Fist sized hole in the floor.

-

S.Rodney

"Hang 10" owner
Reaction score
'Sup Fabo.

In my restoration thread, I mentionned we found a fist-sized hole in the floor (driver side, near the transmission tunnel).

The Carpet is rotted/molded/disgusting... so, gotta replace it... completely.

Here's my question:

Would you have the whole floor redone (no matter how good the rest of the original floor is) or cut the rotten part and only patch this hole ?

I don't know exactly how bodyshops order their parts but from AMD, I don't see "only front left floor" I see the whole Dart Sport floor for 450 USD... Hence why I'm asking...

I used one of these. It fit nice. I had the same deal. So I just cut out the bad spot.

Photo so we can see where the hole is?

upload_2019-4-2_14-21-1.png

Body shops will order whatever is available and cut out what's needed, at least on collision work (insurance jobs)

I would see if you could find that patch from a donor carjust to save some money. Just make sure you identify all of the rust before making the determination of what's needed.

You could end up making multilpe patches when one complete floor pan would solve all the issues with a little more work.

Personally, I wanted to see what the rest of the inside of the frame rails and the inside and tops of the rocker panels looked like. If your not concerned, patch it.

I have holes bigger than that in the rear floors of my 64 Valiant. All I am doing is replacing each individual panel.

I had a fleeting thought it was a hole for a shifter and about fell off my chair when the op sent the picture. :poke: Hell, we still don't know.

Pull the entire carpet before you order anything. If you've got one hole that big there's definitely a chance you have more. Or at least other spots that are weak enough to replace. Once you've got the whole carpet out you can see what you've got, if that's the only spot you can just order a patch. If it's one of a few (or many) then replacing the whole thing might be better.

-
Back