Project Big Block 74

-

Hallzy

Reaction score
First of all this site is awesome what an incredible resource of knowledge and information thanks to all members!!
Anyways 74 Swinger 318 904 8.25 bbp front discs
I have secured a 4bbl eddy 600cfm and performer intake I have dual exhaust but need to install headers which I also have waiting.
Not a bad start but what I really seem to need would be some 302 castings
Trying to keep it cheap as I have a 5.9 in the old truck as well which at some point will likely be in the car
Thanks in advance for any info or advice as I said this is my first project and I have very limited knowledge

IMAG3436.jpg

IMAG3433.jpg

IMAG3431.jpg

IMAG3429.jpg

IMAG3329.jpg

This reminds me a great deal of my 74 swinger when i first got it! I sweat 90% of the 73-74 cars have this interior color! Mine was actually that color inside and out when i got it.
Luckily you're starting with a V8/Disc car...mine was slant with a 7.25 and drums.lol

If i can help with any new parts, or knowledge let me know. Glad to take care of a member kicking off a project.

And i have to ask...what the Peavey AMP Sticker on the dash?lol i don't recall my car even having a "pocket" there.

Before
upload_2017-2-2_8-20-1.png

After
upload_2017-2-2_8-20-50.png

View attachment 1715014079

View attachment 1715014081

welcome aboard. Glad to see another beak car getting back out there.
2 things i can think of for advice.
1: Tailights, if yours are cracked or damaged, keep an eye out at all times for a good set, they rarely come up but when they do, they are pricey.
2: check the area behind the bumper shock mounts on the rear, over time the bumper shocks leak and rust forms behind where they bolt to the frame. Seen this on many a 74.

As mentioned above ,you already have a good start with the discs and i'm assuming an 8.25 rear. thatll save you about 1000 right there.

There's no pocket just a sticker there put there by the previous owner I guess I'm pretty happy about that dash though not a single crack and everything in the cluster works

welcome aboard. Glad to see another beak car getting back out there.
2 things i can think of for advice.
1: Tailights, if yours are cracked or damaged, keep an eye out at all times for a good set, they rarely come up but when they do, they are pricey.
2: check the area behind the bumper shock mounts on the rear, over time the bumper shocks leak and rust forms behind where they bolt to the frame. Seen this on many a 74.

As mentioned above ,you already have a good start with the discs and i'm assuming an 8.25 rear. thatll save you about 1000 right there.
Yup 8.25 rear tail lights are good but front signal light lens is toast

There's no pocket just a sticker there put there by the previous owner I guess I'm pretty happy about that dash though not a single crack and everything in the cluster works
You got lucky for sure there. hows the floor pans?

Welcome from Southern Alberta. Looks like a good platform. Another Alberta member here, Dartnut, has a few parts cars and may have some of what you need.

Everyone has a budget . I would not cheap out on body , paint and interior . Just not worth it in the long run . Engines , transmissions , axels , brakes , wheels and tires are a dime a ton . 1974 Dart Swingers are NOT . The days are gone when anyone can pick these cars up for a couple of hundred bucks . Quality restoration canidates are few and far between these days . I started in the Mopar parts business in 1984 and sent a lot of cars to the crusher because I thought they were too far gone to bring back . Now they are considered clean . Go figure . I guess what I'm suggesting is : do your best , be patient It is a long road but there is a reward at the end . good luck

You got lucky for sure there. hows the floor pans?
I haven't got the carpet out yet just pulled out the front seat and got called back to work so I'm at a standstill for another two weeks I was banging around with a hammer on the carpet and if my ears aren't lying I'm betting they are in pretty good condition

Last edited:
I haven't got the carpet out yet just pulled out the front seat and got called back to work so I'm at a standstill for another two weeks I was hanging around with a hammer on the carpet and if my ears aren't lying I'm betting they are in pretty good condition
if so, you've hit the lottery then.

Everyone has a budget . I would not cheap out on body , paint and interior . Just not worth it in the long run . Engines , transmissions , axels , brakes , wheels and tires are a dime a ton . 1974 Dart Swingers are NOT . The days are gone when anyone can pick these cars up for a couple of hundred bucks . Quality restoration canidates are few and far between these days . I started in the Mopar parts business in 1984 and sent a lot of cars to the crusher because I thought they were too far gone to bring back . Now they are considered clean . Go figure . I guess what I'm suggesting is : do your best , be patient It is a long road but there is a reward at the end . good luck
Thanks I intend on taking my time and doing it right to the best of my abilities I don't know much and that's part of the reason I'm doing this I love the self teaching and experience I gain from doing things myself I hope to ask many questions but in the end do everything myself

check the area behind the bumper shock mounts on the rear, over time the bumper shocks leak and rust forms behind where they bolt to the frame. Seen this on many a 74.

Good tip: something to check when I get home. By the way I'm in the minority with a black interior.

Welcome! Looks like a solid base you're starting with. My Scamp and I spent a few winters living in Edmonton before moving to the west coast.

Ordered the summit 6900 cam and lifters today and a new double roller timing chain and a full gasket kit looms like I have plenty of work to do when I get back home....
Right on

Got the 4bbl conversion nearly done just waiting on a throttle bracket and a new electric choke as the original on got broke during shipping also got seats out and getting reupholstered red and black carpet ordered and lots of other items ordered too can get much done with only four days off every three weeks but plugging away at it

IMAG3329.jpg

IMAG3461.jpg

Got the 4bbl conversion nearly done just waiting on a throttle bracket and a new electric choke as the original on got broke during shipping also got seats out and getting reupholstered red and black carpet ordered and lots of other items ordered too can get much done with only four days off every three weeks but plugging away at it

View attachment 1715019711

View attachment 1715019712
Gonna stay blue or paint the whole car black?

Ordered the summit 6900 cam and lifters today and a new double roller timing chain and a full gasket kit looms like I have plenty of work to do when I get back home....
Right on
Actually leaving this cam out of the equation for now as I have been told its going to hurt more that help unless I can bring my compression up this apparently is not a good cam for me
It's in my garage reminding me to minimize the rookie mistakes

Yep....I took them off too. I blasted the bumpers and painted them body color. I found those lenses on eBay from Mexico to replace.

Last edited:
-
Back