FIREWALL INSULATION

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
Does anyone else have problems putting in the plastic pins that hold the firewall insulation ? Ive tried a big rubber hammer, grease but no go. Some i can get in just enough to hold the insulation. Some not at all. I dont want to ream the holes out if i dont have to. Any tricks or ideas

Repros are junk compared to the 50+ year old OE's. Warm them up and find a punch that fits tight in the hole to push them in.

Better yet is a stepped punch or ejector pin that fits the hole and the step pushes on the outer collar. The pin inside the hole will keep them from collapsing as you push them in.

I had no issue installing the pins I got from DMT when I installed mine. They sell just the pins if you want them.

I said to hell with it and used Kilmat.

I used Christmas Tree pins on my hood insulation. I about broke my thumb with the oem style pins.

I had trouble with the DMT pins in some holes. Paint around the holes makes them slightly smaller. The pins would collapse and bent before going in some of the holes. On the few holes that I had trouble with, I put a small tapered punch inside the hollow pin. Tapping on the punch helped them to go in and not collapse.

I used Christmas Tree pins on my hood insulation. I about broke my thumb with the oem style pins.
E2C6D173-2E59-4341-A71B-B2B4B29D8DF1.jpeg
Poor, poor Mike.

Poor, poor Mike
That looks like my sister's thumb, she broke it ice skating and did not have it set.

The same happens installing the rubber between the quarter and side glass in hard tops.

-
Back