fireing order? 225 slant 6

-

iwanagofast!

Reaction score
any body know the firing order for a 225 slant six, on both the block and dist.? any help would be supper helpfull.

I just remember my old shop teacher telling us what it was 153624 he would say- 15's too young, 36 is too old, 24 is just right! It stuck with me for 30 years. Good luck!

4fortyDemon, At my age 36 is too young, I never thought I be saying this but women in their 60's are sexy.

Darter6, yeah- I'm 46. however my wife is 34 so, I'm still good! 24 these days - well yeah, great eye candy but most have nothing upstairs, can't keep their hands off their cellphone...used to be other things.

Here's one you'll get a kick out of, I've made money betting on this one

Did you know that the popular Mopar / GM V8 18436572 is the same as the old Ford 289/302/352/390, etc, 15426378? It's because of course, that Ford numbers the cylinders on passenger side 1234 front to rear, and driver side 5678. If you draw it out, "cylinder for cylinder" they are the same firing order!!

(You have to overlap the orders, IE 1 Mopar is same as 5 Ford, so the Ford becomes 54263781, or if you go the other way and start with 1 Ford, 2 Mopar, it becomes 21843657)

got it running the kid i bought it from had #1 in #5 hole and so on...set of new points a condencer cap and roter plugs and wires. and shes purrin like she jus roled off the line!

Did you know that the popular Mopar / GM V8 18436572 is the same as the old Ford 289/302/352/390, etc, 15426378? It's because of course, that Ford numbers the cylinders on passenger side 1234 front to rear, and driver side 5678. If you draw it out, "cylinder for cylinder" they are the same firing order!!

(You have to overlap the orders, IE 1 Mopar is same as 5 Ford, so the Ford becomes 54263781, or if you go the other way and start with 1 Ford, 2 Mopar, it becomes 21843657)

Fords always made my head hurt.... so retarded with their firing orders.

Fords always made my head hurt.... so retarded with their firing orders.

Well, now you know how to get around it--setup no1, which is "no2" on a Mopar, and start from there with the Mopar firing order, using the "normal" Mopar cylinder numbering!!

IN other words, bring up the timing marks, and pretend its a Mopar. Stick No2 in, and then run around ccw with 21843657!!

Don't mean to bring up and old thread but just making sure there isn't any issues with mine. I did a tune up on it this weekend, cap/rotor/wires/plugs. Seems to be running pretty good but I nuke things and dig further then any human should on most things. Just making sure there is no issues with the setup on mine. This is my first car with a distributor.

After reading through my manual the distributor is installed with number 1 cylinder at TDC, so I assume the distributor should only go in one way. The picture that Dan referenced above shows the orientation of the distributor cap/wires in relation to the block with #6 and #2 basically right next to each other and parallel to the block.

However after the tune up and reconnecting everything the way it was before I have this. Which basically has #2 and #6 kind of off at an angle to the block rather then in a straight line with it.

The firing order itself is correct and the car starts up and runs just fine. I may be overly paranoid but my OCD wants to know. Please disregard the oil there on the valve cover. She will be getting the royal treatment in the engine bay and all as soon as it warms up here in Chicago. Thanks in advance for all the help guys.

Your distributor cap & wire orientation looks pretty much like mine. It can really be any where as long as the relationship of the wires and towers to the rotor button are correct, and the wires are in the right order, and timing adjusts right. The position of the vacuum advance pot really determines the range of rotational angles where the distributor body sets.

So did you use a timing light to check base ignition timing when you were done? (I ask since this is your first distributor car.)

BTW, I went through Great Lakes 42 years ago! ET A1-A4 schools....but I got to be there in spring and summer.

I didn't check it with a timing light yet but I probably will today since its gonna get pretty warm and reach 29 degrees. Like I said there isn't any real issues with it. I'm more so just checking things over since I just picked it up and I'm doing all the maintenance to make sure she's ready for the 4 months of sunshine we get a year up here.

I just remember my old shop teacher telling us what it was 153624 he would say- 15's too young, 36 is too old, 24 is just right! It stuck with me for 30 years. Good luck!
I will remember this the rest of my life!! Thank you and your shop teacher. Theres some folks that are natural teachers and he souns like one of them! Thanks again for a memorable lesson!!

I will remember this the rest of my life!! Thank you and your shop teacher. Theres some folks that are natural teachers and he souns like one of them! Thanks again for a memorable lesson!!
You bet!! Lol. 35 years later and it still sticks with me. Good luck!

Yup, same here. We had one cool old shop teacher, too.

Ford? numbered the cly that is NOT the most forward as #1. WOW.
This may be an old resurrected thread, but the Passenger bank IS the forward bank, unlike most everybody else..

Only works if the engine doesn't have the 4/7 swap cam, which did come factory so.....

-
Back