Finally got it done, for the most part (Custom Pistol Grip Shifter)

-

DionR

Reaction score
IMAG0426.jpg

PC090525.JPG

A bunch of years ago (like 15 or more), I really wanted a pistol grip shifter in my Duster, but couldn’t afford the $600 price tag at the time. Plus, I didn’t want to spend that for something I thought was going to be too long and need to be modified. To clarify, my Brother had done a B-Body shifter in an A-Body and he needed a pie cut to bring the shifter back from the dash. I know they work, seen them in cars recently, but that was the info I was working from at that time.

So, I figured I would design my own and get it cut on the plasma cutter at work. Started with a drawing of an E-Body shifter and moved the handle around and finally ended up with the grip being about in the same spot as the original shifter ball. But by the time I had it cut, I had traded the Duster to a buddy and didn’t have a place for it anymore, so I gave the handle to my friend with the Duster.

He bolted it in after some work to add some reproduction grips and found that because it was a flat handle (like an E-Body shifter), it put the grips right against your leg and didn’t work well, so he pulled it out and set it aside. Then, in like 2008 or something, I got the car back which included the custom handle and then bought the grips from him later. At some point I built a couple of cardboard mockups to see where and how much to bend the handle to make it workable, then I put the project aside, lost the mockup I had settled on and made no progress on it.

But recently, Brewers released their boot for an A-Body with a rectangular hole for a pistol grip shifter which got me thinking about it again, so I dug it out and finished a couple of things on it including the bends and bolted it in the car. Thanks to Kevin and my Dad for working the torches to get this thing bent.

Here's some more pictures:

PC090530.JPG

PC090531.JPG

PC090526.JPG

PC090534.JPG

PC090536.JPG

Ignore the boot, I have the correct one now even if I haven't swapped it out yet.

BTW, all the pictures are in first gear so that's far as I have to stretch. Didn't do any in 2nd/4th.

Learned a couple of things.

One, next time I won't bend the handle with two different angles. This added a twist that I didn't notice in the cardboard mockup and required an additional twist to the metal creating a tip on the grips and putting it closer to my leg than it would have been had it been done differently. Have to say that I enjoy how it ended up, but I haven't driven it yet and won't until next spring so who knows if it will work in real life.

Second, it needed to be longer to account for the loss in length due to the bends. It might not be an issue as it feels good now, but something to think about if I ever do it again.

Still need to swap the boot to make it complete, but pretty excited to finally have it in the car.

Now I just need the Airgrabber hood. :)

Ok, I'm a little confused?
Doesn't the 71-74 NON console pistol grip handle work in our A bodies W/O a console?
Or is yours similar to that one because you didn't want to pay the long ridicules dollar?
Thx

Ok, I'm a little confused?
Doesn't the 71-74 NON console pistol grip handle work in our A bodies W/O a console?
Or is yours similar to that one because you didn't want to pay the long ridicules dollar?
Thx

Don't misunderstand the purpose of this thread, it's not to say that this is a better way or someone should follow. This thread is only here to say I finally finished a 15 year project. :)

Remember that I started this about 15 years ago when their really wasn't much of an internet to research things and my only source was personal contacts that said a B-Body shifter needed a pie cut to work. Perhaps my brother used a console or bench seat shifter, not sure. At the time it was $600 for a shifter that I thought needed to be modified and I had access to a plasma cutter and AutoCAD, so I built my own.

Now that there is a shifter that works (non-console 71-74 B-Body) and cheaper reproductions, I wouldn't go down this road again. Can't say mine is any better, only that I did it.

I can say in the end I only have like $80 or so in it, but that is without chrome or anything.

I got that. I didn’t realize at the time they didn’t have one that would fit like today’s! Nice job on yours!

Just a quick follow up

Last year driving the car, this had to be one of my favorite features. Absolutely loved how my hand just fell to the handle, very natural. Felt so good.

Being this was a custom setup, the handle wasn’t going to land like anyone else’s and it had the potential to be off and feel weird once I was able to drive it. Just glad to say that didn’t happen.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Awesome! Glad you finished the project. Those grips were priced past Pluto. No way was I going to spend that Enormous! price tag either! I thought they were out of there minds on crystal meth myself.

You know, that MoPar gold that rusts syndrome!

-
Back