First 408 build and going with indy heads

-
Or he could always go smaller later? Ask me how I know...
I'm on my second regrind of an original purple performance cam for... $79.
Now the original poster has plans for what next year? And we're getting comments from yellow rose who has plans to do work on his car??? LOL I should have my cam in and be breaking it in by next weekend hopefully. We shall see what the Lord's plan is...

I'm planning on writing some checks next week when my beautiful can shows up next week. And yes, I will post pictures.

Are those iron heads? If that Indy intake is as tall as mine you'll need a hood scoop. I'd probably run some more duration and definitely bigger headers.

Definitely a fun ride, but if it has an 8 3/4 it will be short lived if it ever hooks hard. It will probably live forever on the street though.

I will also get with TTI and see if they recommend the larger headers instead of the step headers that go from 1&5/8 to 1&3/4. Those step headers are rated at 575hp without loosing bottom end torque. That's why I was looking at that size header
Your headers will be perfectly fine for your intended usage. I have the same ones on my 408 and made 543 hp and 562 torque with hydraulic roller from Hughes 237-241 @ 0.050, lift at .580. I also wanted a driver. Although I have had no issue with my hydraulic roller which WAS a custom grind through Hughes, I may switch to a solid flat tappet. Engine revs so quick, my personal safety RPM is 6000 to be cautious with the hydraulic roller lifters, with solid flat that fear goes away. Personally I'd never use a solid roller on street unless it had a bushed roller wheel. My friend had one come apart in a well built small block Chevy, it destroyed the engine.

Last edited:
I ran a solid roller 440 6 pak in my 70 Charger and used it as a daily driver for 2 years. It was a smallish .550 Crower .
Idled great , mileage was good (15ish hwy) and would destroy tires when I needed (wanted) to..

Are those iron heads? If that Indy intake is as tall as mine you'll need a hood scoop. I'd probably run some more duration and definitely bigger headers.

Definitely a fun ride, but if it has an 8 3/4 it will be short lived if it ever hooks hard. It will probably live forever on the street though.
they are aluminum heads and the intake is the tall one. There will be a hood scoop on car. It is an 8&3/4 rear end with sure grip and i have had no problems with that. I have 2 complete extras sitting in wait if there is a problem.

20180330_204941.jpg

Some good fuel or even mixed fuel will be just fine. Plus octane booster can be used. Will be more fuel expensive but will be fine

I had a 383 with 11:1 compression, the octane booster didn’t keep it from pinging. I ran 110 in it but, didn’t drive it too much because of the cost.

That should be alot of fun!
I hope the OP has a good budget for tires,because that thing is going to destroy alot of tires.

Yeah, if you are talking about the OP I'm 19 bigger on the intake and 13 bigger on the exhaust at .050 and he didn't give his seat numbers. But that is a hydraulic so he's not dealing with lash ramps either. We care very close on lift though.

Yeah, if you are talking about the OP I'm 19 bigger on the intake and 13 bigger on the exhaust at .050 and he didn't give his seat numbers. But that is a hydraulic so he's not dealing with lash ramps either. We care very close on lift though.
Cam range is 2400 to 6400 rpm

Screenshot_20180523-174241.png

I ran the older version of the cam the OP is using in my 340, 11.4-1, TTi 1 5/8- 1 3/4 headers, ported edlebrocks (2.02 valves) that flowed in the mid 290's. It ran mid-low 7.20's on pump 93 at 3240#. The same heads with 2.055" valves on my 408 ran high 6.50"s at the same weight with a hughes flat solid, 260/264 @ .050, .628/.633, 10.8-1 and 1 7/8 Headman headers. Both engines liked 6400 rpm shifts best.

My 408 broke the fresh 8 3/4 in my Dart on the second pass it hooked up.

I ran the older version of the cam the OP is using in my 340, 11.4-1, TTi 1 5/8- 1 3/4 headers, ported edlebrocks (2.02 valves) that flowed in the mid 290's. It ran mid-low 7.20's on pump 93 at 3240#. The same heads with 2.055" valves on my 408 ran high 6.50"s at the same weight with a hughes flat solid, 260/264 @ .050, .628/.633, 10.8-1 and 1 7/8 Headman headers. Both engines liked 6400 rpm shifts best.

My 408 broke the fresh 8 3/4 in my Dart on the second pass it hooked up.

What's the difference between your older grind and what the OP has?

What's the difference between your older grind and what the OP has?

The new grind has a little more lift.

I see some guys mentioning low end power being better with the cam the op chose, a 4" crank will have tons of it with a much bigger cam. When I spoke to Dave Hughes about my 408 being fastest shifting at 6400 he told me I didn't have enough head flow and that cam should like 7200 or so. He also told me the cam was to big for what I was doing. I'll agree with him on it running out of air but not on it being to big. It had power everywhere, down low, mid range, it didn't matter.

From my expierence if you build a 4" stroke engine and it doesn't have a butt load of low end, you have made a serious mistake somewhere. Either in choosing parts or on assembly.

The new grind has a little more lift.

I see some guys mentioning low end power being better with the cam the op chose, a 4" crank will have tons of it with a much bigger cam. When I spoke to Dave Hughes about my 408 being fastest shifting at 6400
Making use of the available torque in a big way!
Woo-Hoo!

It had power everywhere, down low, mid range, it didn't matter.

From my expierence if you build a 4" stroke engine and it doesn't have a butt load of low end, you have made a serious mistake somewhere. Either in choosing parts or on assembly.
And that’s the main idea right?!?! LMAO!

-
Back