Finally Got My Dart

-

SixgunSal

Reaction score
I've spent the last week cleaning my garage so I could get the dart inside. I never thought I'd see the garage floor again in my lifetime...but my daughter took control and now I can park and walk inside it. Here's a few pics that were part of the selling package from where I bought it. My wife and I have been on 1 shortish ride in it, and living in Florida, we were drenched after about 20 minutes lol. The a/c needs converting, and so do the brakes. First time I went to stop I seriously had my doubts I was going to stop in time. I guess I'll be researching and reading on how to do the conversions...but 2 of the things I've never messed with on a car before. I tried to upload some photos and it seemed to work but they might be too big.

mycengine1969-dodge-dart-gts.jpg

mybinside1969-dodge-dart-gts.jpg

mya1969-dodge-dart-gts.jpg

my1969-dodge-dart-gts.jpg

Nice clean looking car.
Brakes and AC are not too bad, plenty of info on here to help you get the job done.

I've spent the last week cleaning my garage so I could get the dart inside. I never thought I'd see the garage floor again in my lifetime...but my daughter took control and now I can park and walk inside it. Here's a few pics that were part of the selling package from where I bought it. My wife and I have been on 1 shortish ride in it, and living in Florida, we were drenched after about 20 minutes lol. The a/c needs converting, and so do the brakes. First time I went to stop I seriously had my doubts I was going to stop in time. I guess I'll be researching and reading on how to do the conversions...but 2 of the things I've never messed with on a car before. I tried to upload some photos and it seemed to work but they might be too big.

View attachment 1715579824

View attachment 1715579825

View attachment 1715579826

View attachment 1715579827
That's pretty!

Good looking GTS, can you find someone around there that still works with R-12? Brakes are easy, disks or drums?

Consider just "fixing what is there." Find out what brakes are on it. Is this an original 340 car? Then it should have come with decent brakes. If that is what it has, AKA the brakes native to a 340 car you should be able to get them working well. If it has drums, they might be worn out, not just rough, but worn too large (or turned too large) and so the shoes don't fit right. If you are not going to race it or drive it hard "a lot" that might be a better "fix."

Consider just "fixing what is there." Find out what brakes are on it. Is this an original 340 car? Then it should have come with decent brakes. If that is what it has, AKA the brakes native to a 340 car you should be able to get them working well. If it has drums, they might be worn out, not just rough, but worn too large (or turned too large) and so the shoes don't fit right. If you are not going to race it or drive it hard "a lot" that might be a better "fix."

Thanks for all the great comments. It is not a number matching motor/trans the way I understand it. The car came with the highest output motor for that year. My guess is that it was pulled and probably sold, but who knows. As for the brakes, all around drum brakes, they stop the car but it seems very slowly. One of the places that popped up in my google search of drum to disc conversion was TheRamManINC.com - some good information but I can't believe the cost of this project. Also, I want to stick with the 5 X 4 bolt pattern because to switch means having to buy all new rims and tires which aren't needed at this time. He also is one of the few that offers a 5x4 bolt pattern rotor with his kit and it is all a "bolt on" fix. I welcome any and all comments on this...as I said I have almost no experience with brakes (let alone converting them). On the a/c issue - I have not found anyone who will support the R12 refrigerant, plenty of people that will buy it but not sell it. I think I'm going to run up to PepBoys to see if they can do anything for me. I'm also not sure if this is the right place to discuss this so if it's not I will change where it is.

The small bolt pattern disc brake parts show up in the "For Sale" quite regularly, just bide your time & collect what you need.

The small bolt pattern disc brake parts show up in the "For Sale" quite regularly, just bide your time & collect what you need.
A company called "Dr. Diff" sells disc brake kits and the owner is very helpful and knowledgeable. Many of us here buy from him.

nice! HERE'S a closed for sale thread for the stock type brakes you might want. this will give you an idea of what you'd be looking for

You certainly went all in when you became the new owner of your Dart!! It's a beauty!!

Make sure your brake shoes are in good shape and adjusted properly. People didn't usually drive as fast when our cars were built so they didn't need brakes like we have now. Having said that, good brakes are tops on the list to have!!

Great looking Dart. I did the brake conversion on mine and kept the small bolt pattern. I bought the basic stuff like spindles and such from someone here about 12 years ago. Then I believe I got the rotors, caliper rebuild kits and bearings from a local parts store. It was pretty easy and my Dart stops very quickly now.

IF it was mine and IF I was going to keep it and IF I was going to put disk on the front.
I would spring for some big bolt pattern axles with the common wider brake shoes. Not much really.
The front is money either way and you would then have more options in wheels as well.
That new old car feeling.
Peg (1).jpg

We did the Scarbird disc conversion on my son's 65 B'cuda. But the brackets from Scarebird and sourced the rest locally and at rock auto. That was about 6 hears ago. Total cost was right around $325.

We did the Scarbird disc conversion on my son's 65 B'cuda. But the brackets from Scarebird and sourced the rest locally and at rock auto. That was about 6 hears ago. Total cost was right around $325.

How does it stop? Are yall satisfied with it?

How does it stop? Are yall satisfied with it?

Stops pretty well. Added a dual reservoir manual disk master cylinder for a 71 Cuda, plumbed it all in thru a matching proportioning valve and have had no issues. Stops true and straight.

Stops pretty well. Added a dual reservoir manual disk master cylinder for a 71 Cuda, plumbed it all in thru a matching proportioning valve and have had no issues. Stops true and straight.

Hay thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

-
Back