Fitting needed to use braided fuel line

-

C2ndLTpigeon

Mopar or no Car!
Reaction score
Looking to see if anyone has used and Edelbrock 8123 braided fuel line with a stock mechanical fuel pump. I was a bid disappointed as I had asked a question on summit if it would work with a stock mechanical pump and the other end to an edelbrock filter at the carb.

Behold it does not fit at the fuel pump. Any suggestions on where to find a fitting? I had no luck at home depot.

Here is the line:
136823744_401964924395573_3016406787959632139_n.jpg
136967683_404506704203662_1173763117424553105_n.jpg
136679878_309849950428290_5089518573688811820_n.jpg

If you don’t mind steel there should be at least one hydraulics place in your city. It looks like they sent out 3/8 pipe and you need 1/4 pipe?

Back in the day I live 10 minutes from a hot Rod shop and you could buy that stuff right off the shelf. There are still a couple of places local to me I can find it that have aluminum.

It depends on the pump. Some like the "traditional" "take apart" Carters are pipe thread. Most are inverted flare, usually 5/16 inverted flare, just like a brake tube. There are various specialty companies that make these types of fittings. Most are not "standard" fittings, and it must work with the specific hose you have. Saying "it's braided hose" is not enough, you need to identify that the fitting is compatilble

Yeah, it's made to fit the Carter HP pumps that came on some 340s. That 90 is 1/4" NPT. The inlet and outlet on those HP carter pumps were the same, so yeah it will fit "those". If you're running a high performance engine, you should have that style pump "anyway".

Looking to see if anyone has used and Edelbrock 8123 braided fuel line with a stock mechanical fuel pump. I was a bid disappointed as I had asked a question on summit if it would work with a stock mechanical pump and the other end to an edelbrock filter at the carb.

Behold it does not fit at the fuel pump. Any suggestions on where to find a fitting? I had no luck at home depot.

Here is the line:
View attachment 1715665324 View attachment 1715665325 View attachment 1715665326

A stock fuel pump uses different fittings than some of the aftermarket pumps so you need to figure out what you have before you can figure out what you need. And you aren't going to find AN fittings at Home Depot. Post a picture of your fuel pump and someone on here will figure out which fitting you need. My guess is that you'll need an inverted flare to AN which is actually a fairly special fitting. NAPA might carry a fitting like that but not Home Depot. More likely you'll need to order from Summit or find a race car place in Riverside that carries AN fittings.

My bad. I said 1/4 pipe but it's 3/8. Here's what I recommend. Rather than restrict it at the pump, get this.

DODGE Carter M6270 Carter Strip Super Mechanical Fuel Pumps | Summit Racing

Then all you need is an easy as hell to find male 1/4 NPT to female 3/8 NPT fitting and a male 3/8 NPT to "whatever size" ( I assume 5/16) hose barb. That way, you have a REAL HP fuel system from the pump to the carburetor and can upgrade the pump to tank line at a later date. What you're doing is trying to connect race bred stuff to stock stuff and that "generally" doesn't work so well.

My bad. I said 1/4 pipe but it's 3/8. Here's what I recommend. Rather than restrict it at the pump, get this.

DODGE Carter M6270 Carter Strip Super Mechanical Fuel Pumps | Summit Racing

Then all you need is an easy as hell to find male 1/4 NPT to female 3/8 NPT fitting and a male 3/8 NPT to "whatever size" ( I assume 5/16) hose barb. That way, you have a REAL HP fuel system from the pump to the carburetor and can upgrade the pump to tank line at a later date. What you're doing is trying to connect race bred stuff to stock stuff and that "generally" doesn't work so well.

I agree with using race stuff on stock stuff. Not sure what other options there are out there to connect the factory pump to and eddy performer. Right now I have the original line cut in half with fuel line connecting that to the screen filter. This was supposed to be temporary.

It depends on the pump. Some like the "traditional" "take apart" Carters are pipe thread. Most are inverted flare, usually 5/16 inverted flare, just like a brake tube. There are various specialty companies that make these types of fittings. Most are not "standard" fittings, and it must work with the specific hose you have. Saying "it's braided hose" is not enough, you need to identify that the fitting is compatilble

If I were looking for an elbow I think it needs to be a 3/8 NPT going to the line and 5/16 to the fuel pump. Seems like a specialty kind of fitting.

Stock stuff is usually inverted flare. So it's either going to be the 5/8-18 posted above or the 1/2-20 like this:
Earl's Performance 961946ERL Earl's Performance AN to Inverted Flare Adapter Fittings | Summit Racing

My friend's car when we set it up we used the above. The thread is the same as a wheel stud for a large bolt pattern mopar if that helps you match it up. An elbow fitting would have to have a swivel after the fitting to seal because the fitting needs to deform it and the cone at the bottom slightly to seal. My opinion the best bet is to either use a straight fitting and a 90 degree hose end or an intermediate swivel fitting.

img_20160719_204558-jpg.jpg

Here is a picture of a 427 inch SB that I built back before EFI was available. This one used a mechanical pump with a 90 degree fitting that went from NPT to AN. But this required the HP type of fuel pump which has NPT threads. The stock fuel pump doesn't accept pipe fittings.
dougsp.jpg

-
Back