First Time...

-

GreyWizard

Reaction score
I took The Barracuda to Bandimere Speedway last evening. I am a 62 year old, life long drag racing fan that had never taken the tree. I had a blast!

I definitely have some tuning issues to work out. The car wanted to roll over right after the launch and then pick up and go. The carb is out of the box and likely needs rejetted for the nearly 6,000’ altitude.

My best time slip was a 17.64 @ 78.22. The “penalty box” index for the car is 16.7.

I am still trying to wipe the grin off my face.

I took The Barracuda to Bandimere Speedway last evening. I am a 62 year old, life long drag racing fan that had never taken the tree. I had a blast!

I definitely have some tuning issues to work out. The car wanted to roll over right after the launch and then pick up and go. The carb is out of the box and likely needs rejetted for the nearly 6,000’ altitude.

My best time slip was a 17.64 @ 78.22. The “penalty box” index for the car is 16.7.

I’m up in Georgetown, when I take my dart down to Denver and Bandimere it runs a lot smoother. I haven’t taken down the track yet but want to. I jetted my carb down for the higher altitude. Might try that and see if it runs smoother.

I’m up in Georgetown, when I take my dart down to Denver and Bandimere it runs a lot smoother. I haven’t taken down the track yet but want to. I jetted my carb down for the higher altitude. Might try that and see if it runs smoother.

I hope to be back at Bandimere next Wed for Test and Tune. Come on down and look for me. I am confident I will have the only ‘65 Barracuda on the property. :)

• tell us more about the car... 273 ?
  • penalty box... LOL.. must've been look'n in the 2018 small block race :D Care to join? just post your build over there and we'll get ya added.
  • most importantly, glad you had fun :)

• tell us more about the car... 273 ?
  • penalty box... LOL.. must've been look'n in the 2018 small block race :D Care to join? just post your build over there and we'll get ya added.
  • most importantly, glad you had fun :)
The car:
1965 Barracuda, freshly rebuilt 318 (69), stockish cam, Eddy Performer intake, Eddy 1406 Performer carb, stock distributor, original 904 tranny, 7.25”/2.93 open rear, 215/60R15 rear tires.

. I jetted my carb down for the higher altitude
Im in Fort Collins 5000 feet and went down 2 steps lean on my 67 2bbl. I think i should have left it alone. The HC was 1000 higher than before the rejet. And it has a random misfire. The co or co2 was higher as well and everything i have read seems to indicate a lean misfire.

life long drag racing fan that had never taken the tree
I know you had to add an overflow. Was there anything else like 5 point harness etc?
It leaks oil and trans and diff but only drops when its parked would that be an issue?

I might have to meet you down there one evening. My tired old 67 2bbl 273 dart convertible would be a kick to run.

Im in Fort Collins 5000 feet and went down 2 steps lean on my 67 2bbl. I think i should have left it alone. The HC was 1000 higher than before the rejet. And it has a random misfire. The co or co2 was higher as well and everything i have read seems to indicate a lean misfire.

Edelbrock has a rod/jet combo for the 1406 that is 1.5 steps lean. I am thinking of giving that a try.

Is it difficult to change the rod/jet combo in an Edelbrock Performer?

I'v got the OE bbd 2bbl. Im looking for a new set of sealevel stock jets 120-310s

I know you had to add an overflow. Was there anything else like 5 point harness etc?
It leaks oil and trans and diff but only drops when its parked would that be an issue?

I might have to meet you down there one evening. My tired old 67 2bbl 273 dart convertible would be a kick to run.

Yes, their main focus seems to be the overflow (at least a pint), the carburetor return spring (double) and the battery tie down.

The seat restraint rules are based on time. I have only a lap belt. There are special rules for convertibles. You might be required to wear a helmet and possibly gloves both of which are available for rent at a nominal charge.

The rules say the vehicle can not leak fluids. The staging lanes however, look like the parking lot of an auto parts store. I think if you do not have an active leak you will be fine.

That's awesome !!! ..so glad you were finally able to check that box. ...and to hear your enthusiasm is a bit contagious.. :)

That's awesome !!! ..so glad you were finally able to check that box. ...and to hear your enthusiasm is a bit contagious.. :)

It is interesting you put it that way. I had told my wife a few years ago, taking the tree at Bandimere was toward the top of my bucket list.

I'v got the OE bbd 2bbl. Im looking for a new set of sealevel stock jets 120-310s

I have the original 273/2bbl from the Barracuda sitting in the garage. I do not know if it is the same carb or what jets it may have. If however, it is of any use to you, it is yours.

It is interesting you put it that way. I had told my wife a few years ago, taking the tree at Bandimere was toward the top of my bucket list.

lol I know that feeling all too well. When I broke my cherry, I smiled like the Joker for 3 days! lol

Gotta warn you though.... This experience will slowly infect your blood stream over night, and you will start thumbing over old magazines with your morning coffee.
and it will intensify in the next week to come and you'll start getting the shakes.
Don't go see your Doctor though, just place an order with Summit or Jegs. You'll feel just fine when your order shows up.
BTW, you may not need a blue pill … lol

I tried jetting my carb up and down and seems to work a lot better going down. I’m at 9000 ft above sea level. I also advanced my timing a hair. I had the 1406 eddy carb on my 383 before and It didn’t like it. I tried changing the springs and rods but had no luck so I switched over to a quickfuel 750 and my 383 run much better now.

Yes, their main focus seems to be the overflow (at least a pint), the carburetor return spring (double) and the battery tie down.

The seat restraint rules are based on time. I have only a lap belt. There are special rules for convertibles. You might be required to wear a helmet and possibly gloves both of which are available for rent at a nominal charge.

The rules say the vehicle can not leak fluids. The staging lanes however, look like the parking lot of an auto parts store. I think if you do not have an active leak you will be fine.

I worried all about that stuff for our first trip to the track too. What you need is a pretty girl!
I have sent Dany up to have the car tech inspected at 2 tracks, no less than 8 times this summer, and they have never opened the hood yet. We made it 4 times with the trim rings still on and no one noticed!

That's Awesome! Back when I first built my Barracuda it had a stock 318 with an "RV" cam, stock everything else, an 8 3/4 rear with 3.23 gears. At Bandimere it ran a best of 16.5 when it was like that, but most of the time it ran 16.7......then the speed bug hit....nitrous ensued...good times.

Have fun!

We made it 4 times with the trim rings still on and no one noticed!
Trim rings as in wheel trim rings?. Do they make you take hubcaps off?. Not sure the covetable top will go up in one piece and has only been up to 65 on the interstate in recent months before i put it down. Can i run with the top down? Not that it will brake 65 anyway!

Trim rings as in wheel trim rings?. Do they make you take hubcaps off?. Not sure the covetable top will go up in one piece and has only been up to 65 on the interstate in recent months before i put it down. Can i run with the top down? Not that it will brake 65 anyway!
Yea, hub caps, wheel covers, trim rings etc. Dont want them coming off and going into the crowd.

That's awesome! Glad you took it and let it eat. Keep enjoying the car - that's what they are built for....

I downloaded an app Track Addict and went out to a relatively flat long straight road. the road runs almost due east. The app came back with 26.35 s at 70.2 mph for 1/4 mile. I don't know how accurate the app is? The 1 to 2 shift was about 40 mph and the 2-3 shift was just under 70. I had a stumble at about 50 mph (I think it is a fuel starvation due to fuel heat vapor lock issue like i have at hot idle) but it cleared its self. on the return run same road opposite direction at about 50 the engine kicked and bucked and I let off the gas and it recovered but wasn't happy after that.

I downloaded an app Track Addict and went out to a relatively flat long straight road. the road runs almost due east. The app came back with 26.35 s at 70.2 mph for 1/4 mile. I don't know how accurate the app is? The 1 to 2 shift was about 40 mph and the 2-3 shift was just under 70. I had a stumble at about 50 mph (I think it is a fuel starvation due to fuel heat vapor lock issue like i have at hot idle) but it cleared its self. on the return run same road opposite direction at about 50 the engine kicked and bucked and I let off the gas and it recovered but wasn't happy after that.
What app is it?? I wanna download it and see what my car will do.

What app is it
trackaddict on a android.

It is a bit wonky but after a few test runs you get the hang of it.

It will video tape each run. When you are set to go press the record button and it waits for movement to start recording. I had mine flat in the seat.

on my first run it thought I ended the run off the coast of Africa and said my average speed was 1,324,203 mph. but it did capture data through 1/4 mile.

-
Back