First 408 build and going with indy heads

-
This will be a daily driver with lots of miles put on it that's why I went with that size and a hydraulic cam
But I can always up size the cam if i want more.

All the more reason to ditch the squish lifters. IMHO to use a hydraulic lifter in your application is a crime. A SFT will make more power, RPM higher and live just as long as a HFT without the HFT limitations.

I say PISS on hydraulic lifters. If that is what Hughes is telling you, they would be wrong IMHO.

Not enough duration? It seems like enough lift?

I could live with the lift. The OP is using parts that are good enough to easily make power to 7500 RPM and have a killer engine. I just re-read the OP and I'm not a fan of that small header on that many inches either. But the rest of it is top notch. Just don't like the cam.

Not enough duration? It seems like enough lift?
Correct. For maximizing power. But that’s it IMO.
Let’s step back a second and remember that duration is the RPM band of which the cam will have the engine perform in. While a stroker or this size eats up some duration, he still wants it in a super drivable range. The torque band (major majority of it) is in a low range where he is cruising.

The lift he has is taking advantage of the heads available air flow. But just for a short time.

There is an old saying, just because you can doesn’t mean you should.
Always build your car for you.
Error on the side of caution. You can always go bigger later.

Yep. ... the 1 5/8 header will not be enough. Certainly not with 2.10 intake and 1.65 exhaust...
Is this a combo that Hughes recommended?
I asked Ryan to build a motor that would be mostly street driven and have a Sleeper profile... and my motor is way more radical than yours.
I really think you would be amazed at how driveable a solid roller is.

All the more reason to ditch the squish lifters. IMHO to use a hydraulic lifter in your application is a crime. A SFT will make more power, RPM higher and live just as long as a HFT without the HFT limitations.

I say PISS on hydraulic lifters. If that is what Hughes is telling you, they would be wrong IMHO.
Wrong for what? You or him?
Sorry to see a guy can’t build his car his way without someone telling them they are wrong for a small cam in a driver.
He can always step up later if the need arises.

Either way it will be fast... he is just leaving HP on the table for the sake of supposed reliability... and frankly I am tired of hydrualic cams and the issues that go along with them .
Just wait 1 month and read the maladies of my current 5.9 magnum build...lol

I buy all my engine combinations from Hughes engines. They recommended this camshaft for my set up since it is going to be driven daily and on the hwy. They special build all there cams to get maximum power out of them. As long as it puts me running where I want to be and i can daily drive it with little maintenance I prefer it over a solid lift cam
Oh you've been reading their hype page about there "special build" cams? LOL they don't grind cams, they resell them. LOL

Hydraulic cam was my preference with what I had ran in my 360 set up. Ran same cam and lifters for 17 years never adjusting them and never any problems with great power. I will get with them and upgrade to solid before install

Either way it will be fast... he is just leaving HP on the table for the sake of supposed reliability... and frankly I am tired of hydrualic cams and the issues that go along with them .
Just wait 1 month and read the maladies of my current 5.9 magnum build...lol
Let’s not go there. Anyone can pick apart anyone else build and make that claim of leaving HP on the table.
Oh you've been reading their hype page about there "special build" cams? LOL they don't grind cams, they resell them. LOL
They have a certain someone grind cams to there wishes and put there name on the label. Perfectly fine since there grinder is t grinding the cams for themselves.
So that is not reselling (someone else’s) cams.

Yep. ... the 1 5/8 header will not be enough. Certainly not with 2.10 intake and 1.65 exhaust...
Is this a combo that Hughes recommended?
I asked Ryan to build a motor that would be mostly street driven and have a Sleeper profile... and my motor is way more radical than yours.
I really think you would be amazed at how driveable a solid roller is.
I will also get with TTI and see if they recommend the larger headers instead of the step headers that go from 1&5/8 to 1&3/4. Those step headers are rated at 575hp without loosing bottom end torque. That's why I was looking at that size header

Let’s not go there. Anyone can pick apart anyone else build and make that claim of leaving HP on the table.

They have a certain someone grind cams to there wishes and put there name on the label. Perfectly fine since there grinder is t grinding the cams for themselves.
So that is not reselling (someone else’s) cams.
They contract someone to grind their cams they do not build them. Very simply put.

It's just nice for the original poster to at least know that he can have his old cam reground to any spec he desired for $79 plus shipping. They're all just a piece of cast iron nothing special.

I agree.... wasnt trying to pick apart the build... but if he hadnt already had the parts I was trying to help out.
I was concerned about my first W2 build... it was a 11.5:1 .. 360 with a .638/278ish solid cam that Herb McCandless personally walked me thru .
I thought I would never be able to drive this car on the street !

It was no big deal ! Less duration would have made it nicer but it was actually ok.

Wrong for what? You or him?
Sorry to see a guy can’t build his car his way without someone telling them they are wrong for a small cam in a driver.
He can always step up later if the need arises.

He can build it anyway he wants. How many guys have been sucked into hydraulic rollers that ended up hating them? Many. I won't do those ever again.

It's 2018. I can't imagine Hughes suggesting all the cool **** the OP has and then saying lets run a hydraulic lifter. It limits RPM to maybe, MAYBE 6500 if your **** is wired tight, and most likely the valve train will be so unstable at that speed it will beat itself to death. I laugh when guys say they turn 7000 plus with hydraulic lifters. I've seen it done. But it's rare. We did it with 20w50 oil, 3/8 pushrods and enough seat load to put the lifter at its mechanical limits as far as hydraulics go.

I always give the end user benefit of the doubt. As in I can teach a retarded 3rd grader to lash valves. It isn't hard. If the geometry is correct you may lash the valves once a year. Maybe.

Again, no reason to run a hydraulic lifter.

He can build it anyway he wants. How many guys have been sucked into hydraulic rollers that ended up hating them? Many. I won't do those ever again.

It's 2018. I can't imagine Hughes suggesting all the cool **** the OP has and then saying lets run a hydraulic lifter. It limits RPM to maybe, MAYBE 6500 if your **** is wired tight, and most likely the valve train will be so unstable at that speed it will beat itself to death. I laugh when guys say they turn 7000 plus with hydraulic lifters. I've seen it done. But it's rare. We did it with 20w50 oil, 3/8 pushrods and enough seat load to put the lifter at its mechanical limits as far as hydraulics go.

I always give the end user benefit of the doubt. As in I can teach a retarded 3rd grader to lash valves. It isn't hard. If the geometry is correct you may lash the valves once a year. Maybe.

Thats what the site is for. Gaine knowledge from people that has experienced past issues and see what u guys recommend. I am definitely listening and will be looking into a solid cam for sure. Better now then not liking it after it's all together and in the car

Run the cam you have then switch to a solid and make your own opinion.

Honestly ...ypu have Pro Stock heads with an MPG cam... I think a more balanced combo will make you happier.

Run the cam you have then switch to a solid and make your own opinion.

Honestly ...ypu have Pro Stock heads with an MPG cam... I think a more balanced combo will make you happier.
I was thinking just that. Plus for now if I want extra I can touch it with a 100 or 150 shot of nitrous here and there. I have been running nitrous for over 20yrs at those rates with never any issues. I never want to run over 150 on anything. It's just there for that little boost when i want it.

I suggested the hydraulic cam because that is what I have always ran. Plus I liked the Indy head and intake combo so Hughes went with what I wanted and told me that I could always step up to the solid roller later since I would already have the top end to handle it

Like I said..... you can always go bigger later.....
Or he could always go smaller later? Ask me how I know...
I'm on my second regrind of an original purple performance cam for... $79.
Now the original poster has plans for what next year? And we're getting comments from yellow rose who has plans to do work on his car??? LOL I should have my cam in and be breaking it in by next weekend hopefully. We shall see what the Lord's plan is...

I suggested the hydraulic cam because that is what I have always ran. Plus I liked the Indy head and intake combo so Hughes went with what I wanted and told me that I could always step up to the solid roller later since I would already have the top end to handle it
Personally I like the grind of the cam a little bit and I'm curious how it's going to run but I do agree on the solid lifters. I assume those rockers are adjustable anyways?

FYI I have the Hughes roller rockers and I like them but I don't wave their flag too much.

-
Back