fire extinguisher

-

moparornocar72

Jack Of All Trades
Reaction score
Where do you mount your fire extinguisher in your car/truck? Car shows sometimes deduct 3 points simply for not having one that can be seen and is easily obtained should the need arrise, also trying to figure out where to mount a small one in the 83 dodge d150. any suggestions?

when I get my mini counsle built for my dart its going to mount the the side of it

I have one mounted under the dash in my 69 Dart, directly under the glovebox door.
In the truck, you can mount it to the back wall of the cab, behind the drivers seat.
I always kept one in my cars over the years. I think they look cool, and.........ya never know!

George

A buddy watched his pride and joy 69 Charger burn because a fuel line came loose at the carb. I bet he wishes he had one mounted.

I didn't know car show judges deducted points for not having a properly mounted fire extiguisher?!?

Preferably in the center of the car.... so you can reach it through the passenger or driver door.

On my 69 Dart I clamped mine to the gas tank fill tube in the trunk, when you open it up its right there.

Kenny

I'm no fireman, but I know if you have an underhood fire, and you throw the hood open, you'll feed it big-time oxygen. Maybe a pro could chime in, but I'm pretty sure you just want to peek, and then let the extinguisher blast through the "peek hole". Of course, the hood may be too hot to open.
Also, those powdered bottles make a big mess. Halon displaces the air, puts it out cleanly.
My buddy was driving our car through the pits, and people hollered to him about an underhood fire. By the time he could stop and get our halon bottle off of the roll bar, guys had opened our hood and sprayed the powder type. While the help was certainly appreciated, we learned that the bottle needs to be VERY accessible, so we could get out and use the halon. That powder made a mess.

here in detroit they dont I dunno about where this guys from

A buddy watched his pride and joy 69 Charger burn because a fuel line came loose at the carb. I bet he wishes he had one mounted.

I didn't know car show judges deducted points for not having a properly mounted fire extiguisher?!?

On my '78 truck, I mounted it on the passenger side kick panel. On the race car it's on the center hump right behind the front seat. The motorhome has several throughout the rig.

I'm no fireman, but I know if you have an underhood fire, and you throw the hood open, you'll feed it big-time oxygen. Maybe a pro could chime in, but I'm pretty sure you just want to peek, and then let the extinguisher blast through the "peek hole". Of course, the hood may be too hot to open.
Also, those powdered bottles make a big mess. Halon displaces the air, puts it out cleanly.
My buddy was driving our car through the pits, and people hollered to him about an underhood fire. By the time he could stop and get our halon bottle off of the roll bar, guys had opened our hood and sprayed the powder type. While the help was certainly appreciated, we learned that the bottle needs to be VERY accessible, so we could get out and use the halon. That powder made a mess.

I have seen this somewhere long time ago but it worked.

A guy was having a fire under his hood as he pulled up to the drag strip. It was a heck of a fire. One guy pops the hood pulls his knife out and cuts the upper radiator hose close to the motor. The water came shooting out like a fire hose and the fire immediately went out. I don't know if it was a mess to clean up but it worked.

I have been a full time Fire Fighter for 30 years and have been to lots of car fires.
If you can open the hood right away do it, it helps to get the heat out of the engine
compartment and also helps to keep the fire from spreading to under the dash mostly
do to heat transfer. Although messy your best extinguisher is a ABC dry chem . Here in
Canada we can not use Halon by law and sorry to say the U.S. will soon be doing the same because of the affect it has on the ozone layer. Cutting the rad hose I think he got lucky by not getting scalded.

Kenny

Just one I googled but read # 22

OCA NATIONALS CAR SHOW RULES
Revised June 1, 2010
1.All entries must be driven onto the Judging area. NO VEHICLE SHALL BE UNLOADED ON THE CONCOURSE. Non adherence to this rule could forfeit your entry. Entries must be completely operable and should be able to start, pull forward, backward, turn and stop under its own power. The Head Judge, if he or she is in doubt, may request a demonstration of these functions.

2.All entries must remain on the concourse until the end of the Judging or 4:00 pm Judging day. Early departures may be approved by the Head Judge. Unapproved early departures will result in the forfeiture of an award. 3.Entries to be Judged must have the participant portion of the Judging form completed. The Judging form must be available in a conspicuous location at/on the vehicle during Judging hours. If not, the entry may be disqualified.

4.Each entrant or his/her representative must be present during the Judging of the vehicle. If this presents a conflict, the entrant must coordinate with the Class Team Captain or suffer possible point deduction. The Class Judges Team Captain has final authority as to when a vehicle will be Judged.

5.All entries must have an Oldsmobile body and a GM factory authorized installation or be entered in the MODIFIED Class. The class Team Captain has final authority as to when a vehicle will be Judged.

6.Anyone bringing a vehicle to the show which is NOT Registered, will NOT have the vehicle Judged. It will be permitted to be in “show only” if space permits. Hardship cases will be heard by the Head Judge.

7.Convertible tops will be Judged according to the Judging form. Whether the vehicle is displayed with the top up or down the top, it’s boot, the interior mechanisms and the rear window must be examined by the Judges.

8.STOCK / RESTORED STOCK means that the vehicle was available for public sale and is as it appeared when new plus any accessories of the era and so-called “Promo Vehicles” must provide proof of existence. Items that are WEAR DATED and have been replaced such as tires, shocks, mufflers and battery DO NOT exclude an entry from this class. DUAL EXHAUST does not force an entry out of this class. Any other item that has been replaced due to wear is permissible as long as the owner has attempted to restore the item as close as possible to the original. An original in good repair ( according to the Judge ) takes precedence.

9STREET STOCK means that the vehicle MAY NOT HAVE any of the criteria listed under the definition of MODIFIED. A Street Stock entry MUST HAVE either changes to the sheet metal and trim ( interior/exterior ) or improved carburetion /injection or ignition. Changes which DO NOT affect the vehicles street performance e.g. electric fuel pump, mag wheels, engine chrome, radial tires, etc. will not alone qualify the vehicle for Street Stock

10a.A MODIFIED entry has one or more of the following:
a.
a non-original GM power plant which is either “high-performance” or an increase of 50 cubic inches
b.
major body modification
c.
chromed or de-chromed 30% or more
d.
major change to riding height
e.
“custom” paint
f.
non original hood scoops
g.
vehicle set up for racing
h.
non stock suspension (except shocks)
i.
differential other than year of manufacturer for that vehicle
10b.RACE CAR CLASS. This class is for vehicles which may fit Street Stock or Modified but are set up for racing, and are being raced. As with other classes, bring Olds “spirit” literature and fire extinguisher.
a.
Identify type of racing car is set up for. Bring class rules (NHRA Etc.) and time slips. Cars in this Class must be actively raced.
b.
Be readily identifiable as “promoting” Oldsmobile on the track. c.
As a qualification for this Class, the entry should race at a sanctioned track and OCA event. Bring your helmet. If the entry cannot race at the event, bring recent time slips/racing verification to qualify for this Class. Regardless of the reason for not racing, remember that more points will be awarded for the show if the entry races at the show sponsored race. d.
Cars in this Class are understood to be “working” cars and not concourse restorations. Cars should maintain a high level of cleanliness and workman ship. e.
Modifications allowed by NHRA or appropriate sanctioning body can be used as guidelines. Engine modifications such as nitrous, fuel injection, non-stock carburetion and internal engine modifications, drive-train and suspension upgrades are accepted, consistent with Class rules. f.
Safety and performance modifications are required, consistent with theme/class rules. Full exhaust system, roll bar/cage optional. Show with your Class’ tires/wheels on or with the car.
g.
Modifications to body or interior accepted. Custom race-theme paint and decals accepted. Non-factory replacement outer body panels/bumpers are accepted if stock appearance (hood scoops allowed).
h.
Cars may be set up to exemplify current or past Class rules, but must be legal to race today in some Class (bracket racing OK if safety rules are not met.) i.
Weight saving tricks accepted if car looks “finished” and basically complete. Simply “gutting” the interior and omitting major components are not acceptable in this Class. j.
Radical cars such as tube chassis, and/or greatly altered wheelbase, floor, and interior are acceptable. There will be no advantage or disadvantage to a radical, tube chassis car compared to a Pure Stock drag race car, or heavily chromed race car. Presentation, workmanship, clean and finished appearance of components is being Judged 11.Unrestored /Original Class: Includes vehicles that are at least 25 years old and have retained original features as manufactured such as paint, upholstery, engine compartment, etc., essentially as delivered. Allowable exceptions are replacement of safety items such as tires and brakes. If ANY paint work, re-chroming or upholstery changes are made to the vehicle, the vehicle would be classified in the proper Stock/Restored Stock Class. This vehicle IS NOT JUDGED for points. It will be scrutinized for authenticity as noted on the “Certification Form” that will be made available to the owner to complete upon arrival at the show. A “Preservation of Original Features” certification paper will be presented to the owner at the Awards Banquet and this “one time” award may be displayed at future Nationals. ANY RESTORATION will forfeit this entry to Class 18 and the vehicle will be classed in the correct class at the time of registration.

12.Senior means that an entry in one of the Junior Classes has won a Best of Class and received a minimum of 975 points ( after 1998 ) at a National. The vehicle MUST then be entered in SENOIR Class at the next National it is entered. This classification will remain with the vehicle regardless of the owner. If an owner wishes to reclassify the vehicle he/she must make sufficient changes to the vehicle and show evidence of these changes to the OCA Chief Judge 90 days prior to the National pre-registration cut-off date.

13.SENIOR PRESERVATION includes vehicles that have won Best of Class as a Senior (highest 900 points). A vehicle in this class is still Judged but competes only against the Judging form whereas the Junior Class is “Peer” Judging. Each time the vehicle enters the National as a SENIOR PRESERVATION it receives a “Senior Preservation Participant” award from the Host Chapter and when it maintains 900 points or more it receives a year tag from OCA to be attached to the Senior Preservation Award it received the first time it won Best of Class Senior (BOC).

14.SENIOR/SENIOR PRESERVATION DROP: If an owner wishes to have a vehicle removed from either of these classes, he/she must adhere to the following:
a.
select the two lowest scores from any preceding nationals.
b.
ascertain the two lowest scores DO NOT total more than 1700 (lost Judging sheets or non-attendance scoring 901).
c.
notify the OCA Chief Judge 90 days prior to the National preregistration cut-off date.

15.Change of ownership DOES NOT effect the classification of the vehicle.

16.Awards will be as follows:
Entries scoring 700 – 799 third place
Entries scoring 800 – 899 second place
Entries scoring 900 – 1000 first place

Highest 900 points receives a Best of Class (BOC) Award in EVERY Class. In the Junior Class, the highest point entry with 975 or greater (after 1998) advances to Senior. In Senior Class, the highest 900 points advances to Senior Preservation.

17.BEST OF CLASS:
a.
In case of a tie for Best of Class the class Judges will review the operational integrity of the TIED ENTRIES. If the entries remain tied then one point will be given to the FURTHEST DRIVEN to the National.
b.
If, during regular Judging, the operational integrity is one of the criteria being used for the ENTIRE CLASS then the furthest driven (above) rule will take precedence.

18.If after Tabulation a class scores are deemed to be low the Head Judge may, after reviewing the entire class, assign points to more fairly reflect the standings of the vehicles in that class. This adjustment will be made to the Judging sheets of ALL the vehicles in that class.

19.FOR SALE signs are prohibited on Judging day and shall not exceed 5” x 7” at any time.

20.A Judge MAY NOT Judge a class in which he/she has an entry or has participated in the restoration of a vehicle in this class.

21.Vehicles that are obviously in the wrong class MUST be brought to the attention of the Team Captain who will inform the Event Head Judge for reclassification.

22.Each entry MUST HAVE its own FIRE EXTINGUISHER placed at the LEFT FRONT wheel of the vehicle. A deduction of 20 points will be made if missing or if the extinguisher is deemed to be inoperative.

23.Paint DOES NOT have to match the VIN color code of the vehicle. If the vehicle was only offered in certain colors e.g. Rallyes and Hursts, the entry MUST be that color.

24.“Accessories of the Era” will be treated as dealer options and proof of authenticity may be required. (Supportive Literature )

25.There is NO PENALTY for updated safety / security equipment which would include but is not limited to: car alarms, seat belts, tail/brake lights, directional signals, battery disconnect switch or any State Law requirement.

26.This is a concourse and NOT A DRAG MEET. Tire squealing, hot rodding, loud radios, are cause for penalties ranging from point deductions to DISQUALIFICATION. Enforcement of this rule is the responsibility of the Head Judge and/or the OCA Chief Judge.

27.UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. If a participant behaves in such a manner as determined by the Head Judge and/or the OCA Chief Judge, the entry will forfeit any points and the participant will be asked to leave the National Meet.

28.The LONGEST DISTANCE AWARD winning vehicle must have been DRIVEN versus trailered to the National.

29.Any entrant may challenge (accompanied by $20.00) the operation, authenticity or classification of a vehicle in their respective class on or before Judging day. This challenge is to be presented to the Event Head Judge ONLY. If in the opinion of the Head Judge the complaint is unfounded, the deposit shall be forfeited to the National Meet General Account. The decision of the Head Judge shall be final and shall be deemed to have been made with the full knowledge of the OCA Chief Judge and is final.

30.If the optional “Beater Class” is used there shall be no BOC awarded. It is suggested that an “appropriate” award be designed by the Host Chapter.

31.Judging Sheets WILL NOT be returned to the participant for the duration of the National Meet but they will be made available to the participant if requested within 30 days following the conclusion of the event. This request is to be sent to the Host Chapter. Postage is the responsibility of the Participant.

32. Each National Meet Host Chapter may supplement these rules. In case of conflict, the OCA JUDGING RULES shall prevail.

33.ALL entries MUST have a minimum of 3 SUPPORTIVE LITERATURE Documents (build sheet, sales brochures, sales invoice etc.) and a minimum of 3 SPIRIT ITEMS (Chapter cap, jacket, membership card, OCA decal, dash plaque, etc.) displayed with the vehicle.

Our Mopar Southern Classic gives 5 BONUS points for having it . . . I put velcro strips on the back of mine and attach it between the seats on my Prowler for judging, haven't figured out that issue for the Dart, but I need to, just a short 4 weeks away.

-
Back