Inferno Red 74 Duster!

-
I sure hope they fit!!! Likely wait till the 4.30 gears get installed to use them.

Cley
20180627_213056.jpg
20180627_213104.jpg

Well, I am finally going to tune this thing right. I’m starting from scratch. I pulled the plugs, pulled the wires and distributor cap, pulled the distributor and it’s going to run right or kill me in the process! I have researched the **** out of this procedure, but you can’t beat experience and that is something I don’t have.

I confirmed my timing mark with a piston stop that I made. I was actually hoping it was off because last time I was messing with it, it idled the best and had most vacuum (12”) with about 24* initial timing according to my cheap timing light. I will look around and see if I can borrow a timing light to compare to mine.

I checked compression. I checked it cold which may not be the best indication, but what I found was they are all very close to each other. 105, 97, 100, 100, 97, 95, 97 and 100. Those pressures seem low, but they are factory dished pistons in a 76 block with factory 1.88 J heads so I knew they wouldn’t be high. I wish I had some idea what cam is in it.

Here is my plan, I’m going to start with new plugs and wires. The plugs look like I am running lean. I’ll set timing at 20* initial (I know, it seems high) with the FBO plate set to add 14 more for 34 total power timing. My distributor has a V can with a 7R on the arm so I am assuming it will give me another 14* at cruise for a total of 48* at cruise. V can is hoked to ported vacuum.

I set my t-port at just barely over square so I will try and set my Idle at 750-850 or wherever it’s happy. It doesn’t seem to matter what I do with this car, it always wants to idle at about 550 or 600 in gear when it is set to idle in neutral at 950 or more. I have 5.5 PSI fuel pressure after my regulator.

Wish me luck! I really want to get back to the track and improve my time, but I am loving the cruising around too.

Cley

Well, it looks like 2018 Mopar season is rapidly coming to a close for me. A super crappy September stopped me from getting to the track again, but I did get the car running better than it ever has. It's not perfect, but getting there. My biggest victory came in the form of identifying and fixing a major vacuum leak at the intake manifold. Once I fixed that, I really started making headway. I have to revisit my choke settings etc. cause it is hard to start cold now. I have been forced to daily drive it for the last bit because my work car is totaled off and my truck broke too. I should quit with the newer vehicles all together.

I have lots of projects to complete over the winter. I want to get my 8 3/4 rear with the 4.10 or 4.30 gears installed. I think I have everything I need except the axles so that should be a go. I also want to clean up the wiring and hoses under the hood. I want to redo all my relays terminals and wiring looms. It looks kinda shitty under there and every time I go to a cruise, someone asks to see under the hood. I also have to seal the air cleaner to the hood scoop but I got a plan for that now.

My interior hasn’t changed since I started driving the car and it’s starting to bug me. The crummy brown carpet, the home covered door panels and the dirty grey seats need to be addressed. Also my new electric speedo crapped out so I need to fix that.

Anything else I get done will be bonus, but If I could get some side/tail stripes on and clean up my wheels nice, that would be great too. I have a 360 short block I want to freshen up and get ready to install, but that won’t likely get installed this winter. It’s more of a long term project but I want the short block ready in case something goes wrong with the one I am using now. I really know nothing about it except oil pressure seems good and the compression test read right around 100 psi on every hole, so at least it’s consistent.

The goal for next summer is no wrenching, just enjoying!
Cley

I'm not sure this will make it fast, but it will definitely be less slow! I will be I stalling a 750 to replace my 670, a 2500ish stall convertor and a 4.10 sure grip 8 3/4 this weekend. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Cley
1553562272149826383440482261328.jpg

I'm not sure this will make it fast, but it will definitely be less slow! I will be I stalling a 750 to replace my 670, a 2500ish stall convertor and a 4.10 sure grip 8 3/4 this weekend. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

CleyView attachment 1715309207

This is awsome dude!!!!

I didn’t even know you had a build thread. Great read!

Prom is May 4th, so we’re under the gun to get Jason’s done by then. It’s fightingvtill the very end. Lol.

Hoping to do some drag strip testing with member Diymirage this summer if everything goes right, so I’m planing on leaving my Valiant parked this summer and focusing on Jason’s car and my other car.

I can’t wait to read more on your build! Great progress brother.

4.11s might be like riding a chain saw down the highway!! I’m used to my 2.45s. I’m hoping I can still drive Misty down the Parkway and not rev to death with my new 3.55 suregrip.
Get after it Dude, thats a lot of work for one weekend

Last edited:
4.11s might be like riding a chain saw down the highway!! I’m used to my 2.45s. I’m hoping I can still drive Misty down the Parkway and not rev to death with my new 3.55 suregrip.
Get after it Dude, that a lot of work for one weekend

We have 3.73 gears in Jasons car with a 28” tire. It runs 3200 rpm at 70 mph.

It’s a little peaky at highway speed, but about perfect at 55 mph. Right around 2500 rpm.

If my math is right, a 4.10 gear with my .69 overdrive will be the same as a 2.96 gear and a 3 speed. I have another SG center section that I can regear if I feel I want a highway gear as well. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Cley

The weather turned for **** so I have not finished the car. Likely tomorrow. Anybody want an A body 8.25 with a 3.23 SG? No brakes though!

Cley
20190330_170723.jpg

Cley

I spent alot of time under my car today. But it's all back together. One surprising thing I found when I had it all apart was that my mufflers were bulged and leaking around the seams. After I bought them I heard alot of bad things about the summit mufflers that come in their exhaust kits. Well now I got a couple tiny stainless flowmasters and man are they loud! I dont think they will be on there too long. If I leave them I'm sure it will mean a ticket! It's still up on stands but hopefully tomorrow I will get it down and try it out. I am excited to feel the difference the convertor and gear make. Those little 245/60 15 tires dont stand a chance!

Cley

20190407_115317.jpg

Well I got it all together last weekend and took it for a test drive. Lots of clunking and banging from the rear end. I guess the centersection is coming back out tonight. Time to learn about diffs!

On a brighter note, the converter was noticeably better on my test drive!

Cley

I found broken spider gears. What a piss off!

Those were the weak type Sure Grip unit. The one in post 129 that is.
Hopefully you did not damage the 4.10s.

I know this will sound crazy but if any of the parts inside that Sure Grip unit are still good post them up for sale somebody is looking for parts for them. And remember their held together with left hand thread bolts.

Well it's back on the road! I took it to work today. The 4.10s sure change things! And man its loud. Partly because of an additional 500 rpm at 70mph and partially because of my new mufflers that are more of a wide spot in the pipe than a muffler. I'm sure glad to be back driving it again!

Cley

So my wrench free summer didn't pan out! My new torque converter leaked so I decided to pull the motor, replace the converter, fix a couple leaks on the motor, replace the oil pump, and a bunch of other things while it was out. Oh and my baby gets a new set of shoes for street legal night this Friday, if I can get the hood on, the steering column back together and the tires and wheels switched over. 195-65/15 fronts on 15x5.5 and 275-60/15 MT drag radials on 15x8.5s out back.
It's like all the car TV shows! Down to the wire or we're going to lose the shop!

Cley
20190717_213554.jpg

And here we go! Last night I fixed the leaks on my line lock and went over everything once more. Sure glad to have it back drivable again! I am supposed to go to test and tune tonight but its supposed to rain. Oh well, I'm happy with my mee wheels, the back ones fit like a glove. I think I'll trim or roll the wheel lips some but with the SS springs I'm sure it won't hit anyway.

Cley
20190718_161345.jpg

I'm starting to think I am shitty at this whole car thing. After all I did, I have fixed all the old leaks, added a line lock that leaked like crazy, fixed that, and now my power steering is leaking. **** sakes I may never drive this car!
It probably took me 2 years of screwing around to tune it right, now I screwed that up and of course I can't remember where it was set before.
Some stuff is great, my AC is blowing ice cold, the temp stays at 190 right on the stat, the new tires and wheels are spot on.
Good thing I enjoy this ******* **** or I would have quit a while ago! I'm going to the lake for a week, then maybe my give a **** will grow back and I can get ready for some racing in mid August.
Rant over!

Cley

How'd I miss this thread? I know I ain't got but one eye and all but I thought it did pretty good. This is a cool build, Cley. GLad to see somebody has some balls where gears are concerned. I am SICK of seeing "3.55, 3.55, 3.55" all the time. I'm trying right now to decide what to put in the Ford 9" I am narrowing for the Valiant. Since I'm only going to run a 235 60 14 on the back, it's either going to be a 3.89 or a 4.10. Good job so far, Cley!

-
Back