First Magnum Motor, Needs Guidence (5.9L Ram)

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
ok guys well i got another heard member! here is our new 1997 dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.9L!

anyways its going to be a hauling beast, all tq and good mpg is the plan!

for short term im looking into a full volant CAI, SCT tuner, and Exhaust.

the latter is where im stuck!

here are the ideas

stock mani's thru 2.5" pipe, y pipe, high flow cat, then single three inch all the way out.

same but with shorty summit headers

then im thinking dual 2.5" with x pipe and dual cats. problem is it has the long tank on the drivers side so i dont know how easy it would be.

last if i go thru the motor i'll do a super tq 408 with hughes EFI top end (will do intake when i have the money), dual 3" with x pipe

So what do you think?

P.S.

Add any upgrades you recommend for the ram! and im already changing out those leaky stock covers with push in plugs!

Attachments

• 0430131531.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 314
Valve springs! Hughes 1110,matching retainers. A good timing chain(double roller). A 3.9 May v/6 timing tensioner. Look at EQ/Rhs heads,for reliability. The E/Q's ,are a super heavy casting,(Aussie made),172 c.c. intake port/58 c.c.chamber. Stock is 152 c.c.intake runner,62 c.c. chamber. Stock cam,roughly 195/205@.050..410/.430 ish lift.(1.6 rocker stock.)....

They have great torque from factory what kinda torque are you looking for?

Check the heads make sure they ain't cracked, if so heads obviously. Get a thinner head gasket, from factory they're thick gaskets robbing compression. Port and polish the heads while they're off.
Headers and exhaust probably the better choice. 2.5 all the way back. 3inch is overkill for a smallblock 360. Unless you do single pipe.

I think if you wanted an economical hauler turbo cummins would be a good investment. Ya know what you say...once you go black you never go back...

Just my .02 correct me if I'm wrong on anything

Nice info. 1121G Mr gasket,.028" compressed. Stock,between .050-.055". Might check out,LXguy's(www.Magnumswap.com) thread. Not for F.I apps,but good general info. The new head castings(both),a tick over six bills. Spent 3 hours,porting one intake(stock,4666 heads). Not worth it....

yea i know theres alot in the head work on these but until i have issues or i have the money they stay.

so dual 2.5" or single three, cool!

i would prefere to stay aluminum when i go to new heads, Hughes makes a whole top end kit but for 4600 its kinda not in the price range. intake is nice though

These run really good. Enjoy....For what you are doing,stock has a nice intake runner length. Watch for the seeping intake manifold plate,as well.Good to hear from you.....

These run really good. Enjoy....For what you are doing,stock has a nice intake runner length. Watch for the seeping intake manifold plate,as well.Good to hear from you.....

yea thats what im trying to get away from... the keggers can have issues.

im excited to have a tow vehicle for the dart and Michelle is happy to tow her horses so its a win win!

Your post would be a whole lot easier to read if you would use caps at the beginning of your sentences as well as proper punctuation.

IMO, just do a muffler, CAI, tunner!

torque and gas motor.....now there is an oxymoron if there ever was one.....want torque, get an oil burner.......

-
Back