Finding the right Denso - amp rating

-

go-fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Alright folks,
Time for another alternator thread. I will try to keep this from being a "I'm dumb, just tell me what I need" thread.
I recently bought the AR Engineering Denso brackets and now I am looking for the right alternator. I think I have zeroed in on the one, 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 90 amp unit (13562). @mopowers is using one. From what I gather there is a "mini" and a regular sized Denso. I had a 1991 D150 120 amp alternator but it was a bit to big. The Toyota Densos are smaller.
I'll run you through my amp draw as close as I can come up with:
Pro FLo 4 EFI = 15 amp max current draw
Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump = 15 amps
Electronic Power Steering = 9 amps
Contour Fan = constant draw 33 amps / start up 135 amps
Relays for the fan and fuel pump. Edelbrock recommends any fuel pump above a 10 amp draw have a relay. I will be using the @crackedback headlight relay kit. The car won't have a stereo or A/C.
I have always rad that you just add up your current draw and choose an appropriate alternator. With all the things I have listed it comes in at 74 amps and then there is the headlights, wiper motor, and any other basic demands I may be missing.
Is a 90 amp the right size?

Denso 13562 ( courtesy of @mopowers )
alt_specs.png

I'll be curious what you go with. I just went with the 90.

I bought the alternator through napa and supposedly it was the last one in the country. It bounced around in a shipping box with no padding and was beat up. They brought out a napa version which was even more beat. Broken pulleys and terminal. We made 1 out of the two. But geez.

It is really clean relocating the alternator with the AR brackets.

If you decide to go with that 90A Land Cruiser alternator, look into the AL3239X Bosch unit at rock auto. That's the one I went with and it was $86 to my door (no core charge). I've got a spare 3-prong pigtail I'd be happy to send you for that one too. Just let me know.

Don't forget about idle output and pulley ratio too. The pulley on that AL3239X that I got measures 2.92".

If you decide to go with that 90A Land Cruiser alternator, look into the AL3239X Bosch unit at rock auto. That's the one I went with and it was $86 to my door (no core charge). I've got a spare 3-prong pigtail I'd be happy to send you for that one too. Just let me know.

Don't forget about idle output and pulley ratio too. The pulley on that AL3239X that I got measures 2.92".
I would appreciate the pig tail. I'll PM you my address. I was actually supposed to be up at McClellan this week for a fire class but I got booted because I didn't have a prerequisite.
I just snagged the AL3239X from Rock Auto. I had remembered that I recently got a discount code in an email recently. Saved $4.21!
About the pulley, it comes with a two groove. I would like to change to a single v-belt pulley. Using stack small block pulleys should I stick with the 2.92" alternator pulley?

I would appreciate the pig tail. I'll PM you my address. I was actually supposed to be up at McClellan this week for a fire class but I got booted because I didn't have a prerequisite.
I just snagged the AL3239X from Rock Auto. I had remembered that I recently got a discount code in an email recently. Saved $4.21!
About the pulley, it comes with a two groove. I would like to change to a single v-belt pulley. Using stack small block pulleys should I stick with the 2.92" alternator pulley?

Sure, I'll toss it in this afternoon.

I used to take my annual refresher and pack tests at McClellan. I didn't realize the Forest Service is still using that facility. Good to know!

Not sure on the pulley. On my big block, I use a 6-9/16" crank pulley, which spins the alternator shaft 1900 rpm at an 850 rpm idle. At 1900 shaft rpm, that graph shows an output of a little less than 100A at 12.8V. At 14.2V, I'd imagine it'd be proportionally lower. I'm no expert though. Maybe shoot Mattax a PM. He knows his ****.

Sure, I'll toss it in this afternoon.

I used to take my annual refresher and pack tests at McClellan. I didn't realize the Forest Service is still using that facility. Good to know!

It's a great facility but logistically it is in the wrong place. Last time I was there was for my Apprentice Academy and we had to drive about an hour to do our field work out on the El Dorado NF. It would be nice if the Forest Service built a campus that was actually near a forest.

Remember all that stuff is feeding off the battery too and the alternator is recharging the battery so I think your good. If you wanna mellow out that fan inrush current, put a soft start on it.

-
Back