Fitech and throttle cable question

-

grimreaper

Cross Member
Reaction score
Has anyone succesfully used the large 1/2" throttle cable position on their Fitech throttle body with a stock cable? I originally hooked the throttle cable for my early A Body to the lower hole but the throttle pedal is stiff. When I move the cable to the top hole with an aluminum bushing for a Holley carb I cannot get full throttle opening but the pedal stiffness is releived. It seems that the Fitech throttle travel is greater than the full travel of an early A Body cable in that position. I thought I'd ask before I try a half a dozen of my futile ideas like I usually do :)

I have a Gen 2 hemi with the 2 four barrel set up and I measured the pull and it was 25 lbs. to open the carbs that are synced together. I complained to FItech and they say they don't have a problem. I can not feather the throttle with that much pull. There's not much you can do with the linkage because you have to use the Mopar adapter for the linkage. Everything is designed for chevys.

I have a Gen 2 hemi with the 2 four barrel set up and I measured the pull and it was 25 lbs. to open the carbs that are synced together. I complained to FItech and they say they don't have a problem. I can not feather the throttle with that much pull. There's not much you can do with the linkage because you have to use the Mopar adapter for the linkage. Everything is designed for chevys.
I used the big hole on a hot 406 sbc w/ a 850 double pumper, worked well for me. Sounds like u need to experiment w/ diff cable set ups.

I have enough cable travel with a 850 Holley carb in the big hole too. Just not enough with the Fitech.

Last edited:
Remove the wound spring on the primary throttle shaft, and then use a conventional throttle return spring. Problem solved

That is what I did first. Then I thought I could use the Fitech return spring if I moved the cable up to provide more leverage. Turns out the Fitech throttle travel in the high hole is 2.56" while Holley carbs in the high hole are 2.1". Early A-body cables max travel is 2.25". The cable pull tension with a Holley and factory return spring in the high hole is 4.75 lbs. The Fitech in the lower hole is 8.3 lbs and in the top hole is 6.7 lbs. I'll probably end up going back to the Fitech return spring removed and use the conventional return spring. I was just wondering if someone has come up with a solution I haven't thought of.

That is what I did first. Then I thought I could use the Fitech return spring if I moved the cable up to provide more leverage. Turns out the Fitech throttle travel in the high hole is 2.56" while Holley carbs in the high hole are 2.1". Early A-body cables max travel is 2.25". The cable pull tension with a Holley and factory return spring in the high hole is 4.75 lbs. The Fitech in the lower hole is 8.3 lbs and in the top hole is 6.7 lbs. I'll probably end up going back to the Fitech return spring removed and use the conventional return spring. I was just wondering if someone has come up with a solution I haven't thought of.
sounds like u got a good handle on it !

I used the Holly adaptor.

IMG_0636.JPG

The above is how I set up my 2 throttle bodies using the holley adapter. Is there a commerical adapter to use the bigger holes? If there is, I'd be willing to try it. I could probably make something up, but then I need two.

DSC04647.JPG
DSC04645.JPG
I got my adapters years ago from Performance Automotive Warehouse. They look like this. I'm pretty sure I saw the same thing in a mail order catalog recently but I don't remember where I saw them.

Thanks for the info. I'll try a couple of auto stores to see if maybe Help or Dorman has something I can make work. I just had my driveway repaved so haven't run it in a few days and tomorrow it's supposed to be nasty with one of the stupid hurricanes giving us a soaking. Will keep you informed.

Wondering how this turned out for you. I am in a similar situation with a dual quad set up. I just cant get wot on them. Did removing the coil springs on the fitech unit allow you to fully open it using the factory pedal set up?

I'm still using regular carburetor springs with the fitech spring unhooked and the lower hole. I haven't figured out a better solution yet. I get full open with the low hole but don't really care for the spring setup I have.

By chance your pedal wouldn’t be bent down a little to cause this issue? Can u bend the pedal up a little to help u out without making it uncomfortable to drive cause the pedal is too high. Kim

-
Back