First build

-

John Ayers

SecondCuda705
Reaction score
I bought a 1965 Barracuda Formula S. I found out that both heads have cracks. I was told that these can be pinned. The cracks are near the water jacket and not around the compression area.
Has anyone repaired these heads and had success, I'm concerned?
I was told that 318 ci and 340 ci heads will fit on the 273 ci block, is this a fact?
I was really hoping that I could keep this vehicle stock but have a limited budget. Any suggestions?
secondCuda705

I bought a 1965 Barracuda Formula S. I found out that both heads have cracks. I was told that these can be pinned. The cracks are near the water jacket and not around the compression area.
I was told that 318 ci and 340 ci heads will fit on the 273 ci block, is this a fact?
I was really hoping that I could keep this vehicle stock but have a limited budget. Any suggestions?
secondCuda705
It might be cheaper, and better, to just get another set of undamaged heads. The regular 318/340/360 heads will bolt on but there may be valve clearance issues.

I had much better luck when mine were repaired with epoxy. The pinning kept leaking and leaking and leaking.

318 and 273 are the same head.
340/360 and magnum valves are to large.

It might be cheaper, and better, to just get another set of undamaged heads. The regular 318/340/360 heads will bolt on but there may be valve clearance issues.
I've been looking for some used 273 heads. Any suggestions on where to look?
Also need a cam. any recommendations on this?

Be aware of intake manifold bolt angle change between 66 and 67-later heads. You should be able to find a set of 273 heads on this site. Put a request on the parts wanted forum.

If you can't find any 273 heads a set of 318 ones should work. But I would defer to others on this site for their better expertise as to exactly which heads will work best.

I have many sets of 273 heads for you, and may have the perfect set! They're 65 heads, have been stripped and cleaned and can come with all of the valves and springs and other items that were removed! Best of all, they'll be cheap, because shipping will be a big factor here! I live in Michigan, near Ann Arbor if you live close by! Message me and we can talk about getting you what you need!

I have a '65 273. I live in the NW corner of IL. I would sell you just the heads, or the whole motor. PM me if your interested, thanks.

secondCuda705
Problem solved below. Good man below.
Just for your information;

The first 2 years of the small block have smaller bolts installed at a different angle. IF you use a newer head, you’ll need a newer intake or grind the old intake bolt boss to work.

The small bore of the 273 limits valve size so a stock 318 valve will fit inside. A 360 or 340 intake valve, 1.88 - 2.02 respectively) will not fit.
I have many sets of 273 heads for you, and may have the perfect set! They're 65 heads, have been stripped and cleaned and can come with all of the valves and springs and other items that were removed! Best of all, they'll be cheap, because shipping will be a big factor here! I live in Michigan, near Ann Arbor if you live close by! Message me and we can talk about getting you what you need!

I tried to send a response but I'm new to this so if you get something twice, forgive.
I live about 280 mile south of Ann Arbor. A friend found a set of head off of a '69 273. According to others on this site I would need to get the intake for these. So saying that it might be better if you and I can work something out.
Let me know if you received my message. I'm trying to navigate this site and I'm not too good at it yet.

@cosgig

These cracks, are they to the outside of the heads. Why I ask is .did this freeze and crack, maybe check the water jacket sides of the block too.

secondCuda705

The heads are at a machine shop at this time. He said that the cracks were in both heads by the water jacket. The thing is that I didn't have any coolant in the oil when I drained it and it didn't seem to be coming out of the exhaust when I ran it before tear down. I will call him tomorrow and see if he will send me a picture to post.

Can someone tell me how to post a PM on this site. I'm old but new at this. Thanks!

Simple, the PM is now known as “Start a Conversation”.
Click on the screen name of the person you want to start a conversation with which is private between you both, or more if you choose & just follow along.

Thanks for your help. I'll get there sooner or later.
Your welcome.

When you hit the reply button, just wait for the quote to come up and then comment above or below the quote tags that look like —-> [ QUOTE ]

Then you won’t have double posts. ;)

-
Back