off hood on my duster. Dunno who the manufacturer was but with a bolt on hemi scoop and hood pins at each corner of hood, the center of the hood starts to bow upward at speeds near 100. Also consider; simple stuff like checking oil and coolant requires yanking hood and finding a place to set it without tearing it up. The upside is you no longer have to work "under the hood".

I have an "unlimited" 6 pack lift off hood on my 68 fast back. I was amazed at how good it fit , was the easiest to install and make work of any of the 4 that I`ve ever done !The hood pins and cutting the 6 pack scoop openings were the hardest part, but no step for a stepper . And yes they are a pain in the a$$ , if u want to get to the engine quickly , or at a gas station. Even getting it out of the way in a regular garage can be a pain. They are seldom perfect tho.

Also another question I wanted to ask was about lift off hoods. I've heard they're a pain in the ***. Thoughts?
The biggest problem I had with a lift off hood was where to put when it was off and was also out of the wind.

The biggest problem I had with a lift off hood was where to put when it was off and was also out of the wind.
I totally agree w/ that. I always have glued thick foam rubber strips under the fiberglass hoods so I could set them on the top of the car. The wind caught the one the old hemi car, back in the day and scratched the top anyway. Now I put an old sheet on the top of the car before setting the hood on it, even w. the foam rubber strips .

-
Back