finaly got something done..

-

1Fast340

Reaction score
long story, about 5years ago my previous 340 split two bores while looking for a new block i found a twinscrew supercharger for a good price´(you can all see where this is heading?) started getting more parts for that project and somehow lost intrest..

last year i finaly put the engine back into the car and while working on the finnishing stuff to be able to drive the car with the 340 in N/A form i found more rust under the car than i want to think of,sort of lost intrest again for some time,finaly got around to start taking the car apart again and got the interior out of the car to start working on the rust isues,that where i lost my job i had had for 11years,had to abandon working on the car again until i found a new jobb and in that process i lost intrest once again,have been sick of seeing the car on its jackstands to be honest.. got a new jobb,with long days at work and a quite hard jobb to learn so that took some time to get over, now i have finaly got intrest again after half a week of vacation and this time i will work on the car everyday till its done and roars to life again,took the engine and trans out of the car today and started pulling the car out of the garage to get her out to be able to start cutting and welding outside..

Finaly the car is outside the garagedoors again after so many years,i realy hope i dont get sick of this again i realy look forward to be able to drive the car once again,and i realy look forward to work on the car again, tomorow i will pull the car the last 20 feet up onto the parkingspace and start cutting and welding some subframeconnectors and then start on the rockerpanels. i will even get the converter out to get it restalled tomorow.

i just hope i dont lose intrest again..

Thats all for now,sorry for the long writing,just in a real good mood right now.

We've all got projects like that, so don't lose hope! I started a garage addition to my house 26 years ago and this will be the year I finish it (I hope).:violent1:

took this pic,sorry guys its all i have of the current progress.

68GTXman Thanks i realy need some hope,i wish i had a house,but my home is a good one and the neighbours are cool with my hobby atleast:) regarding your garage build, could that be a good thing when it comes to taxes atleast?

if you wonder about how i get the car out,yes i do pull the car out with a manual winch,takes alot of time and effort but i got alot more time and physical endurance than money..

i got the car up on the flatsurface yesterday and started looking over what needs to be done(had to rethink this part some after looking things over in the daylight) :(
and today not much is getting done at all,a neighbouring family has a party for there kids ouside and dont want to disturb them,will get more done tomorow i hope.

maybe i should have put this thread in the section for projects instead?

68gtxman Thanks i realy need some hope,i wish i had a house,but my home is a good one and the neighbours are cool with my hobby atleast:) regarding your garage build, could that be a good thing when it comes to taxes atleast?

yes, the tax assessment was held low because the addition was incomplete. My building permit said it never expired unless worked stopped for longer than six months. So in theory, I added another nail to it every five months :glasses7:

The inspectors didn't seem to care that I've been using the garage the whole time for my cars, tools, etc. From the front and sides of the house, it looks completely finished, but from the backside, there is no siding, soffit or fascia. Even all of the electrical work has been completed for years. Now that the property values have dropped tremendously, I need to finish it and get the final inspection.

I love the way your Duster looks! Hang in there and get that engine back in.:blob:

yes, the tax assessment was held low because the addition was incomplete. My building permit said it never expired unless worked stopped for longer than six months. So in theory, I added another nail to it every five months :glasses7:

The inspectors didn't seem to care that I've been using the garage the whole time for my cars, tools, etc. From the front and sides of the house, it looks completely finished, but from the backside, there is no siding, soffit or fascia. Even all of the electrical work has been completed for years. Now that the property values have dropped tremendously, I need to finish it and get the final inspection.

I love the way your Duster looks! Hang in there and get that engine back in.:blob:

nice to have a good tempered inspector:)

Thanks alot! yeah the engine will drop back into its bay sometime,for now im focusing on the rustisues that are the worst,and creating some subframeconnectors,im a slowworking guy unfortionaly,i realy hate to start cutting into my car,but im confident that i will get the speed up as soon as i finaly make those cuts and start rebuilding,im not a beginer at cutting and welding(have done lots of it working with building exhaust stuff in the past as a job) im just alitle nervous about those first cuts so to speak.
Passanger side subframeconnector is built atleast and waiting for me to start cutting the floorboards and rear framerails i have the rearframerails marked for its cuts,i just cant start on it today since the weather looks like it might start raining soon:(

subframeconnectors are being built from 50x80x2mm square tubing translates to about 2x3.15x0.08inch it will be plenty strong for what im doing and fairly easy to weld with my little 230volt welder (230V equipment over here is similar to 110V stuff in the american system) would have been nice with a bigger 400V welder with more options for settings but i will just have to use alitle patience and it will turn out right since i dont have acces to any 400V pluggs in the wall,as a mather of fact i have to use my neighbours carheaterconnection out on the parking lots since its the only source of power that has a big enougn fuse to handle the welder and has good enough wiring from the houses electricalcentral.. o well it will get done given enough time.
atleast i have had time to leave my converter at the transmissionshop for a restall:)

fantastic, another setback,weldmachine is now officialy broken. somehow the weldlingwire managed to become one with the hose somewhere. and there is no way of getting it out,its a very basic weldingmachine and very few options for getting a new hosepackage for it,might end up buying a new welder with more options for settings and with a better hosepackage.

THAT is funny!!!

Lol ever been to Greece? they got that down to a science,there is more houses with a started second floor "being built" than there is completed buildings,as long as the building is not completed they pay no tax at all on the house.

will get more stuff into this thread,but for now im looking into buying a new welder, not sure on wich direction to go with my limited founds. i have been thinking alot about the ESAB CaddyMig c160i wich is a singlephase welder.
i only have singlephase for power unless i buy a 3phase extensioncable 100+feet in lenght and it would be a hassle to get to the houses mainelectricalcentral everytime i need to weld something. but that ESAB looks plenty good from the reviews i have found on it,and im picky about this since i know how much better the 3phase welders usualy are compared to the smaller singlephasewelders.

i have not given up on this thread,i have just been way to busy at work but i will get to working on my car soon i hope.

Great was planing to get my subframeconnectors done this weekend and start on the rockerpanels but that will be a no go,will go to work instead.

o well atleast i have that brand new Esab welder waiting for me to get some time over to actualy weld with it.

still no progress on the car,to much work,wich is a good thing and a bad thing. waiting for spring to come so i can start working on the rust isues,and in the spring i will work on the car any given chance,dont care if there is to much work at my job the car needs to be put on the road again.

will try to get around to rebuilding the transmission pretty soon,just need to match my schedual to a friends,he realy needs to learn how to get a transmission fixed and this is a great oportunity to help him out and see if i can pass my limited knowledge on to a good friend:)

also the engine is going to be ripped apart again,i realy need a 4"crank to make this fun;) or atleast a new set of pistons but a stroker would be the best.

I'm glad to see you're still making updates-we'll keep reading. Too much work is a detriment to finishing projects, but at least you won't starve or be out of doors. How big is the twin screw you picked up?

I'm glad to see you're still making updates-we'll keep reading. Too much work is a detriment to finishing projects, but at least you won't starve or be out of doors. How big is the twin screw you picked up?

Thanks,thats a motivation:) yep and im stupid enough to like to work:)

Its a 3.3liter capable of pushing air and fuel for somewhere north of 700hp im haveing second thougts about it right now,it would suck bigtime to run over the crank or kill the block,and not sure the 904 will love the torque either but we will see. there is more options on the shelf,an rpm airgap,a ancient edelbrock tunnelram and i think there might be another manifold forgoten somewhere.

might save that blower for a future Gen3 hemibuild if i find one by misstake.

still not much being done,have probably done alitle to much time at my job and with long trips to work i guess i managed to wear myself out,lost most of my energy and have been real down physicly for some time,possitive thing is that im on the right side of it again now and are getting some energy back,just had to refuse overtime for a few months. thinking about maybe getting a different jobb closer to home to get more time over to work on the car and enjoy life in general. we will see there seems to be some oportunitys open.

Maybe the overall scope of the project is getting you down.

Try making a list of smaller jobs that are obtainable. For instance, sub-frame connectors, left side quarter panel patch, floor repair, rocker repair, etc. Then concentrate on getting JUST THAT particular project done without any diverting to other things. Soon you will be checking things off your list and seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

Do you have a friend who is into cars that might want to help you out? Sometimes, depending on your personality, it may help to have a wing man for support. Is Ulf nearby? That guy inspires me.

I also found that scheduling time to work on your car may help. I used to work on mine every Tuesday night. "Don't bother me, I'm working on my car tonight!" Sometimes I'd work right to Midnight without realizing it until my wife would flash the garage lights. It soon got to the point that I would look forward to Tuesday nights.

And if I can offer a little advice, don't go too crazy on the engine at first, just get it running. Nothing like driving around in your old unique American Iron for motivation. Use the Air-gap for now as you can always change things later.

I give you guys a lot of credit for resurrecting American cars over there. If you need anything, just ask FABO. :cheers:

A bunch more things got in the way and pretty much lost intrest again,but im back at it now,just alot of things to get done and will make it into little projects and ignore the bigger picture for a while, i realy hate ignoring the bigger picture but doing that is probably the only way forward for now.

First i have to dig the car out of a pile of stuff and rearange the garage to make better space to work on the car.
The plan is to first create the space needed and get a bigger workbench and some more shelves to make space for everything to make things alitle more enjoyable,not being able to find things and not having a good workbench can kill anyones interest pretty quick.

And i will do something little on the car every day that im not going to the gym after work or any weekend day.Sadly ignoring the gym is not an option that would make my body and mind break down from work at work.

When im done rearanging things i will probably start with cleaning,sanding and repainting the enginecompartment, front wheelwells and floor under the trunk.Wanted to get that done after welding on the car to be able to do it all at once but that will never happen so im going at it this way instead.

The winter stops me from pulling the car out to weld the things that needs welded but i will start on other little projects instead that i can finnish.

Still working on rearanging the garagespace,have done something everyday and im starting to see the car behind all that junk again.These cleanups realy puts things into perspective.

Getting there, it takes alot of time but im getting there.Today i finaly cleared the cars exterior of parts and tools that has been ontop of it,i just need to put a couple more nights into working on the rearangements and then i can finaly start working on the car again,might get another workbench giving me more storagespace and workspace while im at it but not sure yet.

Took some time to decide on what color to paint the bottom of the car,it will be all white.
Got the transcrossmember primered and the first layer of paint on it,i had forgoten how terrible i am at painting things, its a festival of drips and runs but there is something possitive to say about it,im no worse than the blind guy who migwelded the crossmember at the factory who never opened the gasbottle and my poor paintskills will help hide his artwork. Yeah i will slow down and try to be less generous with the paint next time.
now im of to get a new light to use while working under the car since i just remembered how hot my present lights get(the 500+W kind you find att constructionsites).

-
Back