Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
Actually, I was 100% successful with the dash lights. I worked on getting the car ready to start yesterday. I ran up the oil pressure to get the top end lubed and set the timing to 15 degrees of advance. Placed a battery in the tray and cranked the car over.......unfortunately, she didn't start :(. The car didn't start but the brake light lit on the dash :).
Looks like I have an ignition issue to track down. I'll figure it out. I was too tired and hot to keep at it last night.

U gotta install the coil wire

I did install the coil wire before I tried to fire her up. I almost forgot but remembered at the last moment.

Its most likely something simple.
Take time to analyze everything, the problem will show up.

I'm running a Pertronix ignition . I decided to replace the dual points with this system because of maintaining the factory look. I worked on the car last night. Made sure that the distributor had good ground....still no luck. I then dug out my old Mopar electronic ignition coil and she fired right up! Works cannot describe how happy I was. The 340 sounded great and idled smoothly. I took a video that I will download on YouTube later tonight.

The coil was a Pertronix FlameThrower. I can't say that the coil was defective. I have a feeling that things got screwed up during the engine dyno. The engine builder ran the motor with a Mallory HEI distributor because we couldn't get spark with the Pertronix unit. Pertronix sent me a new distributor unit but I didn't even thing about checking out the coil. Here's a brief clip from last nights fun!

The coil was a Pertronix FlameThrower. I can't say that the coil was defective. I have a feeling that things got screwed up during the engine dyno. The engine builder ran the motor with a Mallory HEI distributor because we couldn't get spark with the Pertronix unit. Pertronix sent me a new distributor unit but I didn't even thing about checking out the coil. Here's a brief clip from last nights fun!

Sounds & looks great Kevin! Looking forward to veiwing in person! Nice work!

Sounds good, are you going to road trip it to Carsile or the Nationals this year?

To Carlisle for sure. Carlisle isn't that far of a trip from Lancaster, PA. My brother and I make our annual pilgrimage every year.

To Carlisle for sure. Carlisle isn't that far of a trip from Lancaster, PA. My brother and I make our annual pilgrimage every year.
It’s a blast, my cousin and his boy go every year.
His boy is still young 13 years old this year, show him a picture of a part, the little blood-hound will find it.
He has found some hard to find stuff in bottom of boxes.
But he hates dragging my green lawn wagon around, he has to drag the wagon if he wants me to feed him.

I couldn't wait to get the front seat installed today. I was anxious to get behind the wheel and see how the car fits after all these years. This car originally had just the standard spit bench seat. My brother and I risked life and limb to remove the tattered remains of the split bench with fold down armrest from the local junk yard back in the late 70's. The owner looked at me as if I was crazy and charged me $5. It's finally time to put the seat in and I'm was excited as a little child at Christmas. I'm very happy with how the interior turned out. I think that the split bench with armrest gives me the best of both worlds. Bench seat and pseudo buckets.:lol:

IMG_2514.JPG

I took that same seat out of my duster, except it was white.

I couldn't wait to get the front seat installed today. I was anxious to get behind the wheel and see how the car fits after all these years. This car originally had just the standard spit bench seat. My brother and I risked life and limb to remove the tattered remains of the split bench with fold down armrest from the local junk yard back in the late 70's. The owner looked at me as if I was crazy and charged me $5. It's finally time to put the seat in and I'm was excited as a little child at Christmas. I'm very happy with how the interior turned out. I think that the split bench with armrest gives me the best of both worlds. Bench seat and pseudo buckets.:lol:

View attachment 1715322481
Yes. We had to navigate around an active hornet's nest too before we could remove that seat. Glad it found a good home!

Your getting really close now Kevin and after decades of not driving mine, like you, it’s an real thrill to feel her on the road again and I have to admit the head turns are fun! Looks and sounds terrific! :thumbsup:

Pulled the car out of the garage today. This is the first time that she's been outside under own power since 1983. I need to install the side stripes and finish with the heater cables. One cable got a kink and it broke when I tried to straighten it. Rear bumper needs to be bolted in place. Final step will be windshield and rear glass installation.

It sounds great, and your interior is beautiful! I have the same seat to go in my Duster, and had planned to use the nice door panels like those in your car. Congrats on being almost done. Your hard work really shows now that it has all come together. :)

-
Back