Fitech

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the best fuel pump set up. Needs 58 pounds pressure. An inline pump or the fuel system contained in the plastic tank that mounts under the hood and is fed by ur mechanical pump. What would/have u used or recommend. Thanks. Kim

I have the Fitech on my 66 Mustang, I initially tried their fuel system that is supplied by the mechanical fuel pump, just didn't work for me. I upgraded to the Tanks Inc. fuel tank and in tank pump and it works great. The only pump they had was a 400LPH that you can use the modulating output with, most I read about using the in-line pump mounted to the frame or somewhere on the car complained about noise,

I heard bad reviews of the tank under hood setup so I used the external pump and burnt out 4 of those.

Now I switched to an aeromotive phantom fuel pump in the tank and have no issues.

Thanks for the reply billsdartgt. My kit is the 30003 400hp. My car is a 75 duster 360 with 41,000 original miles. So probably an inline pump on the frame rail may be my best option. The charcoal canister would need to be removed to get the plastic tank in. I don’t really wand to change the tank. Kim

Thanks for the reply billsdartgt. My kit is the 30003 400hp. My car is a 75 duster 360 with 41,000 original miles. So probably an inline pump on the frame rail may be my best option. The charcoal canister would need to be removed to get the plastic tank in. I don’t really wand to change the tank. Kim
same set up using tanks fuel tank with internal pump can't go wrong

I would just add to make sure the pump will work with the modulating output, while setup is easy there are a few settings you need to do beyond just plug and play, the Fitech website has a ton of info and there is a thread on a Chevelle forum that has been going on for years with all the good, bad, and ugly you can stand to read.

Yes I built my own fuel tank, from stainless, due to inboard spring, mini tub and exhaust out the rear.

I originally used a walboro 392 external pump and it was on the framerail near the bottom of the tank. It was noisy but worked for a few hundred miles and then left me stranded. Re tried another walboro and moved it on to the tank at the bottom and same problem. Upgraded the hose feeding the pump to a 1 inch line and it still burnt out.

So skip all the hassle and just build your own tank with the aeromotive pump and be done with it.

I run a w5 headed small block stroked to 418 with a833. Neighborhood of 500 to 600 hp

get an in tank set up and be done with it. that tank thing that goes under the hood is just stupid.
Other issue is it takes up a lot of room.
On the 66’ Barracuda I built I used a Tanks inc. Early “a”tank with the built in Bosch fuel pump and they assured me it was 100% compatible with the FI tech I was using.
I bough from another vendor 3/8” stainless line and a 5/16” molded fuel lines (press and return) for the 66’ Barracuda. With 500 miles on the clock on the system- knock on wood all is good in the world. Also the fuel tank float gauge worked as the factory one did.
ADD7CDE4-0FA2-4B50-99EC-4B1A34BE1C40.jpeg

Yes I built my own fuel tank, from stainless, due to inboard spring, mini tub and exhaust out the rear.

I originally used a walboro 392 external pump and it was on the framerail near the bottom of the tank. It was noisy but worked for a few hundred miles and then left me stranded. Re tried another walboro and moved it on to the tank at the bottom and same problem. Upgraded the hose feeding the pump to a 1 inch line and it still burnt out.

So skip all the hassle and just build your own tank with the aeromotive pump and be done with it.

I run a w5 headed small block stroked to 418 with a833. Neighborhood of 500 to 600 hp

this is the first problems I have heard with these pumps . Porches and Mercedes uses these pumps as there oem pump . I have been running 3 now for over 8 years and one in diesel fuel which it is not recommended for for hundreds of hours . thanks for sharing your experience I guess there are duds in most everything made .

Thanks for the reply’s guys. I like the idea of the external pump. Would the NHRA push lock hose and fittings work with fuel injection? Or what hose do u guys recommend? Thanks. Kim

What is the best fuel pump set up. Needs 58 pounds pressure. An inline pump or the fuel system contained in the plastic tank that mounts under the hood and is fed by ur mechanical pump. What would/have u used or recommend. Thanks. Kim
I guess I'm different from the rest because I'd run the fuel command center before I'd do the inline pump again. The command center is an easy install. Most inline pumps require a return on them and by the time you drop the tank, add the return and get the pump mounted you might as well have done the tanks inc tank and pump. Unless you have bigger pick up on the sender you'll need to replace it and the returns that come on the senders are not big enough so you'll have to modify the tank or add one somehow. That said, I ran the FiTech 40101 inline pump and was not happy with it. It was a lot of work to install and very noisy. They warrantied a pump for me and it was noisy too. They said it was probably due to my installation but I don't see how that would have been the problem. To there defense I could not find much online about any on going issues with the pumps but I gave up and ended up going with the Tanks Inc set up.
If you want to give it a try let me know, I have two pumps with almost no miles on them, the prefilter and a new 1/2 inch sender I can hook you up with.

I am running the Fuel Command Center. many people talk **** about it, but mine is the Gen1, still going strong. It's just a surge tank. It's easy to install. Mine is right where the horns originally mount. I went the FCC route because I originally didn't trust the Fitech, so in the trunk I kept my old holley and a fuel line. If the FitTech crapped out on me, I could simply swap the throttle body for the carb, throw the fuel line on from the mechanical pump to the carb, and head home. I never intended for the FCC to be permanent and if/when it ever fails, my plan is to go Tanks Inc with submerged pump.
I also strongly suggest using a much better fuel filter than supplied with the kit, and using an external fuel pressure regulator. Your system won't use 58psi, off the top of my head it's 43psi..

Tanksinc, Hyperfuel in-tank, ptfe lines(teflon covered in braided stainless), AN fittings, Wix filter/regulator mounted to the frame by the tank.

I believe you can now get a Hyperfuel pump that fits the Tanksinc fuel pump ring, I had to cut mine out to fit the larger diameter pump. Worth it for the AN fittings.

Don't use efi rated hose in the tank, it can't take being submerged, use the plastic stuff with clamps at both ends.

Ptfe lines and fittings are so easy, I only bought a cutter, assemble with ordinary wrenches. Also, they don't deteriorate with modern gas or seep/smell when sitting for extended periods of time.

Tanksinc tank has many features, and it's new, all a big plus with efi. Their sending unit works great. Their pump with npt brass fittings, no thank you.

You spent the $ on the efi, don't skimp on the pump, tank, lines, etc.

I have the FiTech 1200 2x4 setup. I used a Walbro 392 with a filter before and after the pump. The pump is mounted to the frame next to the stock tank and the return line ends at the top of the tank at a bung I put in. Not a hiccup yet after two summers.

Jack

CPP sells a a body kit, new tanks inc etc, and they supply a corvette filter regulator that puts out 58 psi. This is what I installed, you use a short return line from reg. back to tank. I haven't bought efi yet but am leaning toward a sniper unit.

Complete Fuel Injection-Ready Tank Kits toward the bottom of page is one for mopar a bodys. Those pushlock connectors they mention are a ***** to get in that fuel line. The tank is a Tank Inc, nice tank. Everything seems like good stuff. As soon as I get my pressure gauge I'm going to check for pressure and leaks. I'll update after I ck. They say you don't need any clamps on fitting. I'll update that too.

Last edited:
Other issue is it takes up a lot of room.
On the 66’ Barracuda I built I used a Tanks inc. Early “a”tank with the built in Bosch fuel pump and they assured me it was 100% compatible with the FI tech I was using.
I bough from another vendor 3/8” stainless line and a 5/16” molded fuel lines (press and return) for the 66’ Barracuda. With 500 miles on the clock on the system- knock on wood all is good in the world. Also the fuel tank float gauge worked as the factory one did. View attachment 1715401851
Why are you running 2 breathers ? pump and tank . Do you have a breather line on your filler neck as you can use the tank breather pipe and tap into that as it’s positioned much higher and cap the one on the pump. Just my 2c nice setup ! Have the same for my sniper they are good quality no issues here.

get an in tank set up and be done with it. that tank thing that goes under the hood is just stupid.

Front tank deal depends on the car, I have a buddy that uses one w/ a mechanical pump that runs low , bumping the eights ! 350 cubic inch sbc !!

I have the FiTech 1200 2x4 setup. I used a Walbro 392 with a filter before and after the pump. The pump is mounted to the frame next to the stock tank and the return line ends at the top of the tank at a bung I put in. Not a hiccup yet after two summers.

Jack

I have had a fast 2.0 set up on my car from day one, frame mounted adjustable pressure inline pump , supposedly good to 800h.p. , been on there for 6-7 yrs.
Filter always before the pump and after too, cant hear it once the engine is started-----------have dual feedss coming out of the back of a stock new A body tank , return is piped back into the original new 3/8 pick up in front ,with the sock cut off ------------
don't know what brand pump it is , it has their name on it ---very pricey on their website tho.

Why are you running 2 breathers ? pump and tank . Do you have a breather line on your filler neck as you can use the tank breather pipe and tap into that as it’s positioned much higher and cap the one on the pump. Just my 2c nice setup ! Have the same for my sniper they are good quality no issues here.

I am not sure why the breather on the pump and tank to be honest. That was what Tanks Inc set me up with. The two lines go to a roller over breather after the “t” or “y” what ever that junction Is classified as. I mounted the breather up high. I believe there is a breather on the fill pipe as well. All I know now is I don’t have any issue with fuel puking back from the fill pipe like I used to. No running fuel down my quarter panel during fill ups. Also all that fuel line (black rubber) is Gates Green stripe. The fuel line designed for ethanol gasoline. Joe

-
Back